Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible Eircom Pings/Speeds until Modem Reset

• 11-10-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a problem i'm having at the moment with our Eircom broadband. In the last week or so, i've noticed that during a certain point in the day, our broadband becomes incredibly slow and unresponsive. The only workaround to this, is to go to the router through a browser, and select the restart option. This will then retsore the broadband to its normal speeds for a few hours. Until the same problem occurs and its rinse and repeat again.

We are using a Zyxel modem, which I know has a lot of problems, but for the last 6 months, its worked relatively well and this problem has only cropped up recently. The firewall on the router itself, is completly turned off (run my own firewall on the laptop). Below are some tests run just before and after I have restarted the modem:

1529674167.png

1529684697.png

Anyone able to offer any insight or help, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

you probably have a torrent program or other p2p program running on the computer that is not configured correctly so it is using all your available bandwidth

when you restart the modem it breaks the active connections. it takes a bit of time for the program to establish new connections so that would be why everything appears to return to normal for awhile after you restart the modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Baneblade wrote: »
    you probably have a torrent program or other p2p program running on the computer that is not configured correctly so it is using all your available bandwidth

when you restart the modem it breaks the active connections. it takes a bit of time for the program to establish new connections so that would be why everything appears to return to normal for awhile after you restart the modem

Cheers. I am concious of that, and I have all my own torrent programs closed.

I do share the network with two other lads, and I have checked with them before, but they are a bit hazy, so I will look at their systems and make sure nothing is running and clogging up the network that shouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Happening here on Vodafone too, probably someone in Eircom flicking a switch thinking "I wonder what this one does"

Advertisement