Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss keeps her dog in work but I've a fear of them

Options
  • 11-10-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hello,
    One of the directors, who's my boss, where I work recently got a dog and keeps bringing him into work. I have a bit of a fear of dogs and anytime he's running around I start to freak out a bit. I've not said this to anyone as my boss is a bit of a tyrant if she doesn't get her own way. Its only a small company and I'm worried if I bring it up then it will go around the office and cause problems for me.
    Does anyone know if its right that she can bring this dog into work everyday?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

tjc28 wrote: »
    Hello,
    One of the directors, who's my boss, where I work recently got a dog and keeps bringing him into work. I have a bit of a fear of dogs and anytime he's running around I start to freak out a bit. I've not said this to anyone as my boss is a bit of a tyrant if she doesn't get her own way. Its only a small company and I'm worried if I bring it up then it will go around the office and cause problems for me.
    Does anyone know if its right that she can bring this dog into work everyday?
    Thanks

She is one of the directors of a small company so it doesnt really matter if its allowed or not unfortunately its just something your going to have to get over

Also if she is such a tyrant and you do bring it up their is a possibility that she will make your life hell and if their is a law and you bring it up well im sure she could find a law to fire you

not nice i know and i do feel sorry for your situation but really if you do something sounds like you will just make your working environment difficult

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There are devices you can buy which emit a high pitched sound. Inaudible to humans but which annoy dogs. Buy one and plug it in surreptitiously at work. The dog will get upset every time it is brought in. It will soon be left at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Op, why not take some coaching to get over your fear of dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Can you use the excuse that customers might get bitten or stock or samples or other company property might get damaged?
    The high frequency thingy might get discovered unless it is small, unmarked, and very discretely used. A battery operated version, in your handbag away from access by the employers or their agents, might be a better idea.

You could try smuggling in some doggy excrement etc and plant it on the premises to frame the beast.....make sure its warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭tjc28

Hello,
    thanks for replying to my thread. A friend also suggested suggested getting some coaching and maybe this is the best way to go. I guess I'll encounter dogs in other places at other times.
    I was kinda hoping that there'd be some health and safety law but even if there was I'd of had to bring it up and then I'd be causing trouble for myself so caoching may be the best thing.
    Thanks again...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

It could be interpreted as 'Constructive dismissal' but i'm no expert always get advice.Maybe you have an irrational fear of dogs Seamus may well have the answer .Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

tjc28 wrote: »
    Hello,
    thanks for replying to my thread. A friend also suggested suggested getting some coaching and maybe this is the best way to go. I guess I'll encounter dogs in other places at other times.
    I was kinda hoping that there'd be some health and safety law but even if there was I'd of had to bring it up and then I'd be causing trouble for myself so caoching may be the best thing.
    Thanks again...
    get a friend with a dog to introduce it to you, walk with your friend with the dog ,then hold the dogs leed,i helped a friend two years ago in ireland who had a dog phobia,mind you after she walked my bully, she wanted to buy one herself,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

paddyandy wrote: »
    'Constructive dismissal' it looks like
    Hardly. The director in question isn't aware of the OP's fear of dogs.

If people brought their dogs into my workplace, I'd love it, though I'd never get any work done.

There's nothing about health and safety that would prevent a dog from being brought into the workplace unless you're involved in the preparation or handling of food for human consumption. Or unless the dog was presenting a health hazard by using the office as a toilet.

This could be an opportunity to curry favour with your boss. People like their dogs, and they like people who like dogs. Maybe come up with a way that you can use your fear of dogs - mention to your boss that you have a fear of dogs, but her dog looks nice and placid so you'd like to use the dog as an opportunity to get more comfortable around dogs.
    Try it during a break or something (so you're not interrupting the day), where you ask your boss to keep a hold the dog while you pet him.

This will hopefully result in your boss being more conscious about letting the dog wander around the office, as she's aware that you're a bit afraid. It will also help you conquer your fear if you get to know this dog.

Advertisement