Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good farrier for remedial work ?

Options
  • 11-10-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

My horse has a sandcrack that has gone right up to the coronary band despite him being shod, we've replaced the shoes on him several times but the crack isn't growing out.
    Any recommendations/advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I have found Cornucresine hoof ointment to be brilliant for sandcracks - or crumbling dry hooves etc.

I use latex gloves to put it on as its impossible to get off your hands. Rub it well into the coronary band and all over the hoof to strengthen the hoof wall and excellerate growth. I would use it every day until the hoof starts to grow out and believe me it will with this product, its great stuff. I would recommend the one that comes in the tub (not with the brush) as its the best, I use the other one (with the brush) as a hoof oil for shows etc.

I know I sound like a rep (I'm not) but I swear by this stuff, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Tatoo,

You should say what county your in as many people may recommend a good farrier including myself but I know the guy we use and recommend in the shop doesnt travel outside the county!

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

+ 1 on the cornucrescine. I used it on the coronary band to accelerate growth, but I also shoved farriers formula in at the front end to make sure that the new hoof growth was top quality.

This, and a decent farrier who actually dug out a section of the hoof almost at the coronary band (which seemed strange at the time) worked for my horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Just remember that you should always check with your vet and/or farrier before using new products to aid your horse's healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Hi there, I have a similar problem with my horse. Over a year ago he suffered an over reach injury which went through the coronary band. I have had remedial work done but the crack is still there and is not growing out yet.

It is much better than it was but I had hoped that it would have grown out by now. I think the estimate is one year to grow a hoof from coronary to ground.

It is worth a try though as the hoof could have been much worse if I hadn't had the work done.

I also feed seaweed which seems to help his hoof growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Thanks for the replies,
    we had the hoof stapled across the crack for the last four months or so and were applying cornucrescine to the band and crack every day, to no avail.
    I'm in the Munster area and decided to try a different farrier/approach, the previous man was doing nothing wrong but I felt a different plan was needed.
    The guy who was recommended to me scraped the crack back massively almost to the foot and filled the resulting gap with a quick-hardening glassy type filler from a tube, to adhere both sides of the foot to each other and cut out any independent movement of the sides of the foot.
    We are keeping her indoors in order to prevent dirt etc making its way in behind the sealant and are continuing to give her a biotin supplement in her feed.
    Fingers are crossed ad we're hoping that it will start to grow down.

Advertisement