Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS down again?!

Options
  • 11-10-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Anyone else BIS service gone down in the last 30 mins or so?

Looking around seems to be others saying they have gone down in UK & Germany. Mines gone in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

Crocked wrote: »
    Anyone else BIS service gone down in the last 30 mins or so?

Looking around seems to be others saying they have gone down in UK & Germany. Mines gone in Dublin.

its down for me since yesterday, at about 2pm.....

still down now, on meteor. zero communication from meteor, it would be nice if they sent out a notification text, to inform customers of the situation, blackberry just works for calls and texts nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes it's down again alright. Sigh :( Switch to wifi if you can to continue receiving email and use data

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Hey all, yeah mine was down yesterday and then all emails came through together last night. But now today, it's as if it's completely frozen because of it - my middle button won't scroll at all and it keeps trying to download stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Mine is down too on Meteor since yesterday morning. Came back for an hour or two this morning but gone again. Can't use BBM, Facebook etc, received the odd email but thats about it. Very annoying now:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Peter2323

Same here, pain in the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I look after our work account with O2, I just rang them and they confirmed they got an email from RIM saying its the same issue as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mine is still gone, 2 full days now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

we're still experiencing it on O2 today. Prerecorded message says users are still experiencing problems and i just called data support and they have said its still ongoing. @blackberryhelp on tweeter can be used for updates on the situation apparantly

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eoin4789

im in dublin with no blackberry services on meteor for two days now and nobody in meteor can help, how do they plan to charge us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

eoin4789 wrote: »
    im in dublin with no blackberry services on meteor for two days now and nobody in meteor can help, how do they plan to charge us?

In the same way eircom would charge you if your landline went down. Unfortunately these things will happen from time to time. I've been using bb for about 4 years and nothing this serious has happened in that time. BIS was working over wifi yesterday but was completely down for me this morning.

But literally in the last 5 mins I've got a couple of emails in over the phone network so hopefully things will get back to normal soon once they've cleared the back log.

Some updates finally some senior management here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/12/blackberry-outage-executive-apologies

Engineers are working "day and night" to try to fix the problem with BlackBerry services which are entering their third day of outages, the UK and Ireland managing director has said.

Stephen Bates told the BlackBerry Innovation Forum in London on Wednesday morning that staff at Research In Motion (RIM) in Slough "thought we had found the problem [BB outage] but had not. We are working around the clock to get to the bottom of the problem."

He added that "We are working night and day to solve the outage. Our apologies to all our customers."

It was the first public statement by a senior executive at the company, which has 70m users around the world. Problems at its Slough offices, where servers relay messages and web pages for millions of users in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and India, have meant that users have been unable to communicate except by phone. Services in some South American countries have also been disrupted.

The problems began at about 11am on Monday. The Guardian understands that RIM was attempting a software upgrade on its database but suffered corruption problems, and that attempts to switch back to an older version led to a collapse.

Bates said that the problem was "not acceptable", that the "server issues are regarded with high focus" and that RIM "is not going to stop until they get to the end of the problem".

The timing of the problems is made more embarrassing for RIM because it happens on the same day that Apple is scheduled to release a major update to its mobile phone software, iOS 5, which will bring a capability called "iMessage" that competes directly with RIM's BlackBerry Messenger. On Friday, carriers and Apple will start sales of its new iPhone 4S.

RIM is presently running an expensive TV campaign for its new generation of smartphones in the UK aimed at consumers, but Twitter has seen an outpouring of angry messages from disaffected users who are threatening to defect.

RIM has given no timing for a resolution of the problem. In a statement issued at 2200 BST on Tuesday, it said: "The messaging and browsing delays being experienced by BlackBerry users in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Brazil, Chile and Argentina were caused by a core switch failure within RIM's infrastructure. Although the system is designed to failover to a back-up switch, the failover did not function as previously tested. As a result, a large backlog of data was generated and we are now working to clear that backlog and restore normal service as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience and we will continue to keep you informed."

I've been using them for 7 years and this is the first time this has happened. It's bad but it's not that bad. It'll be sorted soon.

http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/blackberry-problems-now-worldwide/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

eoin4789 wrote: »

It's not a Meteor issue so they can't be expected to help. It's been quite public that it's an issue with Blackberry. As for charging, that would be down to RIM who charge the operators, who charge the consumers. If RIM give money back, I would assume it would be passed back down (no cynics need reply!!)

RIM held a press conference call a little earlier to explain what happened:
    http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/rim-currently-hosting-press-conference-on-system-failure/
    We didn't learn too much nor did we learn when it'll be sorted other then it's their top priorty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My BBM's working slowly, but still can't use the browser or facebook app... anyone else? (UK)

Looks like it's back up and running now. All fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Mail, BBM, Facebook / Twitter and IM all appear to be back up on o2 Ireland, but still no browser and no indication from o2 tech support when they expect it to be back up.

Hard to say if RIM are wrong about the issue being fully resolved globally or if o2 have missed taking some action at their end. One thing is for sure, I'm almost equally disatisfied with both companies and how they've handled this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

What did one blackberry user say to the other? "Nothing"

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Did what happen with Blackberry last week put anyone off owning a Blackberry? Am thinking of getting one this week.......

That's the only time I've seen such a downtime in 7 yrs of owning blackberry's. I think they're very reliable normally. Not that it wasn't terrible, it was, but I doubt we'll see one again of cuh magnitude in a long time if ever.

• Advertisement

My BB browser still does not work, 7 days later

Are you with O2?

No, foreign network, they say it is RIMs problem

I think by now most if not all bis problems are carrier related. Hassle them for a fix but in the mean time have you tried a battery pull for 30 secs?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

How the new Blackberry Bold 9900 going for you now Cookie1977? My poor auld Nokia N8 just died on me and am due an upgrade with Meteor thinking of getting the blackberry

It's going great. Best blackberry I've ever owned. Well worth it.

Make sure you get your free apps from rim over the next few weeks (starting today) to make up for the BIS/BES issues last week.
    http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/blackberry-were-sorry-free-apps-offer-launches/

Advertisement