Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CoCo Depot in Haydens Lane (was to be Griffeen Valley Park)

Options
  • 11-10-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Rather than resurrect a zombie thread about the proposed SDCC facility that was originally pinpointed for Griffeen Valley Park, I thought I would raise a new topic here.

The GVP proposal was quite rightly shot down by the local community - this statement summarises the result:
    The remaining site south of the Dublin – Cork railway line was accepted by the council management and the councillors as being the only practical proposal that was acceptable to the community, and the council management now intend to build the depot in this location, subject to a part 8 public consultation

Qustion - does anyone have a link to this new location and its proposal ? I can find nothing on the SDCC website (most links on the planning pages generally error out)

Haydens Lane runs from the edge of GVP to the Newcastle Road - however as far as I can see, it's still a mix of residential and parkland, so it'll be interesting to learn what exactly is being proposed.

Thanks
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

<bump> still can't find anything on this.

Anyone know where the 'depot' has been relocated to ? Sounds like it has been moved from one part of the park to another part of the same park. The whole thing reeks of NIMBYism.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

I stumbled across this...

Instead it was agreed by all that a location south of the railway on Hayden’s Lane between the new (unopened) pedestrian/cycle bridge and the Grand Canal would NOW BE SUBJECT OF AN IMMEDIATE NEW PART 8 PROPOSAL for a relocated depot.

From http://www.saveourlucanpark.com/politician-s-corner/william-lavelle

Time to go look up Google Maps???

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

franksm wrote: »
    <bump> still can't find anything on this.

Anyone know where the 'depot' has been relocated to ? Sounds like it has been moved from one part of the park to another part of the same park. The whole thing reeks of NIMBYism.

Griffeen Valley parkland is larger than the currenly developed park area, I believe the new depot will be located next to a place already used by the council/parks dept in an area which is currenly undeveloped - so not in anyones back yard. I can't find the planning information either - perhaps it's not been logged by SDCC yet.

Perhaps the area right of the name haydens lane on this view - though an old view it looks like a wasteland area - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swnww8gfwcw7&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b&where1=lucan%2C%20ireland&nwyw=1&ss=yp.griffeen%20glen%20park&form=LMLTCC

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cfarrell

Hi Frank,

The new location is here

If the link doesn't work, then pm me your email address and I'll send you a google earth pin.

Details of the plan and location can be seen on SDCC website here.

The location is in an undeveloped part of the part, between the new cycle bridge across the railway line, and the canal. (Beside the old farm buildings). It is not near any housing.

The part 8 public consultation was carried out in May/June but SDCC messed up their dates, so they had to carry it out a second time in July/Aug. It was approved at the council meeting in September with I think 8 objections. You can see the managers report and the objections here.

The objections were centred on environmental grounds, and none were on the basis of proximity to houses, noise to neighbours, damage to park etc. I don't think the community have anything to fear from the new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Thanks for that very informative and succinct reply !

The location chosen looks almost perfect for such a depot, it's amazing that they were even contemplating anything different - nevermind beautiful park-land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

franksm wrote: »
    The location chosen looks almost perfect for such a depot, it's amazing that they were even contemplating anything different - nevermind beautiful park-land.

+1

The only worry I have is smell pollution. With the prevailing south-westerly winds, there are thousands of houses directly down wind from the new location

Anyone know if these depots produce smells?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cfarrell

I visited all the other SDCC depots twice between last December and May.

I found a smell from the depot on my second visit to Sean Walsh Park Depot. There were no smells on the first visit to this depot and none from any of the other depots.

The smell on this occasion was quite foul and arose from a mass of mulsh that they had placed outside the depot (a few lorry loads I would estimate).

In relation to the depot currently in Esker Lane, I had heard one report by email of neightbours having to close their windows last summer becuase of the smell, but I was unable to get this confirmed either by the person who reported it to me, or through other means.

However the location now proposed for this depot, is 340meters from the nearest house (according to Google Earth). If any smells were to travel 340 meters from the current Esker Lane depot this would cover a very large number of the homes in Lucan, and I'm sure that we'd have heard lots about such a problem from the existing depot before now. It would be in all the local media.

If there has been a problem with smells from the existing Esker Lane depot, it appears only to have affected those adjacent to it.

It would therefore seem unlikely that anyone, even in the closest of houses to the proposed site, would be to be affected by smells, if indeed it generates any.

Advertisement