Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Jack Russel

• 11-10-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I have a 9 week old JR and she is eating very little. We are leaving her fooddown for her (I know bad idea) I very used to hungry big dogs and this little madam is eating tiny amounts. my child gave her some plain pasta which she loved...is this very bad? her poo's are normal. She is thriving and runsarond like a mad thing :rolleyes: am I worrying about nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

A 9 week old jrt puppy would have a teeny weeny tummy :)Dont get her too used to hand feeding or youll be doing it all the time hehehe x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Justask wrote: »
    I have a 9 week old JR and she is eating very little. We are leaving her fooddown for her (I know bad idea) I very used to hungry big dogs and this little madam is eating tiny amounts. my child gave her some plain pasta which she loved...is this very bad? her poo's are normal. She is thriving and runsarond like a mad thing :rolleyes: am I worrying about nothing?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Wouldn't be giving her scraps, dirty habit to be giving her as she will learn that if she doesn't eat her own food she will get fed lovely human food and also it's not great for her. What kind of food are you giving, is it canned or nuts and what brand. Also what was she being fed before you got her?

Congrats on your new arrival:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Wouldn't be giving her scraps, dirty habit to be giving her as she will learn that if she doesn't eat her own food she will get fed lovely human food and also it's not great for her. What kind of food are you giving, is it canned or nuts and what brand. Also what was she being fed before you got her?

Congrats on your new arrival:D

Shes on royal canin, i've tried the soaking it no she doesnt like that at all, she was on red mills when I got her she doesnt like that. Fussy little b1tch :rolleyes:

No point in sayingno to spoil her its already done :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

You are probably as well letting her eat little and often for now. I have two Jacks and while in theory I aim for two meals a day I find they prefer to graze. They eat very little all told. One measuring cup of dog food is all they get through per day between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Justask wrote: »
    Shes on royal canin, i've tried the soaking it no she doesnt like that at all, she was on red mills when I got her she doesnt like that. Fussy little b1tch :rolleyes:

No point in sayingno to spoil her its already done :eek:

Aha, I'd say you could feed her a roast dinner and as long as you weren't eating it she wouldn't want it. It's hard not to spoil them at any age, but especially when they are that small, cuddly and cute. I'd say just relax and go with the flow and enjoy the puppyness:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

ahem pics please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I have a Jack russel who will be two in april & had the same problem, she was so skinny! I have her on red mills Adult right now. Shes a fussy cow too but I found if I get a chicken oxo cube (she hated the beef one) and poor it over the nuts she will eat it all straight away, might work for your one too :) .. that and another trick was putting a tiny amount of grated cheese and mixing it in the nuts, I know you shouldn't put cheese in their food but anything to get them to eat something :rolleyes:

Was at the vet today getting her last shots and the vet put a bit of Burns on the counter to distract her. She wolfed them down, you would swear she was never fed... So I thought great she loves that I will buy some and yes you guessed it she wont eat it at home... little b1tch :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Jacks really do like to try your patience any way they can :D

My girl was a bit fussy as a pup and even now will regularly miss meals but I just persist with putting food down, leave for 5 minutes and whatever isn't eaten is picked up and given with next meal. There is no way a healthy dog will starve themselves :)

The only time I can ever be 100% sure she'll eat is after at least 2/3 hours of agility training, apart from then she really isn't particularly interested in food.

So long as your pup is happy, lively, eating even small amounts and drinking I don't think there is any cause for concern.

Any new pics? I just adore baby Jacks :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

imokyrok wrote: »
    You are probably as well letting her eat little and often for now. I have two Jacks and while in theory I aim for two meals a day I find they prefer to graze. They eat very little all told. One measuring cup of dog food is all they get through per day between them.

Same with my JRT. We used to leave the food down twice a day and she was eating nothing.

I think she just cannot handle more than a few mouthfulls at a time. Actually sometimes if she eats too much she ends up throwing it up.

The only way to get her to eat "properly" is to leave the food out so she can graze a tiny bit at a time.

Advertisement