Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Races in early 2012

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have searched through couple of event calendars but they're fairly sparse at the moment.

Looking for 10m or Half-Marathon races taking place between January and and April next year. I'm hoping to do the Dungarvan 10 in January but can't find anything else :confused:

Cheers in advance, cm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have searched through couple of event calendars but they're fairly sparse at the moment.

Looking for 10m or Half-Marathon races taking place between January and and April next year. I'm hoping to do the Dungarvan 10 in January but can't find anything else :confused:

Cheers in advance, cm

The Munster 10 mile race series: Mallow, Dungarvan, Ballycotton, Kilnaboy

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Wicklow Half Marathon & 10km is on the 25th of March
    website is being worked on but basic stuff is up www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2012, unless you've managed to harness the power of those neutrinos which have been found to be faster than light.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The Munster 10 mile race series: Mallow, Dungarvan, Ballycotton, Kilnaboy

Do you know, what Dungarvan and Kilnaboy are like? Are they fast courses? I'd like to give Dungarvan a shot, will probably do Ballycotton next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ThisRegard wrote: »
    2012, unless you've managed to harness the power of those neutrinos which have been found to be faster than light.

Thread title edited, just in case he hasn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

RayCun wrote: »
    Thread title edited, just in case he hasn't

To clarify, I don't have the power to harness neutrinos but I do have the capacity for brain-fart style typos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

eoin ryan wrote: »
    website is being worked on but basic stuff is up www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com

Will this be on same day as the Dunboyne 4mile like last year does anybody know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Do you know, what Dungarvan and Kilnaboy are like? Are they fast courses? I'd like to give Dungarvan a shot, will probably do Ballycotton next year.

Dungarvan is a great race. It was my first race at any distance so I suppose I have fond memories.

It was €20 to enter last year. It has water in bottles with all you can eat sandwiches, tea and brack after the race. Throw in a Nike Dri-fit "Dungarvan 10" top and you have a race with value that I have yet to see beaten.

The course is mostly flat with a bit of drag back along the main road to the finish. Marshals at every corner. Great support along the way.

That and the Mallow 10 will definitely be in the race calender next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

eoin ryan wrote: »

Bring that half forward a week Eoin and it's perfect for Rotterdam and Paris - go on you know you can - the 'Paddy's Day Massacre'

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Bring that half forward a week Eoin and it's perfect for Rotterdam and Paris - go on you know you can - the 'Paddy's Day Massacre'

I second that suggestion.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

There's two half marathons in Northern Ireland around that time (Larne and Omagh). I remember considering them as warm-up races for London Marathon (which I assume is your objective too).

Omagh Half Marathon is on March 31st, Larne is showing as date tbc.

I second that suggestion.....

+1 - would be ideal for my Boston prep too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's the 2 races in the series I haven't done yet.

Dungarvan is supposed to be quite flat and fast, and by all reports the organisation is excellent.

Kilnaboy is the smallest of them all, due to being a bit further away. I think it's a bit hilly, but nothing too bad.

Dungarvan is supposed to be quite flat and fast, and by all reports the organisation is excellent.

Kilnaboy is the smallest of them all, due to being a bit further away. I think it's a bit hilly, but nothing too bad.

Ran Dungarvan this year, it really is a gem of a race, relatively flat, little hill at the start, same again about 6 miles and a challenging one up the main road just after 8 - but the reward is a downhill last mile.
    Organisation is top notch, people calling out splits at every mile, great stewarding, great value about €20, tech top and enough brack, biscuits and sandwiches to feed a small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Craughwell 10 in march , dont think they have set a date yet , fantastic race , flat course , brilliant organisation , and everyones a winner with the spread of cakes and sandwiches after . Go if only for the cake !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

The one drawback is that it tends to clash with the Raheeny 5 mile which is a pity.

Dungarvan 10 Is a great race as are all the races organised by West Waterford A/C as part of the West Waterford race series, well worth participating if you can

Ran Dungarvan this year, it really is a gem of a race, relatively flat, little hill at the start, same again about 6 miles and a challenging one up the main road just after 8 - but the reward is a downhill last mile.
    Organisation is top notch, people calling out splits at every mile, great stewarding, great value about €20, tech top and enough brack, biscuits and sandwiches to feed a small country.

Just checking back where I note races, I've a note of the Kinvara Half Marathon that was on March 5th last year - did anyone do this? Also Larne was on the 19th of March - has anyone done this (it would ideal from a timing perspective)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That Kinvara race is on 03/03/2012 according to the under-construction website. Would be nice timing and location for me ahead of London.

Still though, there seems to be a gap in the market for a half marathon in the mid-west/south-west between January and April

Just checking back where I note races, I've a note of the Kinvara Half Marathon that was on March 5th last year - did anyone do this? Also Larne was on the 19th of March - has anyone done this (it would ideal from a timing perspective)?

I gave the Kinvara Half a go last year. It was my first half and I found it tough going. Rookie mistake of going out too fast which I am only learning to correct now.

Here is last years thread

General consesus was that it was a good challenge. Nice rolling hills to keep you challenged. There is a complete flat section through the second quarter of the race where you can definitely pick up time. Some great scenery through the Burren ( I had enough time during my walking breaks to admire the landscape!!!). Registration was bit manic but I'm sure they will have looked into that.

I will definitely be going back next year to address the run-walk strategy I was forced to implement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ral3 did Kinvara last year. That's great timing for Rotterdam actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Another vote for the Dungarvan 10 miler. Well organised, and a nice rural route for the most part.

Ral3 did Kinvara last year. That's great timing for Rotterdam actually.

That was the idea for me this year. Unfortunately I brought my run-walk strategy with me to Rotterdam. Lessons learned from both experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nikki2510

Anyone know the cut of time for dungavan?? Sound like great race but I'm a very slow runner and everyone keeps saying how fast race is!!!

You may be able to find last years results on their website. That would give you an idea of what people ran.

Also Larne was on the 19th of March - has anyone done this (it would ideal from a timing perspective)?

Did TheRoadRunner do this as prep for a 2010 marathon? Fairly sure I remember him telling me about it. Hilly, windy, but very friendly and welcoming is what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bundoran 10 mile on 10th of March 2012, done it last year and it was a well run & organised race and all for €20. Some lovely scenery 2 take in aswell.

Advertisement