Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Recommendation

Options
  • 11-10-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, i'm sure ye get alot of threads in here like this so i hope you don't mind taking a minute here:)
    • What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    Hmmm, a decent battery and memory for storing videos etc and i'd like to get a phone with decent internet in it, where i can get on facebook and pp easily and without waiting half an hour to do so.
    • Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    Not to worried about this really.
    • Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    Yes, i would like a phone with decent internet capabilities.
    • Operator - have you an operator preference
    I'm with Vodafone and would prefer to stay with them.
    • Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    Pre Pay
    • Price range
    €200. €300 max. Not sure if you can get a phone like above for that money. Ideally i'd like to get the iPhone but couldn't justify spending €600+ and don't use it enough to justify bill pay.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Pretty much everything matches your requirements. Care to narrow it down a bit more? big vs small? android vs other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

srsly78 wrote: »
    Pretty much everything matches your requirements. Care to narrow it down a bit more? big vs small? android vs other?
    Not big but not small either. I'd like a relatively big screen though. The big thing really is i want instant internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Degag wrote: »
    Not big but not small either. I'd like a relatively big screen though. The big thing really is i want instant internet.

Why do u need really fast internet? I mean most phones today are quick for browsing. Weather its WP7, iOS or Android.

LG Optimus 7 above probably would be your best choice. Alot of phone for around 200 quid. It used to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What about a BlackBerry. It's great for social media and posting on twitter and facebook is a joy. Full physical keyboard. Great for email etc...

Starting from 120 on vodafone. They compress data so use less then other smart phones.

• Advertisement

Why do u need really fast internet? I mean most phones today are quick for browsing. Weather its WP7, iOS or Android.

LG Optimus 7 above probably would be your best choice. Alot of phone for around 200 quid. It used to be cheaper.
    It's not that i need really fast internet, it's just that in any phone i've had, the internet is terrible.
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    What about a BlackBerry. It's great for social media and posting on twitter and facebook is a joy. Full physical keyboard. Great for email etc...

Starting from 120 on vodafone. They compress data so use less then other smart phones.
    Sounds good cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I really don't think a blackberry is a good choice. Imo you should go for the lg optimus 7 which I linked above. No contracts and your getting a decent phone.
    Also you could move to 3 and get unlimited data for 30per month

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

wait a little longer, going to be a busy period for new releases so lots of good phones which are out of your price range will be in it.
    considering your needs aren't too specific i'd go into phone shops and play test them. don't feel guilty if your not buying it. have a go at your friends phones etc and you'll see what you like. the wp7 phones at the moment don't have a great battery, but most smartphones now don't anyway so expect a nightly charge.
    be aware of the build quality as some can be pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

smegheadz wrote: »
    wait a little longer, going to be a busy period for new releases so lots of good phones which are out of your price range will be in it.
    considering your needs aren't too specific i'd go into phone shops and play test them. don't feel guilty if your not buying it. have a go at your friends phones etc and you'll see what you like. the wp7 phones at the moment don't have a great battery, but most smartphones now don't anyway so expect a nightly charge.
    be aware of the build quality as some can be pretty bad.

Who said WP7 dont have a great battery life. Battery life in alot of reviews are usually praised!

My Omnia 7 lasts alot longer than any other phone i had before. My HD2 could barely last 12 hours running android

Hey guys, i've been thinking about it and pretty much decided to go with the Galaxy2. Has got some great reviews. Thing is i don't want to pay nearly 500 quid for it so am considering changing to bill pay. I usually top up by €20 a month so paying €30 a month isn't a massive difference. Thing is, i'll probably use the internet relatively often, and i'm worried that if i go over the 500mb threshold i'll be charged alot. This is probably a silly question, but how long much use should you get with 500mb if you are only using it for general browsing, facebook, pp, sky sports etc? I don't really make alot of calls to landlines, and most of my friends are vodafone too so i shouldn't buid up too many charges for calls and texts to non vf phones, so really i think its the internet that i'm most worried about. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I tend to use between 200 and 400 mb per month. That would cover emails, facebook, general browsing and the occasional you tube video. However if you are without a fixed line for any period that can skyrocket.

Having 1GB is a safety net and its nice not to have to worry about going over.

It's hard to say for sure but in my mind 500MBS of data with a Samsung galaxy S2 isn't much unless you plan to stick primarily to wifi signal where possible and not do any tethering and not watch too many Youtube videos.

You should look around at other operators. Get free pre pay Sims off them and test out the signal where you live work and play. You want to see good 3G signal for mobile internet.

Advertisement