Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog acting weird

• 11-10-2011 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I have a old crossbred Labrador and she's been acting weird lately.

Randomly she will drop to the ground and start gnawing at her leg/tail.

She isn't going into her bed to sleep early either, normally she does. Her house is a little shed out the back which is kept clean.

I'd assume she might have fleas or such? She is rarely if ever in contact with other dogs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

nuxxx wrote: »

She isn't going into her bed to sleep early either, normally she does. Her house is a little shed out the back which is kept clean.

I'd assume she might have fleas or such? She is rarely if ever in contact with other dogs.

Thanks

Could be mites. You can get a spot on treatment from the vet to treat all possible fleas, mites etc. It should sort it out. Sometimes with older dogs they need treatment regurally even as much as once per month. Thats what I was told with an old dog I had that developed a tendency to mites. As soon as she'd start scratching at herself I'd treat her again.

You might be as well asking the vet to see her first time to confirm that's the problem but after that you can just do in and buy it over the counter from the receptionist for about a tenner a go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When an old dog has a sudden change in usual routine or behaviour, it is really important to get her to a vet for a full check up. Nobody here can tell you what's wrong with your dog, and the fact that she's old just adds to the number of potential diagnoses a vet might make.
    It could be fleas (dogs most certainly don't need to be in contact with other dogs to get fleas), it could be mites, it could be arthritis, it could be spondylosis, it could be hip dysplasia, it could be impacted anal glands, it could be early stage canine cognitive dementia, it could be some other neurological problem... Do you see my point? There are so many things it could be, all of which can make a dog do what your dog is doing!
    To the vet with her! I hope it's something trivial, but you need to find out for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

nuxxx wrote: »
    How old is "old" nuxx? Old for Lab is 10+
    wrote:
    Has she been wormed recently/regularly? The same with flea treatment? If ya cant remember or dont know, thats ok, dont feel like you cant say "its been awhile!";) Is shes scratching,head tilting, off her food, pooing,peeing more than normal?
    wrote:

Has anything changed environmentally? Has the shed been altered or new things been added?
    wrote:
    She is rarely if ever in contact with other dogs.
    She doesnt need to be in contact with other dogs to get fleas. Foxes,cats etc will be the perfect temporary host for them,if not the primary one!

More info is needed nuxx before we could even begin to ascertain if she's alright or not tbh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anniehoo wrote: »
    How old is "old" nuxx? Old for Lab is 10+

yes shes 10 years plus

Has she been wormed recently/regularly? The same with flea treatment? If ya cant remember or dont know, thats ok, dont feel like you cant say "its been awhile!";) Is shes scratching,head tilting, off her food, pooing,peeing more than normal?

Has not been wormed recently. Shes just scratching alot.

Has anything changed environmentally? Has the shed been altered or new things been added?

No

Anyhow, I`ll bring her to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for the help people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    I`ll bring her to the vet tomorrow.

Good stuff. This...
    wrote:
    Shes just scratching alot.

We could be here all day commenting on what that could mean, ye know yourself. It could be something simple (fleas, worms) or a dermatological condition whereby you definitely need a vet.

If shes 10+ a vet check up will do her the world of good anyway. She's pusing OAP in Lab terms so a health check is worth the money ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement