Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit early I know but...

Options
  • 11-10-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Do taxi drivers in Galway city work on Christmas Day?
    I'm in Australia at the mo and planning on surprising the parents on Christmas day :D

Trying to plan my route from Dublin airport on Christms Day :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

fend wrote: »
    I'm in Australia at the mo and planning on surprising the parents on Christmas day :D

They do, but you need to book ahead. I've booked taxis on Christmas Day in Galway over the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Would recommend pro cabs. We've used them for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best bet is to ring a few hackneys and check, then ring again a week or so before you arrive and confirm.
    There will be taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hope it won't be freezing and horrible road conditions for you on Christmas day as it has been the last few years. Maybe you should also have a back up plan in place to stay the night in Dublin just in case things don't go to plan. I presume trains run the day after Christmas so you wouldnt be altogether stranded if it did happen.
    Good luck!!
    My cousin did the same a few years ago and it came as a great surprise. Just don't give your parents a heart attack Christmas morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why Christmas day though. If you would get into Ireland on xmas eve it would probably be marginally easier to get around as everything is still running and it may end up that you'd be arriving so late in the evening it might as well be Christmas day. I'm sure your parents would be as happy to see you either day and you'd have the whole day and wouldn't be wreaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Your best bet would be to call a taxi firm in Dublin....you might be hard pressed to find a galway taxi driver willing to go all the way to Dublin on Christmas Day. Big O Taxis and Galway Taxis are open on Christmas Day as well as the others mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

fend wrote: »

Ouch!! Would you not travel home a few days before? You will be shattered by the time you get back and there's very little margin for error on X-mas day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Ouch!! Would you not travel home a few days before? You will be shattered by the time you get back and there's very little margin for error on X-mas day
    That's what makes it exciting! :pac:

Rather than watch someone do the exact same thing in some horrible Christmas movie you could record the journey and play some of the horrible Christmas music by buying a Christmas movie soundtrack cd/itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 I like Cookies

Oh on the way down from Dublin, ask the taxi driver to play 'Driving home for Christmas'!!!:):):):):):):)

'Oh I can't wait to see those faces...'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's what makes it exciting! :pac:

Rather than watch someone do the exact same thing in some horrible Christmas movie you could record the journey and play some of the horrible Christmas music by buying a Christmas movie soundtrack cd/itunes.

I can see it now. Comical music playing when he's getting a hand up his ass in customs because he forgot about the bottle sherry he was bringing over. Him telling the people in Dublin airport that the bus isn't leaving because of weather with sad music... but he's just got to get home for X-mas so everybody bands together and he gets a Garda car to drive him just so he doesn't miss it with that defiant type upbeat music. All the neighbours pile into the living room when they notice him enter the house from the Squad car...everybody sings a x-mas carols and the OP pronounces there's no place like home...frankly dad I don't give a damn and Merry X-mas everyone.

Then the day just turns into the same old crappy boring x-mas. His dad passes out drunk around 6pm in his jocks on the couch. His mother throws a fit because nobody ate enough and his sister b@stard child cries because he broke one of his toys. JOKING!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You right, it's a bit early to know for definite.

This page lists planned public transport in Galway for Christmas 2010, ie last year.

I say planned 'cos in the event lots of flights were delayed due to the weather, and Bus Éireann laid on some buses on Christmas Day itself. (Was really impressed that they managed this at such short notice.)

Pay particular attention to the lack of buses and trains on Christmas Day, and limited services on (St) Stephen's Day.

No idea what this year's plans are, at this stage, but I'd guess they will be similar.

Yes, there will be taxis. But you could be pushing it to get one all the way from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Wompa1 wrote: »
    ......All the neighbours pile into the living room when they notice him enter the house from the Squad car...everybody sings a x-mas carols and the OP pronounces there's no place like home...frankly dad I don't give a damn and Merry X-mas everyone.

Then the day just turns into the same old crappy boring x-mas. His dad passes out drunk around 6pm in his jocks on the couch. His mother throws a fit because nobody ate enough and his sister b@stard child cries because he broke one of his toys.....

Jaysus xmas in your house must be like an episode of Eastenders:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

pm'd

Advertisement