Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tescos, Navan Rd. behind Cabra Library - is it open yet?

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is this Tescos open yet? I saw two ladies carrying Tescos bags vey near there this morning, but wasn't sure if they were coming from Tescos in Prussia St. or the new Tescos.

Though i'm not crazy about Tescos, this new one has to be an improvement on the one in Prussia St. which we've had to suffer with for years. I hope the new one has a broad range, particularly with electrical/computer accessories. What I would really like more than anything is decent trollies that are easy to return. Have you ever tried using & returning a trolley in Prussia St.? Nightmare! It's often easier to drive up to Superquinn at Rathborne. At least you'll stay in out of the rain and the trollies there are easier to manage.

OK, rant over for today. I'll stay hopeful that the new Tescos will be an improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Christmas apparently.

You know there is a Superquinn in Blanchardstown and one in Heuston, Rathborne is WAY far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

November AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Sorry, I meant the Superquinn at Ashtown, that's handy enough. I like the one at Heuston too.

Anyway, so we have to wait til Christmas for the new Tescos. Thanks for that info.

November AFAIK
    Yeah, actually I think you're right late November early December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Christmas apparently.

You know there is a Superquinn in Blanchardstown and one in Heuston, Rathborne is WAY far away!

Rathborne (Ashtown) is closer than the one in Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Rathborne (Ashtown) is closer than the one in Blanchardstown.
    I've actually never been to that one, might go there this week. Is it the same size as Blanch? Heuston is a bit small for me even though I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

I've actually never been to that one, might go there this week. Is it the same size as Blanch? Heuston is a bit small for me even though I like it.

A bit smaller than Blanch but nice and new, bigger than Heuston and has an underground car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

My mate works in Prussia Street and told me that the new store on the Navan Road is replacing the branch in Phibsboro? Don't know if this is true or just a rumour?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    My mate works in Prussia Street and told me that the new store on the Navan Road is replacing the branch in Phibsboro? Don't know if this is true or just a rumour?
    I heard that it may be replacing both and that one may be turned into a Tesco Express.
    I don't see the need for 3 Tesco shops within 5 mins of each other tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lost Arrow

Guys do you know where I could find some more info on this? Both Tescos on Prussia St. and in Phibsboro seem to do really well.I know a lot of people will really be affected if the stores close down.There's a lot of elderly in Stoneybatter and it might be difficult for them to make it up to the Navan road.I also heard a rumour that the Park Centre area will be closed off and it will become part of the DIT campus...is there any truth to this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Lost Arrow wrote: »
    Guys do you know where I could find some more info on this? Both Tescos on Prussia St. and in Phibsboro seem to do really well.I know a lot of people will really be affected if the stores close down.There's a lot of elderly in Stoneybatter and it might be difficult for them to make it up to the Navan road.I also heard a rumour that the Park Centre area will be closed off and it will become part of the DIT campus...is there any truth to this? :confused:

The plot thickens:cool:

Prussia Street would be the one I could see staying open if one were to close (despite the health issues a few years ago) because Phibsboro is a disaster.
    But to be quite honest, I see them both remaining open - if only as Tesco Express locations (would be very good for Phibsboro; see Temple Bar).

As for the DIT campus, are you talking about the whole area that Tesco et al are in? I couldn't see that being blocked off from the Prussia Street side; in any event, I'm pretty sure that it is just outside the development (looking on their website for the plans would be a good start).

I think we'll know a lot more about the future of the 2 other locations by this time next year; Tesco will clearly take into consideration the decrease in traffic in both of those locations as a result of the new Navan Road shop opening.
    But I doubt there is any impending danger of either shop closing in the near future.

If you are really concerned, you should contact Tesco and just ask them. I'm sure if they know they'll tell you!

Telephone 1850 744 844 or email customer.services@tesco.ie

Do it and report back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Lost Arrow wrote: »
    There's a lot of elderly in Stoneybatter and it might be difficult for them to make it up to the Navan road.:confused:

in Tesco's defence, there's loads of buses that run from Stoney Batter and will literally stop right outside the new tesco. And all the elderly get free bus travel so it's unlikely that they'll be too affected. They should shut one though, cos it makes no sense to have the new one, Phibsboro, Finglas and prussia street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Both stores are staying open. I have not heard anything about them closing down.

The new Cabra branch will be open I think on the 21st. Word has it, that inside the shop is in the baby stages. IE just shelving no product plans etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Any update it seems from the outside driving past it could be ready anytime soon, but is there a date set?

21st I heared

It looks pretty cool from the outside now that they have the blue boarding taken down.

was at the bottle bank yesterday and there was a lot of staff out having a smoke. Car park looked busy too. Was it open or just staff induction?

The car park is under the store

yeah, thats the one i'm talking about. Looked fairly busy although I could only see a section of it, so maybe it wasn't that busy and they all just parked close to the ramp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 rd11

tesco on the navan road opens on the 21 November at 8am. As i am aware there are no plans to close either prussia or phibsborogh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rd11

also there are two levels in the car park. An underground car park it not just the one you can see from the bottle banks. was talking to security manager up there the other day as he parked as i was leaving the maple centre

Northside people paper in today, full page "Abraca Cabra":rolleyes: Opens on the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yes, I was driving by and there is a road sign saying it is open on the 21st. I'm glad to hear there is a covered in car park. Now if the trolleys work, then I will be happy.

The traffic getting out from Tesco onto the navan road between the hours of 5-8 is going to be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Slattsy wrote: »
    The traffic getting out from Tesco onto the navan road between the hours of 5-8 is going to be a nightmare.

Now I understand why the crossing was completely redone with the two lanes (which of course later merge into one in the matter of centimeters).

bigar wrote: »
    Slattsy wrote: »

Now I understand why the crossing was completely redone with the two lanes (which of course later merge into one in the matter of centimeters).

Absolutely ridiculous isn't it. It's going to be crazy to get out as the cars are bumper to number now. Add to that whatever traffic is trying to get out from Tesco.....it'll be gridlock.

I think its the death knell for the maple leaf centre

Just received a letter from Tesco about the new store and 3 x €10 off coupons for purchases over €40, I for each of the first 3 weeks and a double points offer on the 4th week.:)
    The Spar in the MC won't last too long.

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    I think its the death knell for the maple leaf centre
    I don't think so... O'Briens will still get custom as their selection and price is better than Tesco 99% of the time; McDonalds... well, there's no accounting for taste; Millennium is a solid and old Chinese; the chemist is not threatened (unless this Tesco is one of the new ones with a pharmacy - but I don't think it is); Iceland has its unique customer.

Am I forgetting something?

Clearly Spar may be in trouble, but I think they may get enough of a drop in custom to survive (for now).

Advertisement