Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to live in Castlebar or Westport

Options
  • 11-10-2011 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just wondering if there are any particular areas that are good to live in, in either town, preferably in walking distance of the town centre? Are there any areas to avoid also?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Castlebar is a good bit cheaper than westport. Gladesville/Aglish area is grand to live in, about a 10/15minute walk to town. The Grove is nice too and a fair bit closer to town.

Have two mates living in Harbour Mills at the quays in Westport, its 65 a week, the flats are really nice but a lot of them get rented out to hens and stags at the weekends so noise might be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

In Castlebar, one place to avoid would be Meadow Park on the Westport Road. 2 people i know moved in there and they werent long moving out again. If you want reasons PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Samhain wrote: »
    In Castlebar, one place to avoid would be Meadow Park on the Westport Road. 2 people i know moved in there and they werent long moving out again. If you want reasons PM me.

i can guess the reason. manor village beside it is not a bad estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kittyoshea

Thanks for the replies! Might just pm you Samhain, sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Samhain wrote: »

And you can lay the blame squarely on Mayo Co Co for that situation, with their sneaky integration policy:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

And you can lay the blame squarely on Mayo Co Co for that situation, with their sneaky integration policy:mad::mad::mad:

surely the landlord has some say if he wants his house back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The Co Co have bought up those houses.:rolleyes:

The Co Co have bought up those houses.:rolleyes:

thats very harsh on the other residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DEXTERITY

Westport, is much cleaner and generally more pleasant than Castlebar. But that also means that rent is higher in Westport.

Good is rather vague, if it is the proximity of shops and services then Castlebar is better.
    If it is the neighbourhoods and people etc Westport is probably better...

Perhaps choose areas and members would be able to describe the general demographic but I wouldnt deem there to be major discrepancies in the areas in Westport anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kittyoshea

I should probably mention that I would be working in Castlebar, I also don't drive so living in Westport would mean having to rely on public transport. Castlebar it is then!

By good I meant quiet and safe :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement