Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Touch

Options
  • 11-10-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Two things;

1) The last few days, clicking posts in the 'latest posts' tabs brings you to the wrong post. At one point, clicking on a soccer forum post repeatedly brought me to adverts.ie.

2) Touch.boards badly needs category tabs.

Cheers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There's too many categories for a tabbed scenario IMO, some other form of grouping would be helpful though :)

Any examples of the latest posts that direct you to the wrong post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

There's too many categories for a tabbed scenario IMO, some other form of grouping would be helpful though :)

Any examples of the latest posts that direct you to the wrong post?

What I mean is when you click on 'forums' up the top, it should bring you to a categories page first. Then clicking, say, 'soc' brings you to a page with all the soc forums. It should be easy enough to do.

If I come across an example of that error, I will bring it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think the first issue has been mentioned before but it still happens to me a lot. Mainly in AH but occasionally in other forums too, if I click a thread title, it's actually the thread 2 spaces above that opens which sounds similar to the issue with the wrong posts.

Is it an intermittent issue, or does it happen with the same threads/at the same time constantly?

'Should the FAI offer Armenia a replay?'

I don't know, because I get redirected to a thread about Samsung phones.

• Advertisement

Funny, because touch links me to : http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/74890959

Which is the correct thread.

Ireland move up the FIFA rankings!

Or is it the MTV rankings? Because I was brought to a thread about MTV.

Can you provide links, not thread titles? A link to the post will suffice :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can you provide links, not thread titles? A link to the post will suffice :)

this is going to be a bit odd to describe, but it has happened to me on several occasions and a rough guess...

say you've got 10 threads listed in your window while browsing boards touch. Someone posts in the third thread, this would bump it to the top of the list of threads. Boards touch doesn't seem to recognise this exactly... if you were to click on what's listed as the third thread, it'll take you to what is now listed as the third thread, not the 1 with the title you clicked on.

eh... a more visible way of showing this.

list of threads when you open your window:

Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 3
    Thread 4
    Thread 5
    Thread 6
    Thread 7
    Thread 8
    Thread 9
    Thread 10

some one posts in thread 3..

Thread 3
    Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 4
    Thread 5
    Thread 6
    Thread 7
    Thread 8
    Thread 9
    Thread 10

When you click on the link for thread 3 without refreshing your window, it takes you into thread 2.

...well that's what i've noticed anyhow.

I'm not convinced that's what's happening because the links are of the form http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/<postid>. The reference point is the postID, which should always result in the same thread unless the post is moved by a moderator.

I just opened touch and left it for a few minutes, a quick refresh in another tab of the boards.ie homepage verifies there are new "latest" posts than my now-outdated touch screen shows, clicking on any link brings me to the correct thread.

• Advertisement

I know what is happening (yep, doing your job for you).

Say you look at latest posts and see:

1. Soccer Scandal
    2. DIY Question
    3. Need Advice

And you click on 1 and read the first page you see and get bored. You click back and see:

1. Soccer Scandal
    2. DIY Question
    3. Need Advice

However, since you clicked back (not refreshing) the 'true' order of affairs is:

Hence, if you click on what you think is 'DIY Question' you will actually be brought to Soccer again, because your browser haas not updated you think you are selecting DIY, but boards thinks you are selecting the second item on the true list, which is now soccer.

You're welcome.

I know what is happening (yep, doing your job for you).

Say you look at latest posts and see:

1. Soccer Scandal
    2. DIY Question
    3. Need Advice

And you click on 1 and read the first page you see and get bored. You click back and see:

1. Soccer Scandal
    2. DIY Question
    3. Need Advice

However, since you clicked back (not refreshing) the 'true' order of affairs is:

Hence, if you click on what you think is 'DIY Question' you will actually be brought to Soccer again, because your browser haas not updated you think you are selecting DIY, but boards thinks you are selecting the second item on the true list, which is now soccer.

You're welcome.

No, that isn't what is happening.

The links on the Latest Posts page all reference their actual thread, not the list order. So it doesn't matter if you click back, a link to http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/<post_id> will always bring you to the thread that contains the given post ID unless there is a bug (and from my own use of touch, there doesn't appear to be).

You can leave the Latest Posts page to go as stale as you like by using the back button, what you're saying happens will never happen.

You're welcome :)

Yes, TV, I know, nothing is wrong.

All in my head.

Yes, TV, I know, nothing is wrong.

All in my head.

No, your description of why the problem occurs is wrong. The latest posts on touch operates exactly like the latest posts on the full boards.ie homepage - links link directly to posts on threads, not to some "Most Recent Post" marker, or "2nd most recent post" which as you state is liable to go out of order fairly quickly.

I also state that in my experience of using touch I've never had the issue you're describing, not that such an issue doesn't exist.

Advertisement