Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The food in the Main Restaurant

• 11-10-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people complain about it, but when I was was at UCC, I thought it was very good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

So far this year its been pretty good i think..there soup can be a bit dodge though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It's not bad, a massive rip off though. Definitely not worth 5 euros for what is effectively 4 spoons of food. It would be a good use for the SU if they were to campaign for a reduction in these prices, or an increase in the portion sizes at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

TBH, you really can't beat the 3 euro sausage chips/mash and beans... :)

awh yum that sounds unreal, do they serve that all day?? oh nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

During the days leading up to payday when I was scraping the pennies, the 3 euro sausage, mash and gravy got me through the hunger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭heliocentrist

Kiwi's still decent price-wise, and the quality of food is better IMO.

A girl I know who worked there told me it's after getting fierce quiet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pkelly1

The Main Rest: good from afar but far from good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Just got food in the Western Gate. It was fairly decent and the price was outstanding. €4 for soup, a bread roll and spag ball. I'm stuffed.

I got a addicted to the New Bars soup for a good bit last year!Twas quality stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Dave1711 wrote: »
    I got a addicted to the New Bars soup for a good bit last year!Twas quality stuff!

I'm currently hooked on this! A hefty bowl of soup and a roll for 2.80..savage!

• Advertisement

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I'm currently hooked on this! A hefty bowl of soup and a roll for 2.80..savage!

Its pretty savage alright..last time i was up there they didn't have there sandwich deal at all..soup and sandwich for about €4 was top class

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Its pretty savage alright..last time i was up there they didn't have there sandwich deal at all..soup and sandwich for about €4 was top class

awh i miss this one

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

The main problem with the food and value is that they just fill up the portions with starchy carbs or chips. White rice is just rice with all the goodness stripped away. It will fill you up and make you feel bloated and then very tired. Not much good if you need to concentrate after lunch. The same goes for the potatoes and pasta they serve and everyone knows chips are not healthy. A simple change to brown rice, wholewheat pasta and sweet potatoes would change the meals completely. They would be healthier and not make you feel slow, tired, bloated and would fill you for longer as they are low GI hence you will save money by not having to eat again as soon as the high GI options.

There us lots of research to prove everything I've said above. Check it out online. I'll put up some links later. I suggested all this to the student union last year but they showed no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Ya but generally people don't like that rubbish, so it won't sell. The option to have a brown roll instead of a white one would be good though...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

love the vegetable soup in the main rest, was addicted last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

raah! wrote: »
    It would be a good use for the SU if they were to campaign for a reduction in these prices, or an increase in the portion sizes at least.

:D:D:rolleyes:

I'm round UCC long enough to remember that staple in SU elections - most candidates would promise to tackle Campbell's over the price of their coffee...................yet when they get their own cafe they charge MORE than the main. :rolleyes:

GSOIRL wrote: »
    The main problem with the food and value is that they just fill up the portions with starchy carbs or chips. White rice is just rice with all the goodness stripped away. It will fill you up and make you feel bloated and then very tired. Not much good if you need to concentrate after lunch. The same goes for the potatoes and pasta they serve and everyone knows chips are not healthy. A simple change to brown rice, wholewheat pasta and sweet potatoes would change the meals completely. They would be healthier and not make you feel slow, tired, bloated and would fill you for longer as they are low GI hence you will save money by not having to eat again as soon as the high GI options.

There us lots of research to prove everything I've said above. Check it out online. I'll put up some links later. I suggested all this to the student union last year but they showed no interest.

I don't eat at the Main Rest and certainly don't agree with what it serves. But can you name the goodness that is in brown rice? Just cos it's 'brown' rice and 'brown' pasta doesn't mean it's good for you. They are just as bad as white rice and normal pasta, all you are getting is a bit more fiber. Some research suggests that brown rice is worse than white rice, blocks the absorption of more nutrients that white rice does or something.

If you're going to indulge in rice I wouldn't fret over it being white or brown!

Love the sweet potatoes option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

:D:D:rolleyes:

I'm round UCC long enough to remember that staple in SU elections - most candidates would promise to tackle Campbell's over the price of their coffee...................yet when they get their own cafe they charge MORE than the main. :rolleyes:
    It would be a good use for them if they to do that, I'm not saying it's likely that they would. I think the SU should be disbanded. I'll not be rolleyesed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I love the food in there from the porridge (cant wait for the morning), the soup and the dinners..All nice. The roll/sandwiches/wraps in there are nice too. Couple of things though. Most of the staff are nice, esp the hot looking ones. 1 or 2 though not so nice. Also, esp with the cost of college so expensive its a joke that you have to pay for every small thing. Have to choose between carrots or peas or pay extra for another scoop of potatoes. Also one day I got porridge and put a drop of milk into one of the coffee/tea plastic cups..Filled it up about 1/4 of the cup before being told I had to pay 25 cent for the price of the cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The best thing in the main are the scones they have in the morning. I'd always try and make it in for a proper coffee and a scone, lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement