Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Floods 2009 - Maps

Options
  • 11-10-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭

This is a long shot!

Does anybody know where I could find a map of the flooded roads in South Galway from November 2009? They were available on the CoCo Website at the time and updated frequently.

Anyone save a copy by any chance?

CP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Friend looking at buying a house (between Ardrahan & Clarinbridge) and wants to see if there were floods on the bi-roads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why won't the auctioneer tell him straight out....or did the auctioneer simply lie. ??? :)

Have a map! It is zoomable.

Thanks! appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

The OPW have just published Flood Risk Assessment maps for the whole country, available on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Don't know about maps but there was a thread with pics of flooded areas: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055745044

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

Ring a few insurance companies and see if they will insure the house. They have all the risk areas on their maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why??
    Because quite frankly he will be flooded this year too, at least when the ice melts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why won't the auctioneer tell him straight out....or did the auctioneer simply lie. ??? :)

Have a map! It is zoomable.

That map is extremely inaccurate in many areas.

I live in south Galway, and there are areas marked down as flooded/ liable to flooding that are located at the top of hills. Completely elevated ground, that will never flood.

I have taken topographical levels in one particular area, which is surrounded by a region marked in blue. If that area flooded, as this map suggests, it would result the adjcent N18 being cover in approximately 30+ metres of water.

The mods should remove such an spurious article.

In fact on just taking a second look, there are areas that I have personally seen under 3-4 metres of water that are not marked down as liable to flooding.

That map is extremely inaccurate in many areas.

I live in south Galway, and there are areas marked down as flooded/ liable to flooding that are located at the top of hills. Completely elevated ground, that will never flood.

I have taken topographical levels in one particular area, which is surrounded by a region marked in blue. If that area flooded, as this map suggests, it would result the adjcent N18 being cover in approximately 30+ metres of water.

The mods should remove such an spurious article.

In fact on just taking a second look, there are areas that I have personally seen under 3-4 metres of water that are not marked down as liable to flooding.

To be fair - this map was from the CoCo website at the time at just one particular point in time -- it was updated frequently---which is exactly what I asked for -- If the Mods want to remove it now -- no problem -- Out of interest - which particular area is inaccurate?

Were there any other other roads off the N18 between Ardrahan and Clarinbridge badly flooded which are not marked?

• Advertisement

To be fair - this map was from the CoCo website at the time at just one particular point in time -- it was updated frequently---which is exactly what I asked for -- If the Mods want to remove it now -- no problem -- Out of interest - which particular area is inaccurate?

Didn't mean to come across as giving out.

And the map is actually stamped as roads being impassable/severely flooded, and not areas liable to flooding.
    Never the less, the areas and roads I was referring to are erroneously marked.

Some roads unmarked were flooded. Some roads unmarked were not flooded in 2009 however they were severely flooded in previous years. And other roads marked as impassable were passable.

Also whereas some roads are marked as impassable, and were impassable, no house was(or could possibly be) affected by flooding.

Areas in my own locality are inaccurate, therefore I would not be surprised if the map has inaccuracy's throughout.

How about asking locals about recent flooding?.
    Ask people who have moved to the area, reducing the risk of the vendors brother in law/cousin telling you "this place never saw flooding"!.

Many areas and roads were affected by the 2009 flooding, however few houses were directly affected.
    Also some of the more severe rainfall events that occurred throughout November 2009 were once in 200 year events, statistically speaking!.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Friend looking at buying a house (between Ardrahan & Clarinbridge) and wants to see if there were floods on the bi-roads

Can you narrow this down a little maybe? Clarinbridge to Ardrahan is about 6 miles in total. Or is your friend looking at a number of locations?

Yeah --- just wants to know where to avoid really ---

The Dark Road seems to be ruled out anyway :)

The Dark Road is very long, and of the top of my head I cant think of any house down there being flooded.

Where on the dark road is the house
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Yeah --- just wants to know where to avoid really ---

The Dark Road seems to be ruled out anyway :)

Ok, yes that narrows it down quite a bit! This is the road in question:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=R347&hl=en&ll=53.186596,-8.823223&spn=0.069329,0.151234&sll=53.198835,-8.836184&sspn=0.017327,0.037808&geocode=FdS2KwMdvi15_w%3BFbpnKwMdVup5_w&vpsrc=6&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=15&t=m&z=13

Yes, that road was pretty much blocked at both ends due to flooding in 2009. To go, well anywhere really, you would have had to go into Kilcolgan village via Ballinabucky/Dunkellin on the map.

Hope that helps..

On google maps the a 100 metre section of the road from point A to Kilcolgan floods ~5/6 years, you can take a left before this point to reach the N18 the bottom of this road marked Caherpeak West was flooded in 2009 but only floods ~12 years. Otherwise as mentioned above, the Kilcolgan via Ballynabucky route, never seen this route to flood.

No property in this area was flooded out in 2009, although people were affect due to the road closures above.

It does indeed

Really; he just wanted to get an idea of where was inconvenienced most in that general area before looking at any places.

Thanks again for all the useful comments

CP

Advertisement