Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weekly shop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

For those living anywhere near Howth its often cheaper to get your fish out there.

I go out once a month and stock up. I got a whole salmon in Wrights last week for €10 and had it filleted. It will do 2 meals or 3 if I make the portions normal size.

Panga is also a good fish to get.Its a vietnemese cat fish. Its really nice and half the price of cod. just soak it in milk overnight to remove some of the flavour, it makes it very mild. and just coat in egg & flour and fry on the pan.

Doran on the Pier or Nicky's Plaice are even better value. There is also a great shop in Coolock Industrial Estate, Kish. They will even advise you on how to cook it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I use Tesco.ie
    I'll try paste the last order:

All my order items
    Quantity Product Price Total
    1 Tesco Fresh Milk 2 Litre €1.49 €1.49
    1 Tesco Cool Tortilla Chips 400G €2.15 €2.15
    1 Tesco 2 Boneless Salmon Fillets 240G €4.99 €4.99
    1 Tesco Premium Cat Food Cuts In Jelly 12 X 100G €2.99 €2.99
    1 Sanex Dermo-Protector Body Wash 500Ml €1.64 €1.64
    1 Pregnacare 30S €5.89 €5.89
    1 Sanex Dermo Invisible Roll-On 50Ml €0.89 €0.89
    2 Finest Apples Loose Class 1 €0.49 €0.99
    1 Milupa Aptamil Follow On Milk 900G €9.39 €9.39
    1 Lucozade Energy Orange Barley 1 Litre Bottle €1.29 €1.29
    2 Pepsi Regular 2 Litre Bottle €2.19 €4.38
    1 Tesco Variety Crisps 6 Pack €1.49 €1.49
    1 Tesco Fromage Frais 6X60g €1.35 €1.35
    1 Tesco Butter 454G €2.19 €2.19
    1 Tesco Multigrain Hoops375g €1.65 €1.65
    1 Heinz Organic Biscotti Baby Biscuits 60G €1.19 €1.19
    1 Tesco Cool Salsa Dip 300G €0.86 €0.86
    3 Tesco Mozzarella And Cheddar Grated 200G €1.17 €3.51
    1 Spring Force Toilet Tissue 4 Roll €1.49 €1.49
    1 Tesco Crinkle Cut Oven Chips 1.81Kg €1.60 €1.60
    1 Tesco Long Life Alkaline Batteries Aaax4 €0.32 €0.32
    1 Bistro Salami A La Lyonnaise 1X250g €2.00 €2.00
    1 Tesco Fresh Cream 250Ml (Bottle) €1.19 €1.19
    2 Tesco Guacamole 200G €1.59 €3.18
    4 Heinz 4 Month Mum's Own Egg Custard 128G €0.56 €2.24
    1 Cully And Sully Mushroom Soup 400G €2.49 €2.49
    1 Duracell Instantcharger €1.90 €1.90
    1 Tesco Market Value Lamb Chops 800G €4.99 €4.99
    1 Tesco 10 Cod Fish Cakes 500G €2.09 €2.09
    3 Wheatfield Ciabatta Roll 2 Pack €0.59 €1.77
    1 Tesco Pole And Line Tuna Chunks In Brine 3*80G €1.86 €1.86
    1 Tesco 12 Mini Vegetable Spring Rolls 216G €1.50 €1.50
    1 Goodness Bananas Pack €1.59 €1.59

After offers €65.70

Not to question your eating habits but I am intrigued as to how 2 adults get 7 meals out of that? I presume its the weekly shop.

2 salmon fillets (1 meal each) and lamb chops (1 meals each?) and 10 fish cakes, 12 spring rolls plus Chips.

Presumably the salami, tuna, bread rolls, and soup are for lunches?

And for the baby -Aptimil, yogurts and custard?

Please share your tips and recipes. That would be about 3 days worth of food in my house :D and we are 2 adults and 2 babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm vegitarian, I work 3 days a week and get dinner for free in work. OH is a student gets 1 or 2 snacks in the canteen in collage. He put €10 per week on the card you can use in the college.

There's 8 chops in the bag of chops, so two meals.

