Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to achieve a B1 in English?

• 11-10-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I need a B1 in english higher for a course I want to do , which is in england.
    They said I need to get 4 B1s . So I really need a B1 in this.
    I'm only taking up the honours english this year as I got a B3 in ordinary.
    I'm going to work extremely hard to get this.

For Hamlet , I've read the script myself and the teacher is going through it now except hes going extremely slow and we haven't answered a single question on it.
    What types of questions should I be able to answer?
    What sort of quotes should I be looking for?
    and the questions about tragedy?

Poetry: Do I need to know about the poets life and what inspired them to write the poem? I have the poetry book for this year I could start going through them.

Then the comparative I'm going to use my comparatives from last year except use my main text from ordinary as one of the comparative as my other isn't on the course this year.
    I'm not used to answer these in theme or issue, literary genre, general vision and viewpoint.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 iwillarise

The best advice i could give you is to not sell yourself short. Go for an A1, no matter what your standard of English. Work your ass off for it and even if you don't succeed, that effort will reap rewards in other aspects of your life. I knew so many people who had 'blinkers' on when it came to achieving a certain grade for the leaving. They accepted mediocrity in the process because that's all that was necessary. Needless to say, the majority didn't accomplish the grade 'required' because their mindset was flawed from the outset. As Les Brown said: 'shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars' :)

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I will aim high, for a A, I might just focus on Hamlet for now getting the essays written for the themes and an essay on the main characters.
    Isit just the theme of appearance vs reality and revenge?
    would death be a theme?
    Just wondering I've not got any notes written about Hamlet as most people have done it before . I've done lots of research to get some notes.

What kind of things would I put into the essay for writing on the characters?
    I'm not quite sure where to start with poetry :S I want to try and look over some them before we do them in class .

I'll practise paper 1 too , and writing the essays , speech etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I will aim high, for a A, I might just focus on Hamlet for now getting the essays written for the themes and an essay on the main characters.
    Isit just the theme of appearance vs reality and revenge?
    would death be a theme?
    Just wondering I've not got any notes written about Hamlet as most people have done it before . I've done lots of research to get some notes.

What kind of things would I put into the essay for writing on the characters?
    I'm not quite sure where to start with poetry :S I want to try and look over some them before we do them in class .

I'll practise paper 1 too , and writing the essays , speech etc.

There are a *lot* more themes in Hamlet than just those 3! Death is definitely one of the main themes.
    Love, Corruption/Politics, Role of Women, Madness, Loyalty/Betrayal to name a few more. Revenge is unlikely to come up again as it was on the 2011 exam. You should still know it though, as it will be useful to incorporate it into other answers. Good luck!

Advertisement