Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primal Scream O2 Dublin 29 December 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Cristine? According to MDC Maverick is supporting:confused:

I think they are implying Adrian Sherwood is a bit of Maverick?!

It's gonna be awesome, got to keep on keepin on:D

Without trying to sound like I'm missing the point, where might be decent afterwards?

Grand Social
    http://www.thegrandsocial.ie/event/primal-scream-aftershow-party-0
    Twisted Pepper
    http://m.bodytonicmusic.com/events/2577/
    Kennedys, Westland Row

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

Just to heads up people.

I went to Primal Scream in Cork [Savoy] during a Heineken Green Energy type of gig, was in 2008

And because of the intensity of the music I now am suffering from Tinitis in left ear, over three years later and forever.

I have lost the ability to hear bass tones/ sounds in that ear so am partially deaf.

You have been warned, they are loud and the hearing loss is permanent.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Nice one, cheers. I think it's between Grand Social and Workmans. Both are quite decent and cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

So a summary for people wondering how early to go in would be something like this:

Most of the current tour has just been the album and a 3 song encore.

In London at the start of this tour, around a year ago, they did a separate greatest hits set but that seems to have been a one-off.

The band are due on at 8.45pm, but that is just a rumour on a music website.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the O2 has a coatroom yet?

"Q: Is there Cloakroom Facilities?
    A: No, The O2 does not have a cloakroom."

- The Point

Apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Without trying to sound like I'm missing the point, where might be decent afterwards?
    Would like to know this myself, just in dublin now ready to head for a few scoops. Tonight should be good!

Just to heads up people.
    I went to Primal Scream in Cork [Savoy] during a Heineken Green Energy type of gig, was in 2008
    And because of the intensity of the music I now am suffering from Tinitis in left ear, over three years later and forever.
    I have lost the ability to hear bass tones/ sounds in that ear so am partially deaf.
    You have been warned, they are loud and the hearing loss is permanent.:eek:

Sorry to hear that, ouch.
    Funnily enough I saw this Scream tour in Hyeres (France) in August with about 2,000 French folk standing around with their fingers in their ears. Bobby was irate at their lack of dancing.
    For me, I'm deaf as a post so I say crank that sh!t up!

Sorry to hear that, ouch.
    Funnily enough I saw this Scream tour in Hyeres (France) in August with about 2,000 French folk standing around with their fingers in their ears. Bobby was irate at their lack of dancing.
    For me, I'm deaf as a post so I say crank that sh!t up!

:):):)

Just give ye the proverbial heads up - be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

There's a few of us thinking of heading out to this but we've no tickets. Seems like there are still plenty available so hoping to pick some up out there. Is there a ticket office at the O2? Never been to a gig there before so haven't a clue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Hidden away on the MCD Facebook page
    Doors 18.30
    Adrian Sherwood 19.30
    Primal Scream 20.45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Enjoyed it. Didn't really kick off until Loaded.
    Poor Bobby can't really hold a tune, never could I suppose, still, the concert gave me a new appreciation of one of the most groundbreaking albums of all time.

That was enjoyable. It's a bit gimicky though. And the crowd there tells a tale, 6,000 at a 14,500 venue...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

Its a bit gimicky fooook off.me and about 20 mates all loved the scream and the majority of the people were the best gig going fans you wanna spend ur night with just buzzing.scream team were top class surrounded with like minded people

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

was it empty ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Not very good at counting crowds but it was as low as I thought it would be anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

F ucking hell what a gig that was. Front row , nearly centre, and got a setlist off the legend at the mixing desk:) Is there a cooler human being alive than Mani?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I thought it was a really amazing gig as well. Tho I would agree that it was a bit subdued till Loaded kicked in. Everyone was sitting down before that :confused:

Re the crowd - it was very decent I thought. Tho of course the very upper tier of the seating was closed off.

