Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primal Scream O2 Dublin 29 December 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 surgedublin

looking for something to do after the gig,we will be only a short luas ride away in the twisted pepper
    https://www.facebook.com/events/254348214623659/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 surgedublin

also catch the cujo family
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZvK-Lse2Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

20 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Doors open at 6.30, seems a bit early for a gig? Wanted to get a few pints in before the gig

Battleflag wrote: »
    Doors open at 6.30, seems a bit early for a gig? Wanted to get a few pints in before the gig

That's only the support I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You can win tickets for this every hour on phantom all this weekend and next week too i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

As expected, mustn't be selling very well. Can't see there being more than 2-3k at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

As expected, mustn't be selling very well. Can't see there being more than 2-3k at this.

2-3k is a bit pessimistic in fairness

Is it?

They only sold around 1k in the old point on the Xtrmtr tour and they were arguably a far bigger band back then (and certainly one of the best live bands around at the time). That particular gig was on December 23rd, a day when people would (I reckon) be more likely to go to a gig than the week between Christmas and New Year. There would also be more people in Dublin before Christmas than that week and transport from elsewhere in the country wouldn't be great.

Look at where they've been playing in recent years in Ireland. I'm sure I'm missing some out, but the last few times I saw them here were The Olympia and The Red Box. I know Screamadelica is a popular album, but will they really sell much more than those venues for it? Maybe they're hoping for a lot of Christmas present sales or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That particular gig was on December 23rd, a day when people would (I reckon) be more likely to go to a gig than the week between Christmas and New Year.
    I would have thought 29th is better. I can't remember doing much on any 23rd december, taking it easy for a big session on 24, 25 & possibly 26th -then there is usually a lull until new years, so having it 2 days before is a smart move IMO, time to recover and a good reason for mates to meet up at christmas.

I won't be going though, thought the O2 is too big for it.

• Advertisement

I guess there's two ways of looking at that. I would say a lot of people are based in Dublin, but not from there, so may not be back in Dublin for it. I doubt it'll be a quarter full anyway.

I'm hoping to go, not fully decided yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

There seems to be a lot of ads on the radio for this, which wouldn't normally be a good sign, but I'm sure ticket sales will pick up a bit once people get Christmas shopping out of the way.

It should be a great gig either way..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

I was told standing tickets were already sold out so its definately not goin to be empty like some people seem to think

You were told wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Is 8 o clock a good time to be there for Primal Scream's setlist?

Battleflag wrote: »
    Is 8 o clock a good time to be there for Primal Scream's setlist?
    Not too sure, as far as I know they're doing what they did in London. They come out and play the greatest hits, then a dj, and then they come out and do screamadelica. A lot of people in London missed the first bit of primal scream because it started so early

I don't think that is the case. Looking at any recent setlists it's just Screamadelica followed by Country Girl, Jailbird and Rocks.

The recent ads have been changed to make a point of Adrian Sherwood being there, I'm guessing he's doing what Andrew Wetheral did in London but we'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Not too sure, as far as I know they're doing what they did in London. They come out and play the greatest hits, then a dj, and then they come out and do screamadelica. A lot of people in London missed the first bit of primal scream because it started so early

Happened to me, missed the first set. At festivals, they've just done Screamadelica and then Country Girl, Jailbird and Rocks as post above, but this is their own show. Could go either way.

When was that though? They haven't done anything other than Screamadelica and those three since the start of the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭DrConor

6526452113_b16a1b256e_z.jpg

Arguably, some of Dublin’s finest DJ’s are lined for what promises to be a party that will be sure to help shake off the excess of Christmas and delight the soul.

True legends and musical pioneers in their own right, our headlining guest are probably two of the most well known and loved DJ’s of the last 15-20 years to emerge from the underground Irish music scene. With Donal’s long standing show “The Small Hours” now having come to end on Today FM, we are really excited about having him down to play for us and help see out what has been a year of massive change for us all.

Billy’s list of DJ residencies (The Temple of Sound, Sides, The Kitchen and The Ormond to name but just a few) read like a history of every club that mattered in Dublin.

While they may both have different musical leanings the one thing they do have in common is a passion for pushing new boundaries and introducing fresh and innovative sounding music to an always captive audience

Also on the night, the junior boys (by years but certainly not by experience) Jon Averil and Lil Dave will join Billy and Donal on the decks. Both Jon and Dave are regular faces to feature at Big Dish Go nights, but believe it or not this will Dave’s first gig with us, so we’re looking forward to him translating that groove from the floor he has often demonstrated and through the decks into our speakers. Jon made his name as a promoter and DJ through his involvement in seminal club nights such as Space Camp, Backlash, Shock and Nightflight.

That's the history but we're looking forward to a fantastic night with not one, but four DJs who always hit the mark. And with hordes spilling out of Primal Scream right about the time we open our doors we're expecting a big night at The Underground.

I'm not going to this now :(
    Slightly devastated but I did at least get to see them at FIB earlier this year so I guess it's not so bad.

It's going to be an amazing gig so have a feckin blast :D

I bought the Screamadelica making of DVD yesterday, great viewing! Can not wait for this.

Anyone know if the O2 has a coatroom yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Doors open 6.30pm. Is there a support act? Wondering what time to get there, would 8.00pm be ok?

Maverick and legendary artist, producer, performer and boss of the cult British label, On-U Sound Records, Adrian Sherwood, has been confirmed as special guest when Primal Scream recreate their critically acclaimed, groundbreaking masterpiece Screamadelica live at The O2 on December 29th.

For more than three decades, Adrian Sherwood has been quite probably Britain’s finest and most consistently ground-breaking producer. In the process, he has wrought his wizardly magic upon such internationally acclaimed artists as Blur, Nine Inch Nails, Sinead O’Connor, The Cure and Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, as well as coining countless mind-melting new sounds with legendary acts such as Tackhead and Mark Stewart, whose influence is ongoing and, to this day, omnipresent. Sherwood inspires audiences around the world with his one-of-a kind live performances of dub.

Never straying far from the cutting edge, Sherwood creates a unique style of live-dubbed dj sets. He delivers a powerful, bass-driven ominous mix of contemporary dub, and original roots, dance, dub and reggae sounds – processed into a live cacophony of reverb delays and FX.

As well as performing regularly in the club environment, Sherwood has been chosen as the special guest dj support for acts as diverse as Queens Of The Stone Age, Primal Scream and Blur. He has also appeared on festival bills such as Fuji Rock Festival, Bestival, The Big Chill, Glastonbury….

Still no info on times yet though which is rather annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

CiaranK wrote: »

Cristine? According to MDC Maverick is supporting:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Without trying to sound like I'm missing the point, where might be decent afterwards?

• Advertisement

F ucking MCD, the words piss up and brewery come to mind on this one. Are we getting stage times?

Advertisement