Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Water Treatment Plant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

msg11 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but is it not clean water they are flushing out into the sea?

Yes - something like the "clean" water they are flushing into Dublin Bay where Dollymount beach lost its Blue Flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Ernest wrote: »
    Yes - something like the "clean" water they are flushing into Dublin Bay where Dollymount beach lost its Blue Flag.

Treatment at Ringsend is tertiary, treatment at new plant will be secondary - so even worser

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Ive seen where the plant in ringsend puts their waste that cant be treated because the plant is at full capacity
    Its not clean when its going to dublin bay ,its a wonder theres any blue flag beaches near Dublin at all:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

SeaSide wrote: »
    Treatment at Ringsend is tertiary, treatment at new plant will be secondary - so even worser

I'm surprised the EU allow this at all :(

sNarah wrote: »
    Threads merged

What a great way to kill off discussion on a new topic - merge it with a two year old thread!. That way the headline gets buried and the whole topic withers away - on Boards.ie anyway.

Is is any wonder that vigorous discussion on important topics is now mainly to be found on Politics.ie instead of Boards.ie?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

What a great way to kill off discussion on a new topic - merge it with a two year old thread!. That way the headline gets buried and the whole topic withers away - on Boards.ie anyway.

Is is any wonder that vigorous discussion on important topics is now mainly to be found on Politics.ie instead of Boards.ie?.

The thread, may have been started 2 yrs ago, that's when the project was first conceived. The matter has been vigorously discussed here on Boards, as it impacted on many residents in the North County.
    Merging the thread you started with an ongoing and well discussed thread, is a logical step, in my view, and not an attempt to discourage discussion, but to keep it in it's proper thread.

Now that the topic is impacting Clonsaugh, I am sure residents from that area will keep this thread topical, for those of us in the previously endangered sites, we will also keep an eye on this topic, in case it comes back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Gave me a laugh:D, more like unsupported accusations allowed on a foreign server. I read the politics.ie thread on this subject. It descended into anti Clonshaugh posters trying to shout down pro posters who professed a technical background in the water industry and who backed that up with details in their posts. Anyone that disagreed with the Anti Brigade was a stooge or a plant of FCC or Irish Water and was told so. Here we try to attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

martinn123 wrote: »
    ... and not an attempt to discourage discussion, but to keep it in it's proper thread....

Now that the topic is impacting Clonsaugh, I am sure residents from that area will keep this thread topical, for those of us in the previously endangered sites, we will also keep an eye on this topic, in case it comes back to haunt us.

Nothing to do with politics at all, but - as Martin said - to make sure all the debates are kept together. Little use of having 2 parallel threads in which the same points are made. Both threads were active, even though one of them is 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

My second question.

Why treat the dirty water at all if there only doing a half arsed job at it. I'll be honest I literally thought you could drink this water after they finished cleaning it out.

My understanding was it was clean water like drinking water just without the Florine and that added.

Pointless 'cleaning' it if they are not really 'cleaning' it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

msg11 wrote: »
    My second question.

Why treat the dirty water at all if there only doing a half arsed job at it. I'll be honest I literally thought you could drink this water after they finished cleaning it out.

My understanding was it was clean water like drinking water just without the Florine and that added.

Pointless 'cleaning' it if they are not really 'cleaning' it !

Peter O'Reilly the Project Engineer speaking on Pat Kenny stated that secondary treatment would make the water suitable for swimming in and can be thus discharged into the sea.

I would interpret that tertiary means that I could be discharged into a reservoir and could possibly be further processes into drinking water. Even water from a reservoir needs to be treated before being piped to consumers. There is the joke that in Paris if you drink a glass of water seven people will have drunk it before you.

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    The thread, may have been started 2 yrs ago, that's when the project was first conceived. The matter has been vigorously discussed here on Boards, as it impacted on many residents in the North County.
    Merging the thread you started with an ongoing and well discussed thread, is a logical step, in my view, and not an attempt to discourage discussion, but to keep it in it's proper thread.

I never said that the merging of my posting about discharging stuff from a secondary treatment plant into the high amenity area of Sutton/Portmarnock was "an attempt to discourage discussioin" but that has been the effect of closing my thread and merging it with an older thread, judging by the paucity of subsequent contributions on the thread..

I am not especially interested in the Clonshaugh location of the plant but am very concerned about the discharging of the semi-treated effluent into the sea near Protmarnock and Sutton beaches and around the corner from Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I am not especially interested in the Clonshaugh location of the plant but am very concerned about the discharging of the semi-treated effluent into the sea near Protmarnock and Sutton beaches and around the corner from Howth.

How concerned were you about the discharging of raw sewage into a similar location at Howth up until recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

People who don't want it build at the proposed location have being given a boost today as Dublin Airport Authority have objected to it as it could pose safety concerns for aircraft because it would attract a high level of birds and the location of the site is just 2.7km from the main runway.

http://www.herald.ie/news/daa-fear-bird-threat-at-500m-sewage-plant-29360589.html

Hope it hasn't being posted further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    People who don't want it build at the proposed location have being given a boost today as Dublin Airport Authority have objected to it as it could pose safety concerns for aircraft because it would attract a high level of birds and the location of the site is just 2.7km from the main runway.

http://www.herald.ie/news/daa-fear-bird-threat-at-500m-sewage-plant-29360589.html

If they are so concerned about birds will they be looking to prevent the farmer from growing certain crops such as grain, cabbages and cauliflowers that attract birds like pigeons in large numbers if the plant doesn't get the go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I think the DAA are confused, perhaps with the Dump Site at The Nevitt, I can see birds being attracted to a Dump Site, but a Treatment Plant, I don't get it, how are the Birds reacting to ''Ringsend''

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

There is a public protest march about the proposed Fingal sewage plant location on Saturday the 29th of June @11am. We will be meeting outside Penny's Main Street Swords, beside the Garda Station and march to County Hall.

I would encourage anyone who is concerned, to attend as FCC are holding a public information meeting that morning and it is an ideal opportunity to question local officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Fyi, the deadline for public consultation is August 2nd, there will be a leaflet giving session this Saturday to raise awareness. Quoted from facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/PortmarnockDrainageAwareness

"PORTMARNOCK DRAINAGE AWARENESS
    On the 10th June 2013 it was announced at the monthly Fingal County Council meeting that the proposed "GREATER DUBLIN DRAINAGE" scheme would be built in Clonshaugh and routed through PORTMARNOCK to discharge 6 miles from PORTMARNOCK beach beside Irelands Eye.

"If you wish to stop this monster sewage plant, then we need you to act now. We have a limited time left before the public consultation process is closed and this Monster sewage plant goes for planning permission. We need each of you to step up and be counted, and let us know that each of you personally care about our beach and won't stand by and let this happen. Please drop us a message and let us know if you will support this in the next few weeks.......REMEMBER TIME IS RUNNING OUT "

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aurawindsurfing

Hi,

I'm sorry to reactivate this thread but Im curious what is your latest experience with Skerries Water Treatment Plant @Hilly Barry and @AceCard Jones. Did you notice any smell recently or did all of that stopped after the initial problems with the smell please?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's been no issues with smells recently that I have been aware of.

Sometimes in summer there is a bit of a smell around Barnageeragh if it is particularly dry for a spell & the seaweed starts to decay.

To be honest, any smell of 'sewage' is more than likely to come from manure being spread on the farmland around the town.

Hill Billy, thank you for an answer. The reason for me asking is that today I was at Estuary Road and I have to say smell was absolutely annoying not to say disgusting. I thought I would heard something back from Kelly's Bay or other people living in Skerries but heard nothing as well and just trying to establish what is the difference between those two Water Treatments Plants and why one smells like that while other one in Skerries seems to be ok.

I have read some research papers and to make long story short if you smell it than you should check you health as it is not only the smell that is in the air. To be honest people will argue that it is within the limits of EU etc but I do not plan to poison myself even if the stuff I'll be sniffing is below some artificial scale or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I was in Ardgillan on Monday and as I got down to the playground there was an awful odour around that area. Was in the playground for 20 minutes or so and it was quite overpowering. Definitely wasn't a manure type smell.

Quite possibly it was wafting up from Barnageera?

I am quite amazed at the calm way the people of Portmarnock, Baldoyle, Howth and Malahide seem to be taking the notion of discharging millions of tons of semi-treated sewerage from the proposed treatment plant into the sea in a high amenity area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I was in Ardgillan on Monday and as I got down to the playground there was an awful odour around that area. Was in the playground for 20 minutes or so and it was quite overpowering. Definitely wasn't a manure type smell.

I live up there & it did indeed stink from time to time on Monday. It was very 'ripe' manure. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

pistol_75 wrote: »

Doubt it's from Barnageeragh. Appears to be small sewage sump beside toilets at playground. More likely that.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I am quite amazed at the calm way the people of Portmarnock, Baldoyle, Howth and Malahide seem to be taking the notion of discharging millions of tons of semi-treated sewerage from the proposed treatment plant into the sea in a high amenity area.

"Semi treated" what you basing this on? EPA discharge license will ensure outfall from plant will be treated to the highest quality.

detones wrote: »
    "Semi treated" what you basing this on? EPA discharge license will ensure outfall from plant will be treated to the highest quality.

It will not be subject to tertiary treatment before being discharged as I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

detones wrote: »
    Doubt it's from Barnageeragh. Appears to be small sewage sump beside toilets at playground. More likely that.

Makes sense. Seemed more localised to the playground alright within Ardgillan.

• Advertisement

It will not be subject to tertiary treatment before being discharged as I understand it.

I think waste is a waste. Someone somewhere made a limit saying you can live with it. It is like breathing in Dublin air and Kerry air, both are within limits but are they the same? Would living in Dublin affect your health more then Kerry for instance? I think everyone knows answer to this question.

Advertisement