Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road beside St Mochtas School in the morning

Options
  • 11-10-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

This Road drives me crazy. traffic is backed up over the traintracks nearly until the new school at the other side of the tracks. Do you think the traffic going towards the clonsilla road pays any attemtion tot he yellow box on the single lane bridge?? not a chance. do the drivers push up to each other as much as possible to lesson the impact not a chance. <SNIP> are they aware that you arent supposed to go into a yellow box??

I rolled down my window and said to one <SNIP> driver who left about twenty feet in front of him chatting on the phone as traffic behind him was forced into the yellow box " would you not move forward ten feet as you are blocking the traffic on this side from moving across the bridge" "I am not blocking anything" "no i mean you need to make use of all the space so the cars coming up from behind can create and through space for the traffic on this side" "what are you talking about i do nothing wrong"

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr can you hear all that beeping???????"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

This Road drives me crazy. traffic is backed up over the traintracks nearly until the new school at the other side of the tracks. Do you think the traffic going towards the clonsilla road pays any attemtion tot he yellow box on the single lane bridge?? not a chance. do the drivers push up to each other as much as possible to lesson the impact not a chance. <SNIP> are they aware that you arent supposed to go into a yellow box??

I rolled down my window and said to one driver who left about twenty feet in front of him chatting on the phone as traffic behind him was forced into the yellow box " would you not move forward ten feet as you are blocking the traffic on this side from moving across the bridge" "I am not blocking anything" "no i mean you need to make use of all the space so the cars coming up from behind can create and through space for the traffic on this side" "what are you talking about i do nothing wrong"

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr can you hear all that beeping???????"

It's a disaster of a road but in fairness to it, when heading to Lucan it can get me on to rigged hill and on to lucan quicker than the clonsilla village route.

It's a dangerous road and very little space for walkers after the Mochtas bridge heading south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

It's called Porterstown Road, and you have no reason to be on it, you should be on the bridge further east. In any case, the road is being redone over the next few months to make that the default route, to discourage through traffic over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    It's called Porterstown Road, and you have no reason to be on it, you should be on the bridge further east. In any case, the road is being redone over the next few months to make that the default route, to discourage through traffic over the bridge.
    I never knew it was a private road and im living in this area long time :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@wildlifeman: you're right, where the drivers hail from IS irrelevant - unless you asked them all to display their passports, you have no idea where they hail from. country of origin is not pertinent to your gripe, so I've removed those comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    It's called Porterstown Road, and you have no reason to be on it, you should be on the bridge further east.

But you understand that that goes into the back of Carpenterstown, rather than straight to Castleknock College or the girl's school. Forgotten the name. It's much easier and quicker for getting to the Castleknock Hotel and Angler's Rest as well. Also, if someone is going from Clonsilla to the new primary school down there, or Porterstown Church, they'd have to take a massive detour.

I don't mean to be annoying, but what a silly thing to say.

Even sillier still, what stupid places to put schools without proper access. It's the quickest way for me to get to Inchicore by car in the morning during school holidays, and easily the worst to go any other time.

I don't even know what I'm going out about. Everyone stay off that road so I can get to work quicker in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

JoePie wrote: »
    But you understand that that goes into the back of Carpenterstown, rather than straight to Castleknock College or the girl's school. Forgotten the name. It's much easier and quicker for getting to the Castleknock Hotel and Angler's Rest as well. Also, if someone is going from Clonsilla to the new primary school down there, or Porterstown Church

Not for long though, the end of the bridge is being connected to the Church end of Porterstown Rd, like I posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

JoePie wrote: »
    Even sillier still, what stupid places to put schools without proper access.

Well, there's plenty of access on foot or if people cycle. But the majority of people still insist on shuttling little Johnny or Mary to the door of the school in their cars. So that problem isn't going to go away.

I live at the back of this road in Riverwood. The new road is under construction, I think for completion in early next year according to reports. It will link the south side of the bridge to the Luttrellstown Road - this is the road that runs along past Porterstown church to Luttrellstown Castle. Should ease the issue at the level croissing - there were some talks about blocking this to car access, but maybe someone can clarify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the plan was to make the old bridge a cul de sac. Push all traffic over the new one into Riverwood. Dr Troy bridge. What it will do is make the traffic on Diswellstown Road a lot worse. Though volumes are down everywhere I think with the downturn. Diswellstown Road is a bad rat run as it is.

The problem is they shouldn't have allowed all the development in Dublin West when there was no road infrastructure to take it. Its been a traffic disaster for decades. So it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who moves into the area.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=32954

Advertisement