Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sponsored visa restrictions

Options
  • 11-10-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

iam currently in the process of applying for a subclass 176 visa, iam being sponsored by my brother who is an australian citizen and living in sydney.
    i was just on the phone to him and he was asking me about moving out there. and i told him i would most likely go to perth. he seems to be under the impression that i would have to stay in NSW close to him for the first couple of years, i was under the impression that i would be free to move around.
    does anyone know if iam restricted under this visa requirements to stay close to my brother during the sponsorship period of the visa?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

sponge_bob wrote: »
    iam currently in the process of applying for a subclass 176 visa, iam being sponsored by my brother who is an australian citizen and living in sydney.
    i was just on the phone to him and he was asking me about moving out there. and i told him i would most likely go to perth. he seems to be under the impression that i would have to stay in NSW close to him for the first couple of years, i was under the impression that i would be free to move around.
    does anyone know if iam restricted under this visa requirements to stay close to my brother during the sponsorship period of the visa?:confused:

Your brother is correct

If you are nominated by a State or Territory government, you need to agree to:
    • Remain in the State or Territory for a period of at least two years
    • keep the State or Territory government informed of changes in address details before and after arrival
    • be prepared to complete surveys and provide information as required.

Link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/obligations-applicant.htm

Ths NSW goverment is sponsoring you not Western Australia.

I am thinking you are letting your brother do the Lions share of the work on this application.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Zambia wrote: »
    Your brother is correct

If you are nominated by a State or Territory government, you need to agree to:
    • Remain in the State or Territory for a period of at least two years
    • keep the State or Territory government informed of changes in address details before and after arrival
    • be prepared to complete surveys and provide information as required.

Link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/obligations-applicant.htm

Ths NSW goverment is sponsoring you not Western Australia.

I am thinking you are letting your brother do the Lions share of the work on this application.

But you wont be sponsored by the state , you will be sponsored by a relative which is different isnt it??

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/eligibility-applicant.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes thats correct I hear 176 and I instantly think of State. I don't see it saying anywhere you have to live near your brother but something is nagging me about it.

Why does your brother think you have to stay in NSW?

Ignore my last post OP you could be fine, good pick up bigbad.

EDIT Looking at it now it appears to just be a 175 with a less skills requirement as long as you have either a state or relative to Sponsor you?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Zambia wrote: »
    Yes thats correct I hear 176 and I instantly think of State. I don't see it saying anywhere you have to live near your brother but something is nagging me about it.

Why does your brother think you have to stay in NSW?

Ignore my last post OP you could be fine, good pick up bigbad.

EDIT Looking at it now it appears to just be a 175 with a less skills requirement as long as you have either a state or relative to Sponsor you?

Yeah looks that way and i'm sure its way quicker aswell. In the process of the 175 myself,just about to send it off as soon as I get my new passport and then get it certified.

Not too worried about the longer wait because I've a lot of saving to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I think your ok OP, I know a fella whos sister sponsered him for a 176 and shes in Darwin and he's been between Brisbane and Perth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

just getting back to this now,
    thanks for the replies lads.
    yes its like con said the visa iam applying for is a skills visa but it is my brother is sponsoring me and not the state or territory.
    iam unsure how he thought that i might be restricted to NSW, but the form he had to fill out was form 1277 which is used for skilled-sponsored-visa's and skilled-regional-sponsored-visa's, so maybe some of the info and questions contained in the form might have given him this impression.

i applied for this back in january so it was under the old points system, if i applied for the 175 visa i needed 120 points, but with my brother sponsoring me for the subclass 176 i only needed 100points. as for whether or not it is any quicker:rolleyes: here iam 9 mths later and still havn't been told whether or not i have the visa. hoping i might hear before the end of the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I can remember looking into the skilled visa and getting my wifes uncle to sponsor us and i am 99% sure that if he was to sponsor us we would have to live in the state that he was in for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you brother sponsors you, there are certain requirements for him.

They are;

An eligible relative sponsor is required to sign a sponsorship undertaking.

This is an agreement to provide:

•adequate accommodation and/or financial assistance as required to meet their relative's living needs during their first two years in Australia
    •other support, such as child care, to enable their relatives to attend English language classes
    •information and advice (including information about employment in Australia) to help their relatives settle in Australia.
    The two year period starts from the date the applicant enters Australia as a holder of this visa.

So, he would need to provide for you if you required it, but there is nothing stopping you going it your own if you were able.

Advertisement