Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can employer pay overtime to some and reduce work days for others?

Options
  • 11-10-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Question is exactly as it states. I have been trying to find the answer to this question both on boards and online but with no results.

Basically, I have been put on a 3 day week by my employer because they say there is not enough work to go around. Meanwhile there are other people in the business who are being paid overtime.

I know to me this seems very unfair, but can someone tell me if this is even allowed?

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Do you get SW payments for the days you are not working? You may be entitled to them. Also if SW are involved they may inquire more deeply into your short time and query why others are being paid O/T.

NERA is another good source of support. Also check your contract re: hours of work etc and what constitutes a normal working week. All those details should be specified. In some companies, especially retail, zero hour contracts are possible, especially for part time workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I would imagine the employer can do what they like given that they own the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Just a thought that the other peoples skillsets and job descriptions might be different enough to allow the management to justify short time for you and O/T for other workers. You would need to establish if the workers on O/T do the exact same work as you and this could be difficult to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the crowd you mentioned to see if they have more details.

If 2 people have the same job in the same role I don't see how the employer can do whatever they want as aforementioned. I don't know how they would justify that to SW when I went to sign on for the other 2 days every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

just ring citizens rights, they should have the answer to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

dohda wrote: »
    Question is exactly as it states. I have been trying to find the answer to this question both on boards and online but with no results.

Basically, I have been put on a 3 day week by my employer because they say there is not enough work to go around. Meanwhile there are other people in the business who are being paid overtime.

I know to me this seems very unfair, but can someone tell me if this is even allowed?

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated.

Of course the employer can do this.

If an employer has 96 hours of work to be done in a week he can employ as many people as he wants to do the work. Anything from 96 workers each working one hour (Not very practical), to two workers working 48 hours each (a normal arrangement) or an any combination of people and hours.

Unless of course there is something in your contract guaranteeing you the hours.

SW has no relevance here.

I am unsure what your question really is?

Fairness does not really come into it, it's up to the man with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

SW does have relevance, people who are dropped to a 3 day week can claim for the other two days. It can't be voluntary obviously.

Could it be to do with doing the same work, but in busier departments or something? Are they on a lesser salary than you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

SW has no relevance here.

I meant that the SW has no control,responsibility or does not regulate distribution of work hours.

Advertisement