Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Bus Station

Options
  • 11-10-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Is there any where near to the bus station in letterkenny where I can park my car all day, somewhere fairly safe would be good too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Technique wrote: »
    Aldi?

Is it ok to park there all day or maybe over night too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 marie82

You can park behind An Granian Theatre for free

marie82 wrote: »
    You can park behind An Granian Theatre for free
    Ok

What about here, is this pay and display or free parking?

Its free. I've parked there a few times when I've travelled to Dublin including over night. Don't park on the main street. Park up behind the theatre. Its only a few min walk to the bus station from there.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the picture you attached. I'm not sure if you have to pay there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Aldi will put 'Illegally parked' stickers on your car if its there all day (like they do when students from the IT park there)

As suggested, behind the theatre is best bet as its free. I'm not sure about the spots in beside Gleneany house but if there are no signs and no machine for tickets then i'd imagine you'd be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Is behind the theatre safe? There is no lighting and could be a haven for a scummy drinking den

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I go to lyit, and ive parked in that place in the picture a few times through the day, there is no pay and display there, as far as i know it is free parking. Only thing is some days you might get a few parking spaces there but other days there will be none.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mugbags

salonfire wrote: »
    Is behind the theatre safe? There is no lighting and could be a haven for a scummy drinking den

Don't go there! my friend's car was broken into in this carpark in daylight! window was smashed and camera and other bitsnpieces stolen from glovebox :(

• Advertisement

I go to lyit, and ive parked in that place in the picture a few times through the day, there is no pay and display there, as far as i know it is free parking. Only thing is some days you might get a few parking spaces there but other days there will be none.

Can confirm that parking outside Gleneely House is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi All,

I have to get a bus from LK tomorrow so planning to leave my car near the bus station until Wednesday night when I return. I think they clamp in LK shopping centre carpark? Could anyone suggest cheap (or free!) carparking nearby?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm not sure TBH, your best bet is more than likely the Hotel at Dillons hotel which is 24hrs but you have to pay.

The thing is the words secure & free don't usually go well together. You could get lucky and get a spot outside the old gleneny house (either the front or the side) and park there for the day but its not secure in any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

McGinleys multi-story used to be free, not sure if it still is or if its overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll merge this with a similar thread from a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Harps wrote: »
    McGinleys multi-story used to be free, not sure if it still is or if its overnight?

It is no longer free.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

This is in the news today:

The Mayor of Letterkenny has expressed his shock that Bus Éireann has never approached the owners of the Letterkenny Shopping Centre with a view to securing its customers parking.

Despite the bus station in Letterkenny being one of the 5th busiest in the country, there is no parking available for its customers.

A meeting is no to be arranged between Bus Éireann and the adjacent shopping centre oweners with a view to securing bus passenger parking spaces.

Mayor Gerry McMonagle, who has agreed to arrange the meeting, says he is amazed this has not happened before:

The move comes after a deputation fromBus Éireann attended a council meeting to answer councillor questions.

The delegation enquired if the council would support a park and ride facility for the bus station – they were told that this was not in the council’s plans.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2012/03/06/bus-eireann-admits-it-has-done-little-to-secure-customer-parking-in-letterkenny/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

cosanostra wrote: »
    A meeting is no to be arranged between Bus Éireann and the adjacent shopping centre oweners with a view to securing bus passenger parking spaces.

Mayor Gerry McMonagle, who has agreed to arrange the meeting, says he is amazed this has not happened before:

Given the standoff that occured between the operators of this car park and the workers in the shopping centre, why would they allow bus passengers to park there?
    If they did allocate parking spaces to Bus Eireann I presume there would be a charge.
    Ulsterbus provide a free park and ride in Strabane but if you park there rather than getting the bus in Lifford, where there is no safe parking, you cannot get the cheaper day return ticket to Dublin and have to buy the monthly return for your 'international' journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

There is an apartment block called Highfield House behind Mr Chippy. They have a car park which should be safe as apartments overlook both front and back and the residents would just assume that you were staying with someone there.

Advertisement