Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Your" Doctor

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

mewso wrote: »
    As to RTD's ending of Tennant's tenure I honestly don't think he was trying to sabotage it at all. I suspect it was completely self-serving. Thats how it felt to me anyway. This dramatic long drawn out regenaration was pure "weren't we all fantastic" stuff.

That's the bit that kind of annoys me. Here's the guy, RTD, who fought like a warrior to get Doctor Who recognized for what it was and can be, the sort of the stories it serves as a whopping platform for and the like, and he suddenly just disappears up his own arse at the end of his tenure and remains there, blind to the sort of lasting damage such an ending can impact on the brand.

I think it's just a habit for the 'big' Doctors. Tom Baker's send-off was a bit naff, with Logopolis getting mired in Bidmead's quest for stringent logic above interesting storytelling, who unlike RTD, never had the reputation, the genius or the skill to compensate for providing an underwhelming ending for such a legendary character.

Actually, on the subject of Ten's regeneration, what was it that caused him to explode so much heavier than a typical regeneration? I guessed it was to symbolize his reluctance to go, how long he'd repressed the fact, the force of the radiation poisoning he'd suffered and very overt changing of the guard, but does anyone have any other ideas? I thought it'd be touched on as to why it brought down the TARDIS too, but it was never mentioned.

As an aside, I'll stop banging on about it.....eventually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Actually, on the subject of Ten's regeneration, what was it that caused him to explode so much heavier than a typical regeneration?
    Cos the new team wanted to replace a creaky set that was built on a budget and to clear the decks? I'd say that was it, but yea surprising they didn't "explain" it more.
    I think it's just a habit for the 'big' Doctors. Tom Baker's send-off was a bit naff, with Logopolis getting mired in Bidmead's quest for stringent logic above interesting storytelling, who unlike RTD, never had the reputation, the genius or the skill to compensate for providing an underwhelming ending for such a legendary character.
    +1. I remember being pissed off and underwhelmed at the time.
    That's the bit that kind of annoys me. Here's the guy, RTD, who fought like a warrior to get Doctor Who recognized for what it was and can be, the sort of the stories it serves as a whopping platform for and the like, and he suddenly just disappears up his own arse at the end of his tenure and remains there, blind to the sort of lasting damage such an ending can impact on the brand.
    I still reckon he wasn't so blind. It didn't feel like a handover done with kindness for the next team/actor. He's no dope, he knew well what he was at IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Wibbs wrote: »
    I still reckon he wasn't so blind. It didn't feel like a handover done with kindness for the next team/actor. He's no dope, he knew well what he was at IMHO.

I've no doubt he did know, but such an odd thing to do! Why stitch up,or try to stitch up,the people helping to continue the brand that you regenerated (no pun intended)?

On topic, I've always had a soft spot for Pertwee! The first Dr Who adventure I ever saw was "Day of the Daleks", with him hopping to the Dalek controlled future and I just loved it! That said, I like something about all of the Doctors, and am just crazy about Matt Smith, hope he stays for years

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Actually, on the subject of Ten's regeneration, what was it that caused him to explode so much heavier than a typical regeneration? I guessed it was to symbolize his reluctance to go, how long he'd repressed the fact, the force of the radiation poisoning he'd suffered and very overt changing of the guard, but does anyone have any other ideas? I thought it'd be touched on as to why it brought down the TARDIS too, but it was never mentioned.

I can't find any evidence of where it was now but I seem to recall reading it was because his body was expelling the 11 bajilliquadrules of madupic radiation in his body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I kinda guessed, but being an arsey pedant like me, I notice that the 9th Doctor can suck the time vortex
    itself out of Rose Tyler and still manages to not take out the windows and decking when he explodes. Tut-Tut, Ten,
    Tut-Tut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I kinda guessed, but being an arsey pedant like me, I notice that the 9th Doctor can suck the time vortex
    itself out of Rose Tyler and still manages to not take out the windows and decking when he explodes. Tut-Tut, Ten,
    Tut-Tut.

Did you not read what I said? There was BAJILLIQUADRULES of radiation, man.

11 of them!

Advertisement