Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona

• 11-10-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

wondering about availability for match tickets to the nou camp and how to go about getting them?

any good hints on stuff to do in Barcelona??

and I have read that their is a extremely high rate of muggings, can anyone shed any light on this from previous experiences?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi

Barcelona is good plenty to do

anything to do with Gaudi is well worth a visit Sagrada Família etc.
    there is a great irish pub across the square from it.

i received the same warning about the muggings(more so pickpockets)it seems to be confined to Las Ramblas,for guys-keep your wallet in your front pocket,for girls-make sure the top of your bag is closed and over your shoulder.
    Hard Rock cafe is well worth a visit,ther is a large waterpark about 30 mins from Barcelona.
    Foodwise-have a look out for where the locals eat-tends to be cheaper.
    done a tour of the stadium aswell,the store inside is huge,however look at what the street sellers are selling outside before you go in and keep it in mind when inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For tickets try to get them online. Otherwise there's some ticket shops just off Las Ramblas. Stadium tour is a pricey €22 and not available on match days.

Didn't come across any hassle with pickpockets though except when had the backpack on, I didn't look much like a tourist at all - no maps, except a small one metro on one side, central streets on the other, no big camera etc. Plenty of tourists flashing it, so if you're half smart you'll drop well down the target list.

If you like the Gaudi stuff the Sagrada Família is an already mentioned must (the biblical story detail is amazing and inside everybody's eyes get drawn upwards). There's Parc Guell, Passeig de Gràcia and a few more. If you really like your architecture, take a trip to Colònia Güell which is about 20 kms out of town by train (S3?, S4?, S8 from Playa Espana - little trick is to get off at the station before as it is still in zone 1, saving €4.30 for an extra 50/100 yard walk). It's a lovely little model village built for Senor Guell's factory workers with some lovely buildings including an unfinished church by Gaudi where the crypt has only been built.

Also take the funicluar from Paral-lel and walk up to the castle on Mont Juic. Cable car back down towards the marina and Barceloneta which is also worth a stroll.

If you want the Irish Bars, there's 3 in close proximity on Carrer de Ferran off Las Ramblas about 500 metres from the sea end or about 150 metres down from Liceu metro.

The Gothic quarter is east and a bit south of Carrer de Farren and is a warren of little lanes.

There's also Dali and Picasso stuff to see, which might be a bit out of town. Didn't get to see them myself as there's only so much you can do after all the late night partying. Next time, real soon.

Think about getting metro Day passes, they're good value and Barca has a lot of walking in it.

Enjoy!

More info in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056344159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 addisonclark

I think its a amazing post about what to do in Barcelona. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

There's a tourist bus that goes to all the major sites and give discounts on entry to the sites it stops at. You can get it in Placa Catalunya (The big square at the top of Las Ramblas) or anywhere it stops. I've been to Barcelona a few times and have found this the best way to see the sites. It's very reasonable and gives a great tour of the city.
    http://www.bcn.travel/en/barcelona-tours/barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-bus-turistic?gclid=COqnmcas4qsCFQULfAodfx8FSA

Barcelona is infamous for pickpockets, and they are the most creative I have ever come across anywhere. I've never been done, but have come extremely close on a at least one occasion. Be particularly wary in and around Las Ramblas, and steer clear of large groups of youngsters hanging around especially if one of them approaches you, the next thing you know you'll be approached from all sides, like Jurassic Park. As long as you read up before hand and take precautions you should be fine.

I have stayed in Barrio Gothica (Gothic Area) which is just off Las Ramblas. I think a lot of tourists miss this area, but the narrow medieval streets are well worth a look. There's loads of interested bars and restaurants tucked away too.

Nightclub wise I went to a place called Razzamatazz, it's a bit away from the centre but it's one of the most famous venues in Barcelona. Lot's of international artists have played there. It takes up a block and they play different music on all 3 floors (rock, electronic and something else which I can't remember).

About an hour from Barcelona is Port Aventura, it's comparible to Euro-Disney, but has better rides in my opinion. There's also Montserrat which is about an hour away too. It's a monastery built on the side of a mountain, it's very impressive and is kinda like Mecca for the Catalonian people.

Finally check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibidabo if offers the best views in all of barcelona.

Anyway sorry for the rant, but if I could offer you one tip it would be to go for the tourist bus, it'll show you all the major sites so you can't go too wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moltisanti

thanks guys, i would thank your post's but i don't know how

some great tips, i was planning on going sooner than expected but got match tickets for the barca v Espanyol game and taught the city derby woul be great to get too.

I will check out most things that have been mentioned here

has anybody checked out Barcelona zoo??

• Advertisement
Advertisement