I had some veggies left from the week before and I mostly use frozen veg.

Baby eats what we eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Would any of you that shop in Tesco or Dunnes be able to tell the price of 500g tin of Cadburys Drinking Chocolate also the 250g tin. I shop in SuperValu as the nearest Tesco & Dunnes are 16 & 20 miles respectively. The 500g is €4.02 in SValu & the 250g is €2.81. I didnt buy it today but can ask a friend to get it in Tesco or Dunnes.

In Tesco €3.79 for 500g,
    €2.65 for 250g.

sounds really expensive, €1.59 for tesco chocolate 500g.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your quick reply. SuperValu are dearer with everything but not much in the difference with that price. I wouldnt ask a friend to get it in that case. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I think all will agree with me when i say....

when you are in the likes of supervalu and you see the sign under a product and it says...

Dunnes price: €1.00
    Supervalu price:€1.00

No difference

I feel like grabbing the card and ripping it up... it just makes me want to go to dunnes instead cause why on earth would you boast you have the same price... even if SV just dropped it by 1 cent, it would be better to see!

Rant over.

Access wrote: »
    I think all will agree with me when i say....

when you are in the likes of supervalu and you see the sign under a product and it says...

No difference

I feel like grabbing the card and ripping it up... it just makes me want to go to dunnes instead cause why on earth would you boast you have the same price... even if SV just dropped it by 1 cent, it would be better to see!

Rant over.

Definitively, I find the whole "shopping experience" rather daunting these days, because you need to arm yourself with a calculator and patience. There are so many signs that it's actually difficult to find the price of an item, let alone compare the price per kilo / litre. There are now signs for "price reduced" (was 4.99, now 4.98, make sure the sign is big and neon colored), "same price than...." (great achievment, indeed), "special offer" (find yourself what the special offer applies to because the sign is usually miles away from the product itself), "save 33% compared to leading brand" (sure, you wouldn't have figured out yourself), "we won't be beaten on price" (I'm sure you will), "I'm Irish, buy me" (I'm always half expecting to see a guy stepping out of the shelf with a sign "I'm Irish, marry me")...
    Online shopping doesn't have these pitfalls, and Aldi is, for the time being, the only one who don't awash their shelves with signs, thank God

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Definitively, I find the whole "shopping experience" rather daunting these days, because you need to arm yourself with a calculator and patience. There are so many signs that it's actually difficult to find the price of an item, let alone compare the price per kilo / litre. There are now signs for "price reduced" (was 4.99, now 4.98, make sure the sign is big and neon colored), "same price than...." (great achievment, indeed), "special offer" (find yourself what the special offer applies to because the sign is usually miles away from the product itself), "save 33% compared to leading brand" (sure, you wouldn't have figured out yourself), "we won't be beaten on price" (I'm sure you will), "I'm Irish, buy me" (I'm always half expecting to see a guy stepping out of the shelf with a sign "I'm Irish, marry me")...
    Online shopping doesn't have these pitfalls, and Aldi is, for the time being, the only one who don't awash their shelves with signs, thank God

that is the worst sign ever thought of, what kind of idiot didnt know that?

Aldi do have the least cluttered signage, Lidl are even getting a a bit confusing, esp save 2c signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

I usually got to Aldi or Lidl and get what I can from my list there and then spin over to Tesco (hate Dunnes) for the branded stuff I have to have! O'Driscoll's sliced pan in Tesco is fab and also Honey & Spelt in Aldi is great and healthy too. Cheese I find to be way cheaper in Aldi/Lidl than Tesco. I buy the Tesco baby wipes at 95c, just as good as Johnson's I think and more than half the price. Prefer the fruit and veg from Aldi and Lidl, Aldi usually have a 79c range which is great value. Sign up for email from all the supermarkets so you will see what's on offer from them each week andd can make a decision on what you need to buy from where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Would'nt do a weekly shop down here it still works out way cheaper to go up North for me once a month and stock up. Just buy fruit and veg from my local shop every week. Meat in particular is much cheaper in Asda than it is down here. We used to spend 180 euro a week on average on food in Aldi but now that's dropped to 110 so that is a 280 euro odd saving each month minus 25 euro diesel and tolls. Winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i recommend calculation as you go along

i always bring my phone and add up as i go along and when i get to the till i know exactly what iv spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Would'nt do a weekly shop down here it still works out way cheaper to go up North for me once a month and stock up. Just buy fruit and veg from my local shop every week. Meat in particular is much cheaper in Asda than it is down here. We used to spend 180 euro a week on average on food in Aldi but now that's dropped to 110 so that is a 280 euro odd saving each month minus 25 euro diesel and tolls. Winning.

