Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural horror

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hay folks.

Im laid up after surgery and need some light(ish) reading, some supernatural horror for example. Im not a fan of Stephan King (well not since i was 12 or 13).

Has anyone any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Lovecraft is supposed to be good for this type of thing (although he influenced Stephen King).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I wouldn't know much about contemporary horror literature, but if you don't mind reading older fiction then how about Sheridan La Fanu's In a Glass Darkly? He gets bonus points for being from Dublin.

M.R. James has his moments.
    Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, wrote a book called 'Heart Shaped Box' which I thought was decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, wrote a book called 'Heart Shaped Box' which I thought was decent.

I thought it was like reading King Snr, the style was so similar. Probably not what the OP is after since he's not a fan of King.

Giselle wrote: »
    I thought it was like reading King Snr, the style was so similar. Probably not what the OP is after since he's not a fan of King.

Ah I didn't know he was his son when I was reading it and didn't think to put the two together at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Clive Barker might be worth trying. I read "The Damnation Game" recently enough and thought it was pretty good. Some of James Herbert's stuff is OK too.

I like "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, though it's not really a horror (supernatural though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Thanks folks,

I had a bit of a Google for "all time best horror book lists" and came up with a few;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dies_at_the_End

And/or;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relentless_(Koontz_novel)

Anyone read these?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Douglas Clegg, Dean Koontz and Clive Barker and all worth checking out. I like Goat Dance by Clegg and The Taking by Koontz in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I have only read a couple of his books,but James Herbert is pretty good at supernatural Horror.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have only read a couple of his books,but James Herbert is pretty good at supernatural Horror.

I have liked the books of his I've read, especially The Fog. It's fairly old now, circa 35 years, but I think that as one of the things that appealed to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement