Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone remember pat graces chipper?

Options
  • 11-10-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

used to be where kettle of fish is now on cross street,across from buskers..

gravy chips :eek: om nom nom, burgers were divine,had coleslaw on them aswell,real burgers,all the food was yummmmmmm,

murphy familly from coogan park took it over,not sure who started it off, talking 20 plus years ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Sponsored what is now the Airtricity League, it was branded ..

Pat Graces Famous Fried Chicken League of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

food was divine,aromat on the chips mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Dont think it was a Pat Graces chicken place....just Pats chipper. The owner was a gent called Pat Fay afaicr.

was defo pat graces, i know the owners after the original lad left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pat Grace was ex Irish Kentucky Fried Chicken Franchisee who self branded as Pat Grace Famous Fried Chicken after he lost same franchise, there was one such in Salthill for years, probably till the 1990s. Never remember one in Cross Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No never in Cross Street that I can remember but I was away in the late 80s/early 90s.
    Pat Fay had the place which is now Kettle Of Fish in the late 70s or thereabouts. It was called 'Pats Takeaway'.
    Thats when real Chippers existed Pats, Keatings, Courtneys, Green Acres, Paschals, The Wimpy, Hassetts(sp?) and the place in Shantalla that I can never remember the name of.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I thought it was just Pat's..

Home cut chips & coleslaw on the burger is a blast from the past, I think that was a fairly common thing with burgers back in the day.
    I suppose the first scuttermacs around the corner put paid to that chipper or was it gone before that?

Think he had moved on before S'macs arrived. Took Padraics for a while after that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

It was called Pat Graces alright. Got roped into doing a shift in there. At that time Supermacs was in a little unit where Kellys or McIsacs shop is. Carrs paint shop was where supermacs is now. Think it was probably past McIsacs as it was right beside the canal. It was tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Thats when real Chippers existed Pats, Keatings, Courtneys, Green Acres, Paschals, The Wimpy, Hassetts(sp?) and the place in Shantalla that I can never remember the name of.

Greenacres, the place in Bohermore?

• Advertisement

Yep. Loads of grease. Yummy.

was a little one down beside the fire station aswell,where the indian is now,used to be houses there and it was a little greaser in the back.. schooldays goin in for chips n ketchup

Yeah that was Courtneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

And Del Rios in Salthill across from the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

mike kelly wrote: »
    Greenacres, the place in Bohermore?

Green acres was across from the Kebab shop down the west.

Green acres was across from the Kebab shop down the west.

ah yes, I remember it down, but wasn't there a place with that name in Bohermore also?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Looks like there's a new chicken place over the road from CPs and yes, they do have gravy chips.

buck rogers was in prospect hill/bohermore, burger hut was there after,and abrakebabra was down where great outdoors is now, or it was next door where the off license was/is

mike kelly wrote: »
    ah yes, I remember it down, but wasn't there a place with that name in Bohermore also?

The Bohermore place was Green Acres. The place back the West just took the name (guess things were a bit more lax leagaly those days).

Anyone remember the name of the place that tried to be a Chipper/Hostel beside O'Malleys around the same time? Think they were the first place in Galway to put breadcrumbs on fish and chicken.

o malleys?

• Advertisement

barone wrote: »
    o malleys?

The pub across from TKMaxx that keeps changing its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

buck rogers was in prospect hill/bohermore, burger hut was there after,and abrakebabra was down where great outdoors is now, or it was next door where the off license was/is

There were 2 Buck Rogers at one stage if i recall correctly there was the one on Prospect hill and there was one on Eglinton street where Great Outdoors is now!

such a pity buck rodgers closed, it was way better than supermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thelockshop

Ah the good old days when i did not even think about calories, too much grease, salt,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The chicken hut in Limerick still do the same gravy that they used serve in pat graces kfc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The pub across from TKMaxx that keeps changing its name.

You mean MT Pockets/The Wheel House/The Galway Shawl/The Merry Fiddler? I only know because my friend gigs in there and has had the same gig spanning two of the pubs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

xtradel wrote: »
    Dont think it was a Pat Graces chicken place....just Pats chipper. The owner was a gent called Pat Fay afaicr.
    Yeah ,dont remember it being called Pat Graces . Just "Pats" I think Pat Fay died a few years ago , a sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Yeah ,dont remember it being called Pat Graces . Just "Pats" I think Pat Fay died a few years ago , a sound man.

I think you are correct, as far as I can recall Pat ? Elwood ran it first and then Pat Fay( very sound man and I think related to pat elwood) took it over.

it was pat graces lads.... maybe pat's before that or even after,but it was defo pat graces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

it was pat graces lads.... maybe pat's before that or even after,but it was defo pat graces

Pat Elwood and Pat Grace operated in the mid 70's to mid 80's.

Advertisement