Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counting Crows

Options
  • 11-10-2011 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys

Just saw a thread about JJ72 (class band too ) and it just made wonder about one of my old favorite bands -counting crows- i never hear of them now :( and i would have loved to have seen them in concert-Does anyone know anythin about them ? Will they be doing concerts over here anytime soon ? Are they still together ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've seen them a couple of times, they're very good live. It used to seem like they were forever playing in Ireland, well in Dublin anyway. They're still going as far as i know, i'm sure it won't be long before they're back here. Unfortunately however i think their best days are behind them, it's been a long time since i heard a good song from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_crows#Departure_from_Geffen

Seriously, am I the only one who can use a search engine?

Oh yeah, another thing - less tap water. Them's my lessons. Wikipedia and less tap water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Benjokota

I've seen them a couple of times, they're very good live. It used to seem like they were forever playing in Ireland, well in Dublin anyway. They're still going as far as i know, i'm sure it won't be long before they're back here. Unfortunately however i think their best days are behind them, it's been a long time since i heard a good song from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Benjokota

viadah wrote: »

Oh yeah, another thing - less tap water. Them's my lessons. Wikipedia and less tap water.

Yes you must be tho I wouldnt quite quote anything from wiki-each to their own :) thanks for tip on tap water :)

It's good to talk. No?
    Anyway, I like tap water:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They released a live dvd of them performing August and Everything After recently. It's a good watch. Whatever about them not having any hits in ages, pretty good live band......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

These guys went off the boil very early on. I'm pretty sure they released a double live album after only two studio albums which is a bit cheeky in fairness. But they were on the wane even at that stage. They had a couple of well crafted pop songs and fair play to them, but then they overplayed that hand big time.

Remember that single they had called Hanginaround? It was God awful! And their mangling of Big Yellow Taxi was unforgivable. The lead singer got too big for his boots very fast too, which made tolerating their deteriorating output even more difficult. He'd turned into a fat dredlocked mess by the time they finally drifted off the pop music radar (and ended their run of what seemed to be annual Irish concerts).

If they'd just packed it in after those first two albums they'd still be a highly regarded band. But they outstayed their welcome by about three albums / a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

imo, still think there a great band. obviously they couldn't sustain the heights of there first album, which was a huge record, but there honed there song writing skills and released consistantly strong records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

i'm sure it won't be long before they're back here. Unfortunately however i think their best days are behind them, it's been a long time since i heard a good song from them.

Its actually too soon to say that. Counting Crows were at their best in 2004 when they released Accidently In Love and they've only released two further singles since that song. I'm sure if we give them a chance with their new album there will be some good new material coming.

But the wikipedia article has nothing about their future tour plans and album plans, which is what the OP is looking for.

I too would like to see them in concert, last time (which I couldn't get tickets for:() was the O2 in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

These guys went off the boil very early on. I'm pretty sure they released a double live album after only two studio albums which is a bit cheeky in fairness. But they were on the wane even at that stage. They had a couple of well crafted pop songs and fair play to them, but then they overplayed that hand big time.

Remember that single they had called Hanginaround? It was God awful! And their mangling of Big Yellow Taxi was unforgivable. The lead singer got too big for his boots very fast too, which made tolerating their deteriorating output even more difficult. He'd turned into a fat dredlocked mess by the time they finally drifted off the pop music radar (and ended their run of what seemed to be annual Irish concerts).

If they'd just packed it in after those first two albums they'd still be a highly regarded band. But they outstayed their welcome by about three albums / a decade.

..................according to yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Mr Jones came on the radio the other day and I said to one of my workmates that I hadn't heard this song in ages. Then she said that she had never heard the song before!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

They still are making some cracking songs even up to their latest album 'Saturday Night, Sunday Mornings'.
    Maybe not as lyrical deep or profound as they used to be but still some very good songs.
    Check out '1492', 'Hanging Tree', 'Insignificant' and the slower 'Washington Square' is a fave of mine off it.

Plus just for 'Baby I'm a big star now' I love them! -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5Dpmey6dU

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I always imagine him hugging himself while singing 'Colorblind', in a darkened vocal booth lit by a solitary essence of jasmine candle, thinking of ponies. When the track ends the engineer waits a minute while Adam blows out the candle, then rolls his eyes and mutters into the talkback 'Are you ok?'

A solitary sniff.....

Followed by a world weary sigh.....

'No.....why the **** am I singing about eggs?'

karaokeman wrote: »
    Its actually too soon to say that. Counting Crows were at their best in 2004 when they released Accidently In Love and they've only released two further singles since that song. I'm sure if we give them a chance with their new album there will be some good new material coming.

Wow, i didn't realise it was that long ago!
    Personally i think they peaked well before that, maybe not live but as far as studio albums go it was pretty much all downhill from an admittedly brilliant start. August and everything after remains one of my favourite albums to this day, consistently brilliant in my opinion. They're very hit and miss after that though.
    Shít....i'm getting old!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Didn't they support STereophonics at Slane? anyone have their setlist from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

thesultan wrote: »
    Didn't they support STereophonics at Slane? anyone have their setlist from it?
    i was at that, they played a piano version of oasis's live forever which was great. dont remember the setlist unfortunately. saw them play wit cranberries in tralee a number of years back also

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭drumslate

I've recently only got into these guys. I thinking they are fantastic. Absolute brilliant cover of Big Yellow Taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,891 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adam Duritz has a great voice

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

August and Everything after is a beautiful song.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 ballyturtles

My favorite is Holiday In Spain

• Advertisement

My favorite is Holiday In Spain

Was only listening to that last night - i love that song. Always reminds me, oddly enough, of a holiday in greece!

They do a cover of a grateful dead song, Friend of the devil - it's way better than the original, i think either that or round here would be my fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

UK tour dates announced for April (no Dublin date yet)!

http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/counting-crows-tickets?s_kwcid=TC|13337|counting%20crows||S|e|29800504308

Saw them live back in 2003, Gemma Hayes opened for them and joined them onstage later for 'Hanginaround'.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

could be pursued to go to England just to see them!

Advertisement