Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaking chimney pots

• 11-10-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I have a stack with 5 chimney pots.Only 2 are in use and the others are capped in various ways.
    I have removed the lead cap from one of the unused ones ( it is just a square shaped piece of lead folded over and aroundthe pot and glued in place) and , upon inspection I can see that there is ongoing seepage into the flue that seems to start about an inch or more below where the pot meets the chimney stack.
    I obviously have to repair the seal but I am wondering the best way to go about it.
    Is it simply a matter of chiseling (chasing) all the way around the perimeter of the pot (it is a 14 or 15 inch diameter - so quite big) and filling the channel with Tetrion All Purpose Filler (or equivalent) -or is there a simpler way?

Have I got to get a good litttle chisel and make a sort of moat around the pot ?
    How wide would it need to be ? Would 3 eights of an inch sound about right? Even a quarter ? And about half an inch deep ,say? And silicon wouldn't do as good a job as filler , would it?

Advertisement