I'd disagree with you on that. I'm in the north every 3/4 weeks and I haven't "shopped" there for over a year. - I'll pick up what I need for the few days I'm there, but I wouldn't be arsed doing a shop for the home i have in kildare as prices are at best similar to down south and in many case more expensive these days. - I never ever buy supermarket meat, so I can't comment on that end.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I spend about 70 a week in aldi, two adults, one kid. And I like chocolate. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I will be trying Aldi next week. I have worked out all I need is nappies and baby food from Tesco or Dunnes.
    Keep an eye on the Bargain Alerts forum, as nappies bargains come up every so often on it.

=-=

Ensure you go shopping after a meal: you'll find you are in a better frame of mind to get bargain for money. Also less likely to impulse buy.

IMO, if you intend on nulk buying, get loo roll that won't go out of date.
    There's plenty of stuff I get in Aldi, but the bread isn't that nice, also goes off quicker, have had to throw half pans out cos they had mould growing after a few days.
    I find the plastic wrapped bread is easier to keep fresh, and if you get the plastic bag clips they're good for keeping the bread fresh longer. The cheapest bread may cost you more as it'll go off quicker. And since you're in the shop getting more cheap bread, you'll see other stuff you need and BAM goodbye budget :(
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Finally, remember your local butcher.
    Look around, and see if there's any butchers factory outlet nearby? Theres one in Clane that has a very good stock. bulk buy and freeze all of it :D
    Nanazolie wrote: »
    Doran on the Pier or Nicky's Plaice are even better value. There is also a great shop in Coolock Industrial Estate, Kish. They will even advise you on how to cook it
    Dislike the stuff myself, but I know someone who'll find the info handy.
    Access wrote: »

No difference
    Look at the date. It's usually a while back. And if they say no difference, I'd wonder has the other shop dropped their price since that date?

you should try the aldi nappies there alot better then pampers imo and only 6.29 or something great price

also the bread that goes of quick has less preservatives in it so its probably better for you

SuperValu is more expensive for everything than Dunnes Stores & Tesco. I shop in SuperValu because the nearest Tesco is 15 miles away & the nearest Dunnes is 25 miles, so I don't have a choice. I buy certain things in Aldi. I bought 3 rolls of masking tape recently in Aldi and it was useless. It wouldn't stick at all.

lisar816 wrote: »
    you should try the aldi nappies there alot better then pampers imo and only 6.29 or something great price

also the bread that goes of quick has less preservatives in it so its probably better for you

Aldi have started doing baby food too, branded stuff, like Heinz and the Delicious pouches. So with that and nappies, it makes it less lightly you'd have to go somewhere else.

Beside my local Aldi there's a garage and they are jammers every Thursday and Friday with people buying the lotto, cigs and newspapers, the few things you cant get in aldi.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Aldi have started doing baby food too, branded stuff, like Heinz and the Delicious pouches. So with that and nappies, it makes it less lightly you'd have to go somewhere else.

