Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting a Leaving Cert. exam a year early

Options
  • 11-10-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I recently heard that it's possible to sit the LC French exam in 5th year rather than waiting til 6th year. Some people take French along side their other subjects only beacause they need it as an entry requirement so I suppose it makes some sense. Does anyone know if it's true that you can do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

BadAngel wrote: »
    I recently heard that it's possible to sit the LC French exam in 5th year rather than waiting til 6th year. Some people take French along side their other subjects only beacause they need it as an entry requirement so I suppose it makes some sense. Does anyone know if it's true that you can do this?

Are you sure it wasn't an LCA student who did this?

I'm not certain, but I think that for the regular LC, you are required to have completed two years of senior cycle education, not counting TY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I've heard of people repeating 5th Year and doing this... Maybe that's the only way it can be done, because if you did that you would have completed two senior cycle years, otherwise it's probably not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm not certain, but I think that for the regular LC, you are required to have completed two years of senior cycle education, not counting TY.

no you aren't. Or at least they don't seem to check...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i could be wrong but i think it is possible, you could get ol french done in a year no problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would also make a subsequent LC a repeat sitting and more costly.

LCA students do one of their language exams at the end of 5th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

spurious wrote: »
    It would also make a subsequent LC a repeat sitting and more costly.

LCA students do one of their language exams at the end of 5th year.

Yup, thats usually the Irish though and the foreign language is the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you can
    then its repeat fees for the next year
    it works to get nessiciary subjects out of the way

i think the fee is around 130 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

But for Medicine Denistry etc you need to sit all the required subjects in the one sitting, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I remember reading at some point that the rule is you must have 2 years between your junior cert and your leaving cert, meaning if you had done TY you could do it, if you hadn't and had just gone straight into fifth year you couldn't. I definitely know of grind schools encouraging people to get Irish out of the way in this manner.

This was years ago. Rules could have changed. Check.

• Advertisement

But for Medicine Denistry etc you need to sit all the required subjects in the one sitting, I believe.

For medicine yes. But i dont think so for dentistry

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

Does anyone know where I could get more information on this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Maybe talk to you're French teacher or ask one of the French teachers in your school about it. :)

email sec?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Sunny!! wrote: »
    For medicine yes. But i dont think so for dentistry

Yeah that's only for medicine.

Advertisement