Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should medical records be kept fro?

Options
  • 11-10-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anyone have any idea how long medical records should be stored? Are there even any rules about this or is it completely up to the doctor?

I've been trying to helping my sister to get copies of her old records form a few different places and it's been really frustrating. We've had zero luck.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Forever. Like a criminal record. Trying to fish them out is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jakey4000

Forever. Like a criminal record. Trying to fish them out is another story.

Thanks. Is there any legislation behind how long they should be stored? One place say they only keep them for 5 years, another for 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Forever.

I was able to retrieve mine from 2 different hospitals for procedures that occured over 20 years ago a while back.

In both cases I phoned the hospitals, got the relevant person to address a written request to, wrote requesting the info (I had to get my hospital number looked up for one of them - but name and dob should suffice), and was contacted back with the info - and a small admin fee in one case (think it was a fiver). I think one place posted them to me, the other place I went up myself to collect them.

If its a GP or consultants practice then just write to them directly requesting the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

This might be a useful link for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jakey4000

Is there any action you can take if your records have been thrown out after 5 (or 7) years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement