Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed thread

Options
  • 11-10-2011 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hussey locked the following thread because they did not like where it was going. Why not leave the thread open and moderate it instead of taking the easy way out? Husseys personal views may have clouded their thinking so I would like the thread re opened-if at all possible.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056415787
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

In fairness you painted alot of people with a pretty dirty brush.

What was to be gained from debating why you didnt like "STs"?

Im with the mod on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

I just talked about some of the people we met. Wasn't my intention to offend hussey but I think with proper moderation then there could be a discussion of the different types of people you meet travelling. Locking a thread is just taking the easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

With the general conclusion being the groundbreaking "I met some people I liked, and some people I didn't?"? All the while the threads gone bitchy because you said you hated solo travelers and others saying they're the salt of the earth ad-nauseum.

Did you talk to hussey about it? Or any other mod of the same forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

In all honesty, you started a thread to criticise solo travellers, in general. Given the fact that several posters here would be solo travellers I dont think you could have expected anything other than a reaction to a not-very-flattering picture you painted of not only solo travellers you met but also solo travellers who you havent met (solo travellers in general).

The moderators job is to keep discussion on topic and fair to as many users as possible. that means not allowing generalised abuse. imho, the mod made a good call possibly based on past experience on the forum or on other travel forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If you have a complaint about the thread being closed, pm the mod and ask for the reasoning behind its closure. if you are still not happy, contact a co-mod or the category mod and they can review the decision for you.

• Advertisement

The reason hussay gave for closing the thread was that they 'thought' it would get out of control. For the record I didn't criticise all solo travellers just SOME of the ones we've met.

I PM'd hussey who said they weren't buying me reasoning and if I didn't like it then to start a thread in feedback so here I am.

LoLth wrote: »
    If you have a complaint about the thread being closed, pm the mod and ask for the reasoning behind its closure. if you are still not happy, contact a co-mod or the category mod and they can review the decision for you.

If someone could inform hussey of the proper procedures to follow that LoLth mentioned so that in future he doesn't waste your time and posters time by sending them here that be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Melb opened a thread in a travel forum with the title 'The Solo traveller' - 'The' in this case means collective i.e. them all.

It was a clear attack on solo travellers in a thread full of solo travellers, it was going to provoke a reaction - which it did.
    The OP saying 'I was talking about the ones I met' is not really valid, as how could we possible talk about the people they have met? It was clearly going to be a generalisation about solo travellers.

I mean if someone opens a thread in the Dublin Forum called 'The Dubs' and outlines how all the people from elsewhere are great but generally the dubs I met are boring, and attention seeking, how long do you think that would last.

I PM'd the OP directly explained why I closed in, cc'd the other Mod.
    I did indeed say if you don't agree open a feedback thread, if he is not happy. I should have said a higher mod.

But to be honest this is a mountain out of a molehill, and a clear case of dummy spitting.
    9 replies to the OP were against him, I know what was going to happen, so I closed it.

hussey wrote: »
    Melb opened a thread in a travel forum with the title 'The Solo traveller' - 'The' in this case means collective i.e. them all.

It was a clear attack on solo travellers in a thread full of solo travellers, it was going to provoke a reaction - which it did.
    The OP saying 'I was talking about the ones I met' is not really valid, as how could we possible talk about the people they have met? It was clearly going to be a generalisation about solo travellers.

I mean if someone opens a thread in the Dublin Forum called 'The Dubs' and outlines how all the people from elsewhere are great but generally the dubs I met are boring, and attention seeking, how long do you think that would last.

I PM'd the OP directly explained why I closed in, cc'd the other Mod.
    I did indeed say if you don't agree open a feedback thread, if he is not happy. I should have said a higher mod.

But to be honest this is a mountain out of a molehill, and a clear case of dummy spitting.
    9 replies to the OP were against him, I know what was going to happen, so I closed it.

A clear attack? I think not. What one person finds offensive another does not. It was merely a reference point for a discussion on the people we all meet travelling. It started off on STs but got shut down before it evolved to include all travelling people.

As for dummy spitting... I merely asked that hussey moderate a thread instead of closing it as it offends you. You don't want to do that which is your choice. You obviously spat the dummy the minute you read the thread as you made two comments then closed it down. Quite odd that you commented on a thread you objected to before you closed it-why not just close it and let it be?

At least hussey now knows the correct procedures to follow when someone has a query about them closing a thread. And thats a good thing. I think this thread can be marked as resolved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be honest, I think that you are wrong when you say that the thread offended hussey. I am open to correction, but I feel that it was rather because the thread was pretty much a dead-cert to turn into a car-crash given its initial content & tone.

As mods we get to know the fora that we take care of quite well. Certain threads get your Spidey-senses tingling & you know that they will cause issues. This may be for any number of reasons: eg, participation of known trolls, contributions from posters that are known to bait each other, generally contentions topics & also the aforementioned tone/content - to mention but a few.

In these circumstances we generally close the threads for the good of the forum, but also for the posters' sake. By & large this saves some posters from receiving warnings/infractions/bans as they would have if the thread were left open.

There are no hard & fast rules for such thread closures - it is a gut feel. Good call in this instance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement