Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Your" Doctor

Options
  • 11-10-2011 2:44pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've seen and heard people saying that they have an incarnation of the Doctor that they consider "their" Doctor. Usually it's the one that was there when they first watched.

I started watching in earnest with Tennant, saw the odd Christopher Eccleston episode. I really liked Tennant, but now I would consider Matt Smith to be closer to the definition of "my" Doctor. I think I'll be upset when 11 regenerates, I actually wasn't too put out when 10 did.

So do you have a number that you consider "your" Doctor, or is your head turned very easily like me? :p

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Paul Mcgann as the 8th Doctor will always be "My" Doctor

*Awaits the haters to roll in........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I grew up in the wilderness years, so my exposure to Dr.Who was limited to the first 8, more a case of my Doctors, really. Mind, I leapfrog depending on whichever one is taking my fancy most at a time, Smith and Troughton topping the list most recently.

I've also been following a bit more of Colin Baker, a guy who was once often lambasted for being the most unlikeable Doctor, usually by folk who're oblivious to the fact that was by design. He's a bit like House MD in space, with awful clothing, of course.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Previously to this I would have said either McCoy or Davison were My Doctor (they were re running Davison while the McCoy stuff was new) but I'd agree with the OP that Smith's run is kinda tearing up the old rule on that one and I think I will be much sadder to see him go than I was when I saw the movie on its release (speaking of which, on subsequent viewings I'd like to see more of McCoy, his old weary Doctor in it is interesting. Pity the series got hiatused when it did).

It seems to be very common for the..more... invested of Who fans to, while not actively dislike Tennant, be not as attached to him as the casual people (I'm basing this on the number of one shot posters who showed up to complain when 10 was done about the new Doctor, and tell us about how huge fans of the show they were, which is weird because they never bothered to find the forum when they were enjoying the show. *shrugs*).

Tennant was the definition of nuwho but Smith is like a bridge between the new and the old and I think that's why I like him so.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

When I got into Doctor Who Tennant's run was already in swing, and I really enjoyed his run. I retrospectively watched the 9th Doctor episodes, along with some 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th Doctor material, but not a lot so not in much a position to judge. However, 11 was the first Doctor that I watched right from the start of his tenure, to me he was my first "new" Doctor. For this and other reasons (his character, his mannerisms) he's fast becoming "my Doctor", with 10 a close second, though I was quite impressed by 8 in the Movie, even if the film itself was less than perfect (Eric Roberts pun not intended!). Like the OP, I did't really mind Tennant leaving, it was kind of exciting, but I really don't want 11 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I've only seen a handful of the classic series episodes so I can't really judge the old ones. Of the new three Smith is definitely my favourite and I think I slightly prefer Eccelston to Tennant but I wouldn't call Smith "my" Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

I was introduced to Doctor Who as the Ninth Doctor. I wasn't too fond of him and was kind of glad he was leaving. I really like David Tennants run as the Doctor and I did weep a little when he said "I don't want to go". But since series 6 I've been hooked in by Matt Smith. He plays everything so well and the standard of writing we've gotten since Moffat took over helps. The Eleventh Doctor is my Doctor. He's just far more engaging than the previous two.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Although I was aware of Jon Pertwee being the Doctor. It was Tom Baker who was 'my Doctor' of classic Who. I had a hard time adjusting to Peter Davison particularly as they had syarted adjusting the format, time slot etc. So most of his tenure slipped by me. I found Colin Baker's performance too dark to reconcile with my childhood hero but on looking back and learning the truth on what went on behind the scenes. I think we were all robbed of what could have been a very different Doctor. I only caught Sylvester McCoy's performance once when I was living in London and he was fighting 'Bertie Bassett'. That was enough for me. and I switched off. It seemed to (at the time) that Doctor Who had been turned into a bad joke.

I caught the tv movie some years later. I definitely think it's not as bad as people make out. It's saved by Paul McGann's rather endearing performance. It's such a pity that he only got one shot at it. But it also gave me hope that it could be done again. That the spirit of Who could be saved.

Well moving on a few years and the show returned. I've been watching it on DVD recently (just finished series 3 last night in fact) so it's all pretty fresh in my mind. Christopher Eccleston is a fabulous actor but he never reallt gelled as the Doctor for me. Largely I suppose because Series 1 is mostly from Rose Tyler's perspective but there you go.

When David Tennant took over, I thought 'now this is more like it!' and I've huge admiration for what Tennant did and his commitment to the role. I really didn't want him to leave. i had seen the special on Matt Smith getting the role and thought to myself: 'he'll be a one season wonder'.

Of course, I was completely wrong! I was bowled over by his performance. Every episode of Series 5, he grew on me more and more. A very different Doctor from Tennant but still the same Who underneath it all.

To sum up then (sorry for being longwinded!), Classic Who: Tom Baker is my doctor with a doubt. New Who: It was David Tennant but Matt Smith came in and nudged him off.

The sad thing is eventually all 'our Doctors' leave. It's heartbreaking. Also I don't think there's quite a show that both divides us and yet unites us on 'Who our Who is'. Anyway finished rambling now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

My favourite doctor is John Pertwee, the stries were interestingand the Unit involvement mae the whole thing more 'Grounded'in our reality, then Peter Davison, then Tom Baker, of the new who's it has to be Tennant, I dont really like Matt Sith's Doctor, but I do like the overall show, the Production an writing are of a high standard and rory & Amy are brilliant partners.

also the first ever episode of Dr Who I saw was the one with Pertwee and the Killer Daffodils. so I suppose he's always gonna be the doctor all the others are measured against

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be the exact same as yourself Das Kitty. I'd noticed the original series whilst channel hopping as a kid, I'd never stuck with an entire episode. The first full episode I saw was 'The Girl in the Fireplace' (initially laughing at the girl who was interrupting a lost weekend in Glasgow for a "kids show" :o). Instantly hooked!

I got my hands on all the previous episodes of the revived series and devoured them. So, even though technically Tennant would technically be 'my doctor', Smith has quickly became my favourite :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I've been watching Who for as long as I remember, my family are big fans too.
    I have vague recollections of Tom Baker, but I must have been extremely young.
    I think I fully started personally following Who when McCoy was the Dr. Although I remember Peter Davison and enjoyed Who more with Colin Baker in the role.
    I think Christopher Eccleston did what he was supposed to, and I was excited about Tennant and his energy. I do think he should have left a season or so sooner, I really got tired of him at the end.
    I do agree that Smith has an air of "Old Dr. Who" about him and I am really enjoying his tenure, even though I was apprehensive at his age initially.
    So I'd have two "My Dr.'s" Colin Baker and Matt Smith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, pity me, because technically my Doctor was a choice between Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy; such is the curse of being a child of the '80s! Having said that, considering how much the show had plummeted in quality & popularity by then, I hadn't actually watched any of those episodes, and was barely aware of the show's existence until the early '90s. We only had 6 channels on our TV, so I wasn't even exposed through the repeats that used to air on the TV Gold channel.

Cue the VHS tapes & my education in classic sci-fi. My older brother grew up during the Pertwee / Tom Baker era and it was he who introduced me to Doctor Who. I'm not sure why, I guess he just saw my love of sci-fi & monsters, so figured Doctor Who would be something I'd warm to.

By then, the BBC had released a lot of those old stories on VHS tapes, where they merged all the episodes into one feature-length adventure. It takes some nerve & patience to sit through those old 7-episode stories in one sitting; oof. I think the very first story I watched was the Jon Pertwee serial Day of the Daleks (a mediocre first-step really, although I see a remastered version is out on DVD with new FX and scenes). I still remember the cheap & naff cover of the tape, but I also remember loving this weird homespun, distinctly British show of someone's cool uncle fighting monsters.

If I was still unsure whether I liked 'Who or not, when I watched the early Tom Baker adventures, in all their gothic & violent glory, my mind was made up by then. Terror of the Zygons was a personal favourite (and kinda surprised they never re-appeared in newWho) & before it appeared on DVD, I treasured my VHS tape recording of Genesis of the Daleks.

From there on in, I went out of my way to dig out all the old stories from the Pertwee / T. Baker years. Eventually I gave the 80s Doctors a whirl years after the fact; there's no denying they were an aberration, although Davison's portrayal was a saving grace. I don't mind admitting that I caught up with a lot of the old stories via the power of the internet: many of the old 70s/80s adventures couldn't be got on VHS and before Who came back in '05, there weren't that many DVDs of the old stories either.

Did you try the later McCoy series? They're quite good. Admittedly, his run got off to a wonky start, but the threads they were weaving regarding the Doctor towards the end was really interesting. I will say, to enjoy a lot of C.Baker stories, you've got to go in actively looking for postives, but they're there to be found. The long reviled Twin Dilemma actually containing a number of fascinating insights into the Doctor's pathos.

I swear, sometimes I feel as though Nathan-Turner's sole vocation was to actively decimate the Who brand. Between the interrogation marks on the collar, to the insistence of light-entertainer cameos in major roles, to leaving Eric Saward to navigate the series creatively. Just misstep after misstep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I eventually did yeah, though more out of morbid curiosity than anything. They were OK, and you could see they were trying to take the show into a new direction & shift the tone a little. A shame they didn't try it earlier, and not at the very minute before cancellation as the damage was already done.

It was also interesting that there were a lot of beats & elements the new-series would eventually use (The doctor as mysterious legend, the companion's emotional journey & arc being more to the front, the more domestic settings & characters etc.). There was still not getting away from the awful acting, clunky scripting & non-existent production values

I think though the reason JNT stayed on was because he was effectively blackmailed into doing so; the BBC chiefs saw no future for the show, and were happy for it to become a crappy little backwater of TV, so better just to let JNT rattle on with it

JNT only really expressed a desire to leave in '88ish, long after the damage'd been done. If he'd jumped off 4 years prior, as was the norm for Who producers at the time, his legacy'd probably be a lot less tarnished. The guy's like RTD's failure doppelganger, I think. They both shared similar ambitions in making the show huge and broad. I guess JNT's failures served as a 101 for RTD.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    JNT only really expressed a desire to leave in '88ish, long after the damage'd been done. If he'd jumped off 4 years prior, as was the norm for Who producers at the time, his legacy'd probably be a lot less tarnished. The guy's like RTD's failure doppelganger, I think. They both shared similar ambitions in making the show huge and broad. I guess JNT's failures served as a 101 for RTD.

RTD confuses me, sometimes I hate him, for the JNT style drivel he was responsible for with farting unfunny aliens et al, the terrible suspension of disbelief smashing climaxes, the cop out "deaths", then he turns around and does Turn Left or Midnight or shows he's wily enough to let Moffat breathe when writing and it looks like he knew exactly what he was doing, all the meantime revving Who up so it could achieve the international popularity it has now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I suppose Tennant is "my" Doctor.

Though I watched the 80's and some 90's episodes growing up I was never a huge huge fan of the show.

I watched the Eccleston episodes and started getting into it, but I loved the Tennant episodes and really drew me in as a Doctor Who fan.
    That said I wasn't a fan of the Catherine Tate series, honestly she just annoyed me as a companion, though it did have a few moments.

I'm loving Matt Smith as the Doctor, even though I initially was not to keen on him. However he has proven to be a fantastic Doctor, and whilst the whole River Song story has dragged on a bit to much the last two seasons, I am still very impressed with him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Growing up? McCoy was the first Doctor I really got to see on screen. The ambling man, rolling his rs and wandering around was something I enjoyed and I was probably too young to notice the bad episodes. I can recall watching the finale in '89 as the Doctor and Ace wandered off.

After that though there was the repeats of Classic Who on Super Channel and then it was Tom Baker, like many. No need to describe why it was him... for so long.

But perhaps not for ever. With new Who it is, by a very VERY wide margin, Matt Smith. I think he's superb in the role - combining the best of old and new Who as well as a good shot at the bumbling alien. I will definitely be sad to see him depart. Please don't Matt! You're young! You've decades yet in the role.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me it was Tom Baker. I started watching at the very end of Pertwees run and liked him, but Baker sealed the deal for me. Davison came along when I was at an age where I was looking for more "adult" stuff I suppose, so didn't really give him a fair crack of the whip, but looking back he was as good a replacement for Baker as you were going to get.

Of the new Who, Ecclestone is a great actor, but I think the doctor was a little bit of a stretch for him IMH. Tennant was a definite improvement for me. It's a pity Moffat didn't have more an equal say during his tenure. I'm still meh about Smith tbh. I like him more than I did, but I can't take him as seriously as many of the others who've had the role.

Maybe for me with Smith it's down to certain aspects of the writing? RTD gets a lot of (rightful) static for how he did things, but Moffat, while being better in lots of ways, is too "nerdy" for me. Too aimed at a particular fanbase who like the whole "let's figure out the puzzle" aspect of the show. IMHO Moffat is also less comfortable with writing relationships IMHO. He's more nuts and bolts. More plot than story kinda thing*.

I reckon Doctor Doom makes a good point when he said "It seems to be very common for the..more... invested of Who fans to, while not actively dislike Tennant, be not as attached to him as the casual people". Though I'd quibble a little on the "invested" bit. It would be my take that it's a certain part of the invested fanbase described above. Smith is a "nerdy" doctor. Troughton was similar in the original series, before nerds were even invented. Well he is a time traveler. :D Ecclestone was the broody "I listen to the Smiths. On vinyl" doctor, Tennant was the life and soul of the party doctor. The different personalities appeal to different fans I suppose.

*Don't get me started on River Song, for me she's more distracting than Rose was and the "love will save her" plot device was as clunky as anthing RTD had a hand in..

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

baker o'course and then mcoy I guess.. I guess I was too high when i watched mcoy's eps cos I never really noticed anything too terrible aboutthem.. although I don't remember much of them now

of the new who's.. I dunno. eccleston was great I think, but he wasn't really.. the doctor. tennant I really grew to dislike towards the end and I think that's colouring my opinions of his earlier seasons.. I remember I liked him quite a bit when he started but now... meh

and smith I just can't figure out. He seems so ... bland, like he's not there and there's a doctor shaped hole in every story spouting lines and having people talking at it but then once or twice every couple of eps he just does something, or says something or has a look that makes me warm to him. It doesnt last though, I guess I agree with wibbs that moffat is making the show too nerdy.

also, i dislike amy more than rose. rory's cool, but amy needs to go away.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe for me with Smith it's down to certain aspects of the writing? RTD gets a lot of (rightful) static for how he did things, but Moffat, while being better in lots of ways, is too "nerdy" for me. Too aimed at a particular fanbase who like the whole "let's figure out the puzzle" aspect of the show. IMHO Moffat is also less comfortable with writing relationships IMHO. He's more nuts and bolts. More plot than story kinda thing*.

I reckon Doctor Doom makes a good point when he said "It seems to be very common for the..more... invested of Who fans to, while not actively dislike Tennant, be not as attached to him as the casual people". Though I'd quibble a little on the "invested" bit. It would be my take that it's a certain part of the invested fanbase described above. Smith is a "nerdy" doctor. Troughton was similar in the original series, before nerds were even invented. Well he is a time traveler. :D Ecclestone was the broody "I listen to the Smiths. On vinyl" doctor, Tennant was the life and soul of the party doctor.

I kind of agree with you- If I have one criticism of the recent series it's indeed that Dr Who is getting very adult and complicated.

While that's fine and great for me, nerdy nerderson that I am (my avatar on an internet forum is a transformer pretending to be the doctor ffs) I am frequently concerned how the kiddies are finding all the bait and switch time travel stuff. Or the dark side of the Doctor closing the door on old Amy, for example.

Although maybe I am not giving kids enough credit- when I was about 8 I was devouring the UK run of the Transformers comics and that was hugely time travel heavy (and featured a kinda almost cross over with the 7th Doctor, I'll have you know!) and I just absorbed it without thinking. I also clearly remember watching Hartnell lying through his teeth about a broken Tardis component so he could go poke around what turned out to be a Dalek city and just accepting it.

• Advertisement

I kind of agree with you- If I have one criticism of the recent series it's indeed that Dr Who is getting very adult and complicated.

While that's fine and great for me, nerdy nerderson that I am (my avatar on an internet forum is a transformer pretending to be the doctor ffs) I am frequently concerned how the kiddies are finding all the bait and switch time travel stuff. Or the dark side of the Doctor closing the door on old Amy, for example.

Although maybe I am not giving kids enough credit- when I was about 8 I was devouring the UK run of the Transformers comics and that was hugely time travel heavy (and featured a kinda almost cross over with the 7th Doctor, I'll have you know!) and I just absorbed it without thinking. I also clearly remember watching Hartnell lying through his teeth about a broken Tardis component so he could go poke around what turned out to be a Dalek city and just accepting it.
    All fair enough, and I was asking those questions myself during the run of the 6th series. But when posting my reply to this thread, it occurred to me that large portions of the Pertwee & T. Baker years were incredibly violent, dark tales. Sure, emotionally they might not have been as heavy-hitting as the new stories, but it wasn't uncommon for adventures to be steeped in violence & blood. Or for T. Baker to show his alien side & callously dismiss the death of a human.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and smith I just can't figure out. He seems so ... bland, like he's not there and there's a doctor shaped hole in every story spouting lines and having people talking at it but then once or twice every couple of eps he just does something, or says something or has a look that makes me warm to him.
    That would nail my take on him too TBH. He has his moments, but there's(for me) no affection(?) for him. While I don't agree with AA Gill's opinion of his lack of acting ability, I do think him limited. Now lots of actors are limited, but within those limits are I guess attractive as the characters they play. Tennant being a good example for me. He is utterly convincing as over the top or heavy with the emotion scenes(hence he was a beaut for Hamlet). He wouldn't do background mousey too well. Smith again for me is more a vehicle for the lines. I don't get the inner life part of his performance if you know what I mean. He's all surface. If you switched him in that scene with Tennant and Piper when they're split up by the universes separating, IMHO there's no way he would have pulled that one off.
    I dunno about adult DD, complicated yea. Like I said it's overall more driven by plot device than story or relationships within the story. Very Moffat IMH. He uses as you say the "bait and switch" timey wimey stuff a lot. And is just as capable as ever RTD was of tying up loose ends in a dodgy manner. IE River's love conquers all and learning to fly the Tardis in 30 seconds. "She taught me how to fly her" line was a tad cringeworthy for me. Amy and Rory's childhood mate who appeared outa the blue who happened to be River was another "ah here" which didn't make much internal sense.

Yea I don't think kids are too pushed by that "dark" stuff. Some of Bakers early ones were all dark and gothic(mary whitehouse went ape over a couple of them) and he left Sarah Jane with barely a look back. Same with Leela IIRC. I remember being sad as a kid when they left and thinking "jeebus he's a cold fish, but sure he's an alien". I'm sure kids today would be thinking the same.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

RTD confuses me, sometimes I hate him, for the JNT style drivel he was responsible for with farting unfunny aliens et al, the terrible suspension of disbelief smashing climaxes, the cop out "deaths", then he turns around and does Turn Left or Midnight or shows he's wily enough to let Moffat breathe when writing and it looks like he knew exactly what he was doing, all the meantime revving Who up so it could achieve the international popularity it has now.

I'd echo that completely. As an aside, like I need to qualify it, but I knew RTD was amongst the best TV writers living before he helmed Nu-Who, and I can understand the logic behind introducing real broad elements into, ensuring its continued success.

I get it and enjoy just about all, but there's just the odd time where I can't see much sustained reasoning in his writing, like the case of 10's regeneration which completely contradicted everything he went out of his way to establish in the transition from 9-to-10 and how it constantly reassured it audience that it will indeed be the same man on the other end, but not here, it felt as though it was sacrificing the continued health of Who in favour of a once-off dramatic moment, however satisfactory, that made it that bit harder for Smith to be accepted amongst the casuals, who, to chargrin of the 'core', are the show's bread and butter.

Really, imagine how much more brilliant The End of Time would've been if the Doctor really thought he was on his way out, and the joy of realizing he was going to continue, but the melancholy of knowing it was the end of 10, where he could reflect and mope about it being the end of his favourite life, but optimistically embrace the coming change. It would've done the show so much good, instead of the slightly sombre cloud patch over 11's arrival. I mean, it would be hard for anyone to be willing to engage with the post-regen mania after such a drawn-out, sad and lonely ending, no?

It's weird, for all the overwrought and highly weepy endingness, I still feel as though I didn't get to say a 'proper' goodbye to Ten, oddly. As though the sadness of it had been taken away from me, as he was written to wallow in his own misery. It just completely went against the usual Doc-regen hutzpah, in all the wrong ways.

Plus one to Mr S's post. I agree 100%. It was well OTT and IMHO RTD was seeking to sour the milk of his replacement, both in writing and the lead. No wonder Moffat changed the theme music(which IMH is shíte) and tried to distance himself as much as poss from the previous. It didn't do either of them any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I'm very new to Dr Who, I only started watching around the middle of August, when Leaving Cert results jitters turned me into an insomniac!

I watched a few episodes from season 4,then started properly with Eccleston and am currently working my way through season 5 - so I should have caught up in time for the Christmas Special (and then I can go back and start watching the older stuff!) :D

Technically Matt Smith is probably my Doctor, but I'll always have a special love for David Tennant, he's the first one I ever saw (and he's just so damn pretty..) Although his relentless bouncing off the walls got a little exhausting towards the end.
    But I honestly love them all (well,all 3 I've seen so far anyway), I'm the shallow type and am easily swayed it seems... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Technically Christopher Eccelston is my Doctor and I was strangely attached to him, despite his short run. I couldn't stand Tennant at first, because he was no Eccelston and while I grew to love Tennant, I would always rate Eccelston higher. But like a lot of other posters here, with the arrival of Matt Smith, everything changed - as someone else already mentioned, he embodies the best of Classic Who and New Who, so I feel like Smith is my Doctor and I think I will be very cut up when his departure is announced (lets hope its not for another few years anyway)...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Tennant Tennant Tennant. He is definitely MY Doctor! I do have to say though, that I am completely unfamiliar with any of the old Who, so I am basing my choice completely on the 3 new ones. I realize Matt Smith has gotten a lot of praise and acclamation for his portrayal of Who, and I think the reason I haven't warmed to him (besides my loyalty to Tennant), is that I don't know anything of old Who, and it has been said a lot that he incorporates both old and new Who. Maybe I'm just not seeing him as good old classic Who. I sometimes I find him kinda silly and unsure and coming across as goofy, whereas I loved Tennant's portrayal of a completely confident, assertive, all-knowing Doctor who races feared and called The Destroyer of Worlds. I don't think Matt Smith has that element to him, and I think it suited Tennant's Doctor. I loved the sense of power he exuded.

Plus: he's hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I don't think Matt Smith has that element to him
    Indeed the past two series have been about knocking the Doctor down several pegs and undoing that element that RTD created.

Only recently in fairness. Smith/Moffats Doctor was even more hyped up centre of the universe lonely god at times. Pandorica, the whole Silence thing. Rory showing up to some cyberman ship and the fleet exploding behind. Yea the Doctor is that powerful guff. Made no sense for me. TBH both RTD and Moffat's direction on that score was a bugbear for me. I defo preferred the old Who in that regard. He had less of a superhero/god vibe going on. Much more subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I turned the big four oh this year and while I would agree mainly with what Wibbs has said I would temper it with the fact that my age may be playing a part. I'm not as patient with the whole watch 10 episodes to find out why event a happened by seeing event b and I'm not as engaged in the guessing games. My mates 14 year old seems to love it from what I can tell. His dad isn't a fan so when I talk to him he goes on and on about it :)

As to my Doctor it was Tom Baker who first sent me behind the couch. I do wonder sometimes if this phenomenon exists anymore because myself and my sister really would hide behind the couch but I get the feeling it's a thing of the past. I started watching towards the end of Baker and the beginning of Davidson and I think the differences between the two actors appealed to me a lot. I loved Davidson almost as much as Baker but didn't really take to the rest. I stuck it out until McCoy and then gave up as I just didn't like him and I was probably too old for the kind of Doctor he was doing (or too young?).

I've watched the new guys with a far more critical eye as I'm older and more aware of certain things. I thought Tennant was very good and Smith too is doing a good job particularly as I thought going for somone that young was a dodgy direction (but I would still like an older Doctor to follow).

As to RTD's ending of Tennant's tenure I honestly don't think he was trying to sabotage it at all. I suspect it was completely self-serving. Thats how it felt to me anyway. This dramatic long drawn out regenaration was pure "weren't we all fantastic" stuff.

I enjoyed most of the last series but again perhaps with the age thing some of the "emotional" stuff hasn't worked that well for me. I look at some of the reviews here of episodes that felt hollow to me and see all the gushing about how sad certain scenes were and so on and feel sometimes like I'm on a different page but hey vive la difference.

Advertisement