Beside my local Aldi there's a garage and they are jammers every Thursday and Friday with people buying the lotto, cigs and newspapers, the few things you cant get in aldi.

iv seen that its great you can now pick up everthing they even have rusks and the juices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MsHorse

I lost my job a few years ago also and where I found I saved money was by using the extra time I had and thus avoiding premium prices....for instance someone mentioned baby food. Buying baby food in a shop is outrageously expensive, and its surprisingly easy to make your own. Cereals are also very expensive, but 2 euro on an organic porridge(e.g top of the range not own brand) will feed the entire lot of you for breakkie for the week. Don't buy jars, preprepared food, make your own. Make a vegetarian meal twice a week instead of buying meat, healthier and cheaper. Dont buy sweets and biscuits, make some, kids will enjoy the craic and you will save money.
    I spend about 150 per week to feed 4 of us very well. I buy free range chicken and make it stretch over a few days, I cook lentils and veg into some pretty tasty meals, I keep a few jars in the cubboard for emergency evenings which happen but other than that everything I do is homemade including soups using stock form the chicken etc.
    lidl and Aldi are both great, Aldi has some very fine quality food and is great for cheeses, yoghurts and meat and good for sourcing local Irish produce. Aldis veg isnt great, Lidls veg is but you have to be careful in Lidl becuase theres a lot of rubbish along the path of the shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

hillbloom wrote: »
    SuperValu is more expensive for everything than Dunnes Stores & Tesco. I shop in SuperValu because the nearest Tesco is 15 miles away & the nearest Dunnes is 25 miles, so I don't have a choice. I buy certain things in Aldi. I bought 3 rolls of masking tape recently in Aldi and it was useless. It wouldn't stick at all.
    :mad:

Mind you, the problem with Tesco is that the usually have loads of signs up advertising special offers; only when you get to the till, you get charged the full price. Have a look at Connor Popes blog on the Irish times site. His section on Tesco is interesting reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

homeOwner wrote: »
    Not to question your eating habits but I am intrigued as to how 2 adults get 7 meals out of that? I presume its the weekly shop.

2 salmon fillets (1 meal each) and lamb chops (1 meals each?) and 10 fish cakes, 12 spring rolls plus Chips.

Presumably the salami, tuna, bread rolls, and soup are for lunches?

And for the baby -Aptimil, yogurts and custard?

Please share your tips and recipes. That would be about 3 days worth of food in my house :D and we are 2 adults and 2 babies.

I think people lie to themselves about how much they spend on food.

I'm as cheap as anyone but that list for 65 euro would not feed 2 adults and 1 child, it can't.Reading through other shopping lists brings the same conclusion

I spend about 100-120 euro a week on food, it's just me and my girlfriend.

Meat for every dinner costs on average 3-5 euro day.Chicken fillets, beef, steak, lamb, all cost.

A typical dinner of potatoes, chicken ( 4 fillets euro each ), veg, gravy, coleslaw costs about 7 euro, give or take a euro.

7*7 = 49 euro for dinners for the week , then add breakest every morning, lunch for work, something small for supper, a sweat treat, it all adds up.

My 40kg Alaskan Husky dog eats 20 euro of food a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

For those living anywhere near Howth its often cheaper to get your fish out there.

I go out once a month and stock up. I got a whole salmon in Wrights last week for €10 and had it filleted. It will do 2 meals or 3 if I make the portions normal size.

Panga is also a good fish to get.Its a vietnemese cat fish. Its really nice and half the price of cod. just soak it in milk overnight to remove some of the flavour, it makes it very mild. and just coat in egg & flour and fry on the pan.

Did some research on these cat fish. Appearently they use the urine from pregnant women as a growth hormone.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Squall19 wrote: »
    I think people lie to themselves about how much they spend on food.

I'm as cheap as anyone but that list for 65 euro would not feed 2 adults and 1 child, it can't.Reading through other shopping lists brings the same conclusion

I spend about 100-120 euro a week on food, it's just me and my girlfriend.

Meat for every dinner costs on average 3-5 euro day.Chicken fillets, beef, steak, lamb, all cost.

A typical dinner of potatoes, chicken ( 4 fillets euro each ), veg, gravy, coleslaw costs about 7 euro, give or take a euro.

7*7 = 49 euro for dinners for the week , then add breakest every morning, lunch for work, something small for supper, a sweat treat, it all adds up.

My 40kg Alaskan Husky dog eats 20 euro of food a week.

A small whole chicken would be cheaper and do for two dinners or sandwiches after plus you can make soup or stock from the carcass.

