Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

belkin n150 router setup problemscently got bluebox broadband installed in my home. w

Options
  • 11-10-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hello, i recently got bluebox broadband installed in my home. i did not have a wireless router on the day of installation so i purchased one later. i got the Belkin n150 on the engineers advice. the problem is that i know nothing about routers, or their setup. i followed the instructions, but got stuck. i have my pc hardwired to the router and need the router for my laptop.
    after installation my PC ground to a halt, nothing would work, even on the desktop, but the laptop was working fine. i then uninstalled the router and reverted back to connecting the blue box router(not wireless) directly to my PC. after some messing around i got my broadband to work properly again on the PC. i am now afraid to try again in case i loose my connection again. i rang Belkin and they helped getting the laptop to work wirelessly, but did not help with the PC freezing problem, also their support technician was in Mumbai i believe so we had major problems talking with each other.
    would anyone on here be able to provide me with instructions on how to properly install this router hardwired to my PC, and wireless to the laptop. i can provide any further details you may need
    thanks in advance
    Seamus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭crzybkr73

UPDATE
    got onto my isp again. turns out the engineer gave me the wrong settings. got the correct ones now and all is working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pgthegr01

I have ordered broadband for Lisfannon, Fahan. I was wondering where you are based and how your service has been? What package did you apply for?

Thanks,

Paul

i live in st johnston, but used to live in buncrana. there should be good coverage where you are as they have an amplifier out at the windmills in the dunree direction. their service seems very good so far, well that is compared with 3 whom i was with before. if i had had my wireless router on the day the engineer would have set it up for me. i opted for a belkin 150 as recommended by the engineer. i went for the bronze package which was giving me download speeds of 15 mbps(at least until i started on the torrent sites), but overall a huge step up from 3 or any other dongle broadband. although it does pay to keep ringing their office to try to push the installation dates forward
    ps if you do not have the router on the day, they will charge you €50 to come out and install it, but it is pretty easy to install yourself with the correct settings

Thanks for your swift reply - They are due to install tomorrow (after a 6-8 week wait). I have my own wireless router, infact i have two. The main one (DHCP server) is a netgear with DD-WRT running on it. It will be well up to the task. I have spent the last 2 years trying to get 3mb at least from various suppliers but Eircom has us all condemed to the Dark ages.

I have applied for their next gen upto 50mb package. If I was to get 20/30 like you, I would be delighted.

I also run a small server that records my terrestrial and satalite FTA stuff, which i can access over the web and stream the recordings. Looking forward to being able to watch TV from anywhere....

Paul

you know a lot more about this than me, but first few days was 15/16 meg, but then i think they capped me because of tor downloads. i guess you can get around that. hope you enjoy it

• Advertisement

the bronze package is what speed? They said there was no caps for me?

the adverts say 3mbit, but the enginer did speedtest using their preferred tester. generally i get 2/3 mbps down. there is no cap, but most isp's with private ip address control will cap your speed,not your allowance if you are downloading too much from torrent sites

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ninyule

The Bronze etc package is not 'next-generation', and is not that great to be honest.

The Next Gen package is considerably better - I am on 'up to 50mbps', and I get at least 20 mbps, sometimes 25. Having said that, the fastest I get on torrents is about 10, and I am not a heavy user.

Service is fantastic for streaming video and apps like iPlayer and Sky Go.

I live north of Rathmullan, directly opposite Buncrana, and with a clear line-of-sight to a transmitter about 6km away.

Hope this helps.

how much do you pay for that per month. do thy still use the same dish?

I pay 32.99 euro a month - the price list is at www.nwewn.com.

Nope, it is a completely different system with a totally different antenna. It's a lot smaller than a dish. I am pretty sure that next-gen is not yet available from all transmitters.

It is so much better than the 'old' dish system, which I had for about 4 years. Much more reliable, you don't have to keep rebooting the modem.

Certainly if anyone is new to bluebox, they should ask if next-gen is available.

Other tips I would have are: ALWAYS ring, never email (they don't answer them). After it's installed, if you're not getting a fast speed, ring up and pester (politely of course!). The speed is set at head office in Derry, and not by the installer.

Initially I was getting about 6-8 mbps, but I pestered and was rewarded with 20...The installer told me that some are getting 30 mbps, but not much more.

• Advertisement

i only got mine installed a few months ago. it is not the old "diamond" dish, but the newer rectangular, NanoStation M5

Yep, mine looks like that one but is made by Proxim, I think.

I think the critical word is WiMAX - it may be that any antenna will work - I am not a broadband techie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CBSNYPE95

Hello there, I think we may be getting a Next Gen Bluebox Broadband Mast put up in a couple of months and I'm wondering what determines the speeds you'll actually get? We are going for the 50 mbps download and 10 upload option and I'd like to know realistically what speeds we'd get? One more thing... will using a broadband beam deflector slow your speed at all or much? Any info would be much appreciated!! :D

Advertisement