Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade or Buy (Bike Value)

• 11-10-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Been reading here and not posting much for the last while, the back injury is still there but hopefully should be getting to a decision/conclusion soon.
    It was hard to read here and see how much the lot of you were still enjoying your cycling :(:p

Anyway we eventually got them to agree to the C2W scheme in work so as I already have my main bike (Giant FCR1) and I have my general commuting bike (Giant Bowery '72) I was thinking of trading up my main bike for something newer/better.

I've read a few old threads that said bike shops don't give anywhere near decent prices on bikes traded in and that adverts is the way to go. Does this hold the same now?
    I still need an estimate on what my bike is worth especially if it's going on adverts. So here it is..
    Bike is a Giant FCR1 with a good few modifications
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61943793&postcount=1203

I've added matching bottle cages ;)
    New tyres ultremo zx (black/blue)
    New saddle fizik arione in white. I've had it a year but with my injury I've done f-all km's on it.
    It's been changed from straight to drops.
    Drops are Richey supercarbon pro logic II bars
    Stem is a Ritchey WCS Carbon Matrix 4-Axis Oversized Road Stem 130mm
    Deda bar tape in blue
    Shimano 105 shifters (to match the bikes groupset).
    I've got a few different cassettes, can't remember which one I have on it at present.
    Pedals have been changed again to Shimano 105 SPD SL 5700

I think thats about it, if you think I've left anything out let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Well there's one here for about €440 (buy it now)
    so I'm guessing that's a reasonable place to star from.
    I know that's UK prices but don't forget that "bike 2 dole" is offering some fair discount on a new bike.
    Having said all that there's a lot of fairly ambitious prices being sought out there but at least the ebay price should set a reasonable floor for you.

GLWS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hybrids depreciate like a rock. Even if it has been switched to drops it's still a hybrid with drops if you know what I mean. Keep it along with all the nice components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How old?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Johnners1878

I don't mean to sound facetious, but it's worth what somebody will pay you for it. You've made a lot of modifications which may or may add value to the bike. As reallyunique says, there are some crazy asking prices around, eg, I've been half looking around for a cheapish but decent winter bike. Among all the Trek 1.2s and Defy 4s I spotted a 2nd hand Carrera Vanquish 2010 model on Donedeal for €400. Halfords are selling them brand-new for €360.

Pick a figure, advertise it, if you get no interest, re-list at a lower price. The market will set a price for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Lumen wrote: »
    How old?

Bought it in 2009. Changed to drops last year.
    Put new saddle/pedals on a few months after changing to drops.
    Been sitting in the spare room since pretty much the start of this year due to injury. Serviced just before the last ride, and Mr.Skeff did the conversion for me.

Johnners I understand what you're saying about it being worth what someone else pays for it but that ain't going to get me anywhere is it ;) I was just looking for a ball park figure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

All the stuff you've added is really top-notch and probably worth well over €440 without the bike! You won't get your money's worth trying to sell it as a complete bike in it's current form. Why not keep bars, stem, saddle, pedals, even tyres for your new bike and replace them with components more appropriate to the frameset. I would spend about £50 at Planet-X or Chainreaction and then try and sell the bike for around €500-€600. You can even boast it has a brand new saddle, pedals, tyres, stem, and bars!

Advertisement