Buy the dog a 20kg bag of red mills dog feed for about €15, and a trough:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Squall19 wrote: »
    A fiver would get a you a chicken at the butcher, that'd do 3 days dinners. 2 days dinner, and then 1 day remains as a curry with plenty of veg. Or risotto, where you can reuse the carcuss as stock and whatever meat is left in with the rice. Also, look at the size of the bags of potatoes - 7.5kg bag is often only a euro or so more than a 2.5kg bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A fiver would get a you a chicken at the butcher, that'd do 3 days dinners. 2 days dinner, and then 1 day remains as a curry

I pour out the fat and juices from the roasting tin into a glass or container when the chicken is cooked. When it cools down it goes hard. I then put it into my fridge and when I make a stir fry or curry with the last bits of chicken (or a new piece of chicken) a day or 2 later I throw this flavorful chicken fat into the pan instead of oil. It saves on oil plus it puts a lot of flavors back into the meal. In fact I think it's preferable from a taste point of view to using oil regardless of the fact it saves money on oil.

Squall19, if you didn't eat meat every day, you'd save loads. Have it every other day, ideally twice to three times a week. Or bulk it up, for eg buy mince and make lasagna adding vegs such as carrots and so on. And your health will thank you for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

Quick read through so sorry for any repetitiveness.

Don't eat meat every day! I am not a huge meat lover so it might be harder for others but it can really hike your bill up! Try vegetarian lasagne! It can be SO nice, leave the veggies nice and chunky so it feel like a substantial meal. A nice green salad with it and some homemade garlic bread and hey presto! If you have a house full of carnivores ask your butcher about cheaper cuts of meat.

Try and grow your own veggies if you have the time or the inclination. Keep an eye out for special offers on seeds.

Homemade cleaning products with vinegar, essential oils etc are cheap as chips and you will save a fortune. You will find great ideas on different sites (Kim n Aggie for example)

I've stopped buying unnecessary beauty products. Most women have shelves full of creams and perfumes that they hardly use. Try and be disciplined about it - just get what you need.

FREEZE as much as you can, it took me a while to get into this habit. Throw half your sliced pan in to avoid going mouldy.

If you are baking biscuits/cakes try and do it at the same time as you are cooking your meat - saves on electricity. Otherwise you are better off buying cheap packs in the shops when you factor in ESB. Biscuits are dead cheap in Aldi.

Pasta/rice/couscous/lentils/noodles are cheap. Get own brands. A large pizza and a few packets of noodles should feed a family of 5/6. If you get the plain noodles and add some curry powder to it it's even cheaper than the ones that come with the little flavour sachets. Beef/chicken stock is handy too.

Make your own pasta sauces. The jars can be so expensive. You can get cans of tomatoes for about 70c in aldi/lidl compared to 2/3 + euro for Dolmio. A bit of garlic, onion, carrot and you have a delicious sauce for feck all. Any leftover sauce can be frozen.

Homemade soups! Can make a huge pot and freeze the leftovers. With 1or 2 crusty sandwiches it is a fine meal! Try and think of cheaper meals - they can be just as tasty.

Plan ahead. Make a list of what you need, and stick to it as hard as you can. Have a set budget. Bring a calculator and tot up as you go with your trolley. That way you won't have a shock when you get to the till and can put things back if you are going over your limit. (will also be handy if certain stores prices are not as advertised, you will know straight away if you are being conned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Bernard bread in Dunnes is 65cent for a full size loaf and it's nice quality bread but the cheaper breads in Aldi are around the 80-90c mark and they're muck.

I have to disagree there. I find Dunnes bread to be either hugely expensive with a premium price or else to be absolute muck at the cheaper levels.

As for Aldi . I go out of my way to purchase ''Lynches Crusty Pan'' either white or brown bread at Aldi for 99 cent. I think it's a fantastic sliced pan especially for the price. And it lasts me all week when just in the regular fridge compartment.
    For the staple everyday sliced pan Aldi is where I would go out of all the different stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

foodie66 wrote: »
    Homemade cleaning products with vinegar, essential oils etc are cheap as chips and you will save a fortune.
    Hey where can you get cheap essential oils? Anywhere I see them they're horrendously expensive... €10 for a paltry little 15ml bottle.

Advertisement