@ScreamOfficial
    PrimalScream
    Dublin crowd as loud as ever... X

Anybody else still half deaf?:D

• Advertisement

Can't say I didn't tell you!!! :D

Hope you ain't half deaf for too long!!!
    @ScreamOfficial
    PrimalScream
    Dublin crowd as loud as ever... X

Anybody else still half deaf?:D

Can't say I didn't tell you!!! :D

Hope you ain't half deaf for too long!!!

Me too, I was pretty close to one of the speakers!:D

Me too, I was pretty close to one of the speakers!:D

And so was I in 2008 and as a result have Tinitus and Hearing loss in my left ear.

Ringing in your ear is a warning of damage to your ear so be careful.

If I had my time back I would have purchased and worn acoustic ear plugs that would reduce the intensity of the music at the concert and allow me to enjoy the concert.

In 2008 the sound was so loud you could physically feel the sound waves in your stomach!!!!

And so was I in 2008 and as a result have Tinitus and Hearing loss in my left ear.

Ringing in your ear is a warning of damage to your ear so be careful.

If I had my time back I would have purchased and worn acoustic ear plugs that would reduce the intensity of the music at the concert and allow me to enjoy the concert.

In 2008 the sound was so loud you could physically feel the sound waves in your stomach!!!!

Maybe though that had more to do with the venue than the band? I'm only saying maybe now, I don't really know anything about the subject

Maybe though that had more to do with the venue than the band? I'm only saying maybe now, I don't really know anything about the subject

True True the Savoy is a smaller venue and the volume should have been tailored for the venue.

I knew nothing about the subject until that night!!

Anyway Happy New Year and as Neil from the Young One's would say

"PEACE" :):):)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The band were on my sisters flight to Edinburgh earlier

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Edinburgh. I'm sure they are looking forward to New Years' Day at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Here's what I thought

Screamadelica remains one of my most cherished LPs and a worthy wearer of the "King of 1991" crown. The passing of 20 years has not diminished its impact although the Loveless love-in party will invariably disagree. The O2 seemed a rather incongrous venue for the Dublin leg of the tour - especially seeing as they failed to fill the old Point Depot on the Xtrmntr rollercoaster.

After an effective set from Adrian "Friendly As A Hand Grenade" Sherwood, Primal Scream took the stage at 9.00pm and immediately launched into Side 1 of the album. A soulful Movin' On Up was followed by a muddy and wayward Slip Inside This House before the hedonistic beats of Don't Fight It, Feel It lifted our feet and spirits. At that point expectations were confounded by a tinkering with the running order - i.e. an extended comedown section consisting of Damaged, I'm Comin' Down and Inner Flight. Blissful memories of 1991 - 1995 allnighters in various southside flats came flashing back at an alarming rate.

At this point you could sense the crowd beginning to drift so the bench began to shed its big hitters. Both versions of Higher Than The Sun followed in an elongated suite of narcotic melodies and blunted dub rhythms lasting nigh on 20 minutes. The Wild Angels dialogue ushering in Loaded brought forth an euphoric rush reminscent of Féile 1992 (Friday night in the rain) while Come Together was simply magnificent. It consisted of the best of both remixes - Farley and Weatherall - colliding in an almighty symphony of musical togetherness maaaan. Surprisingly Shine Like Stars did not follow.

After a brief wait we got treated to a four song encore. Swastika Eyes was relentless while Country Girl and Jailbird shone like twisted early 70s southern-fried jewels. That just left the swaggering Rocks to electrify the crowd and see us home in style.

Set list
    Movin' On Up
    Slip Inside This House
    Don't Fight It, Feel It
    Damaged
    I'm Comin' Down
    Inner Flight
    Higher Than The Sun
    Higher Than The Sun (A Dub Symphony In Two Parts)
    Loaded
    Come Together

Swastika Eyes
    Country Girl
    Jailbird
    Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

great gig!

20 mins of higher than the sun was mind blowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

I'll be honest. I thought it was absolute sh1te and Bobby Gillespie is as talentless as he is irritating.

Advertisement