Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued a mouse, need help

• 11-10-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi saved what looks like a baby mouse from a dog today,
    have him at home in a box trying to work out what to do with him/her,
    first of all theres something wrong with it, its lying on side an it looks like to be retching as if its choking, i had given it some crunched up biscuits, so it might be that dunno what to do with him dont wont to hurt him anymore!

trying to post a picture from my computer but it only allows web links?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

kujosHeist wrote: »
    Hi saved what looks like a baby mouse from a dog today,
    have him at home in a box trying to work out what to do with him/her,
    first of all theres something wrong with it, its lying on side an it looks like to be retching as if its choking, i had given it some crunched up biscuits, so it might be that dunno what to do with him dont wont to hurt him anymore!

trying to post a picture from my computer but it only allows web links?

You could set up a quick account with image shack and then post the pics. In the meantime I would soak the biscuit in water and mash it up or even better give it a bit of cheese or tomato. Fair play for looking after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Leave it under some hedges or somewhere sheltered I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Chances of it surviving are slim enough if it's a baby. I expect it can only digest milk or a mousemilk substitute. Best ask on the pet forum and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

img1494vq.jpg

I wouldnt say its a baby but definatly isnt fully grown, its kinda rolling around the box now looks in pain :( , i had broken off a bit of a ciabatta earlier on a given it to him, also some cheese, is it possible the bread expanded?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Ah I wouldn't say so. It's probably in pain from the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

You could feed the cat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You could feed the cat :)

Not actually as bad as it might sound. If it is a House Mouse, it's vermin and is best disposed of. I hasten to add that I'm an animal lover, but these fellas are germ ridden and leave trail of piss everywhere, and you should use gloves and scrub/disinfect your hands big time.

If it's a Field Mouse or something even more interesting like a shrew, that's a different story. Only a photo will be good enough for giving an ID.

tricky D wrote: »
    Not actually as bad as it might sound. If it is a House Mouse, it's vermin and is best disposed of. I hasten to add that I'm an animal lover, but these fellas are germ ridden and leave trail of piss everywhere, and you should use gloves and scrub/disinfect your hands big time.

If it's a Field Mouse or something even more interesting like a shrew, that's a different story. Only a photo will be good enough for giving an ID.

Well either way it might be best to put it out of its misery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well either way it might be best to put it out of its misery!

I say, just let nature do its thing. If it dies, it had to die. It's nice of you to be willing to take care of it tho.
    My sister raised a ground squirrel since it was very, very young- hadn´t even opened its eyes. She used a kind of special milk they sell for kittens in pet stores. Maybe you can try that?

(PS- Raising ground squirrels as pets? NOT a good idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

WHen did the wretching start?? like could it be an injury from the dog?? could have internal injuries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What kind of dog do you have? Something with a high prey drive is likely to have done a fair bit of damage. Either way I'd say that the mouse is probably badly injured, and it may be kindest to euthanise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

it was a labrador dog, fully grown! fraid the mouse passed away lads not long after my last post, poor little devil, i gave him a viking burial tho!

kujosHeist wrote: »
    it was a labrador dog, fully grown! fraid the mouse passed away lads not long after my last post, poor little devil, i gave him a viking burial tho!

Fair play for your intent kujoheist!

Advertisement