Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert schools programme

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Anybody have any opinons on this course . My son with dyslexia is starting secondary school in September and the Junior cert schools programme has been mention as a possiblity for him. I've never heard of it and am just wondering if anyone esles child has completed it and sat their exams in June
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's excellent. The child still sits the Junior Cert. exams but also has the backup of the JCSP statements. It's more than the Junior Cert., not less.

He won't be the only one in the school following it. There is also some (very small and dwindling) funds available for students on the JCSP, so they get to do a few more extras that the others don't. I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

I've actually taught this course and I can agree with the poster above that it offers the students more and not less.

It was basically conceived as a course to assist children who might be at risk of leaving school early, either because of academic difficulties or other problems. It means a much smaller class; in my school, I ended up teaching a class of ten for English, as opposed to the usual 20+.

Parents are always a bit sceptical of it for various reasons - if you are still concerned, I would call or meet the JCSP co-ordinator for the school, or maybe one of the JCSP teachers.

Generally it's limited to a couple of subjects, usually Maths and English: I've taught the English course for five years and it is basically the Junior Cert English course. All the students will still be doing the JC exams, it just gives them extra certificates and rewards along the way to incentivise them.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any more concerns about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

spurious wrote: »
    It's excellent. The child still sits the Junior Cert. exams but also has the backup of the JCSP statements. It's more than the Junior Cert., not less.

He won't be the only one in the school following it. There is also some (very small and dwindling) funds available for students on the JCSP, so they get to do a few more extras that the others don't. I would highly recommend it.

Totally agree. In my opinion your son will get more attention which can only be a positive and beneficial to his learning. Like all the students in his year group he will do the exact same Junior Cert too so its a win win situation!

Advertisement