Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPC World Championships 2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »
    From his point of view. Watched a training vid of his in the same gear pressing 350. Different (less tall) bench from what he's used to? I guess the fella woulda felt odd about the whole competition if every lift had failed.

Some bench.

I'm 100% not following what you're saying. If the lift isn't done in accordance with the rules of performance, it shouldn't count. Simple as that. I don't give a sh*t if he missed his two prior lifts.

There's obviously an element of human error which much be allowed for, but when a dip is as BLATANT as that, there is no justification for white lights.

Personally, it is my belief that if you want to break a world record, it should be done beyond all doubt. Anything else merely cheapens it.

As for him doing it in training... that's great, but it wasn't paused. It was also done with the convenience of home ground advantage, and unlimited rest and preparation as needed.

Powerlifting, especially a world championship event, is about about COMPETITION. Same rules for all, best man on the day wins. If you can't hack that you shouldn't be competing. Gym lfters have no idea the additional pressure being on the platform places on you. It's HIGHLY stressful and if you're not incredibly focused can really f*ck with you. Ask the strong guys here who went from gym lifting to comp lifting, it's a totally different ball game.

I really don't care what someone does in the gym. As I've said, it's an awesome lift and a fantastic achievement, but if you're going to chose to lift in a competitive arena, you need to be prepared to be judged. Especially if you're breaking world records.

I say all of this not out of spite, or jealously of his numbers/record. I say it because in a competition setting, the rules are the rules, and I witnessed a number of incidences over the weekend of the rules being relaxed when certain records were up for grabs, and tbh, even giving the lifter the benefit of the doubt, the opposite should happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    Great numbers, but a f*cking disgrace that lift was passed.

I saw friends get screwed at the weekend for infractions far more minor than that, they moved the goal posts from Sunday to Monday re: legal equipment and even during the day there seems to be a VERY loose interpretation of what the rules of performance were from lifter to lifter.

I don't care how loose judging is (that's a lie, I do), but for god's sake make it consistent.

Disgraceful.

Serious question, what was wrong exactly? Was it the weight dipping on one side just before lockout?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Serious question, what was wrong exactly? Was it the weight dipping on one side just before lockout?

Bingo. And you spotted that without even knowing what you were looking for.

I checked the GPC rule book last night just to make sure it was a rule there too, even tho I assumed it was since gymfreak was screwed for the same thing, albeit A LOT less noticable, and caused by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Bingo. And you spotted that without even knowing what you were looking for.

I checked the GPC rule book last night just to make sure it was a rule there too, even tho I assumed it was since gymfreak was screwed for the same thing, albeit A LOT less noticable, and caused by someone else.

i figured it was this also, a double movement. doesn't the bar have to stay moving up once you get it off your chest? or at least not move back down

as for gymfreak, she should've gotten another chance to do that squat, whether or not she would have had the time/energy is another thing but it was as plain as day the spotter touched the bar. and i spotted that without reading about why it failed first.

gavtron wrote: »
    i figured it was this also, a double movement. doesn't the bar have to stay moving up once you get it off your chest? or at least not move back down

Once the press commences it can't move back down. Stopping's fine.
    as for gymfreak, she should've gotten another chance to do that squat, whether or not she would have had the time/energy is another thing but it was as plain as day the spotter touched the bar. and i spotted that without reading about why it failed first.

Yeah tbh I doubt she would have got it on a retake, but at the same time I don't think there was a visible dip from where I was standing (rear 3/4 view) but in fairness on video review it may have looked that way. Regardless, the spotter touched it and I'm 100% confident she'd have got it otherwise, but these things happen and she did enough to legitimately claim the lift for her own records, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

I saw friends get screwed at the weekend for infractions far more minor than that, they moved the goal posts from Sunday to Monday re: legal equipment and even during the day there seems to be a VERY loose interpretation of what the rules of performance were from lifter to lifter.

I don't care how loose judging is (that's a lie, I do), but for god's sake make it consistent.

Disgraceful.

To the extent at one stage when i questioned why a particular rule was changed, i was told that i know what to do if i don't like it! Great way to promote the sport!

_JOE_ wrote: »
    To the extent at one stage when i questioned why a particular rule was changed, i was told that i know what to do if i don't like it! Great way to promote the sport!

Woah... was not aware of that.

The least they could have said was "sorry, we f*cked up yesterday but it is outlined in the rule book that wrist wraps aren't allowed, so you're just going to have to deal with it".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

Rightly or wrongly you expect there to be discontinuity in judging at these comps, marginal calls are one thing but blatant calls in favour of big lifts is just stupid and takes from the credibility of good lifts. I sat in front of a 350+ deadlift that was given, even though it didn't seem to be locked out. All you can do is compete again and do your best to take any notion of doubt out of the judges hands but that's easier said than done in a sport where you operate at the extreme upper limits of physical capacity.

The rule change with regards legal equipment was just a joke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Just as an aside, the lifters who lifted in IDFPA beforehand:

Did this kind of inconsistancy happen there?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

I was a bit perplexed by not allowing wrist wraps to squat. I didn't even notice anything when I squatted, well barely remember them now anyway.

The rules are the rules and you just get on with it.

All you want is, the judging to be fair and consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I've just been looking at the entry list there for 19th....

I cant pass this up...some massive lifters on it

Petteri Tuomisto Squatted 440 at bullfarm

I'd love to head back down, stupid job :mad: Even better than the big boys on sat is is Andy Cusick cutting drastically to <75kg, bombing on the bench today and lifting @90kg tomorrow. That takes balls!

COH wrote: »
    I'd love to head back down, stupid job :mad: Even better than the big boys on sat is is Andy Cusick cutting drastically to <75kg, bombing on the bench today and lifting @90kg tomorrow. That takes balls!

That is fooking savage...

what weight did he bomb on?

Call in sick and come down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i'm back in limerick and not working saturday... killmurry lodge is it?

Chris Jenkins tomorrow...........that'll be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

The wrist wrap thing is beyond ridiculous , and there is nothing that pisses me off more than federations who won't enforce their own rules

Parsley wrote: »
    i'm back in limerick and not working saturday... killmurry lodge is it?

Yip..if you seriously want to go out drop me a PM ill be passing through the city early on the way out I can collect you

@DAZ ill be popping over at lunch tomorrow. hopefully catch some of the bench...then over again at 3:30 for the end of the deadlift

And Andy Cusick is competing again tomorrow.

There is a very long shot but I may be down on Saturday!!

Da Za wrote: »
    And Andy Cusick is competing again tomorrow.

There is a very long shot but I may be down on Saturday!!

There is a chance i may be sick tomorrow :p

Cusack is nuts

any updates from today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

any updates from today?
    Anita Mahony
    Nice 1000 total for Kyle Vauls @ 110 kgs today

http://www.facebook.com/groups/gpcwpcireland/261962843852216/?notif_t=group_activity
    Facebook

Shane Brodie won the 90's afaik, Andy Cusick was 2nd.

Some Fin won the 100's open, jenkins in 2nd.

Drift get my text?

Shane Brodie won the 90's afaik, Andy Cusick was 2nd.

Some Fin won the 100's open, jenkins in 2nd.

Drift get my text?

just powered up the old phone and got it there...talk to ye all tomorrow..

Just there now. Three lifters opening on over 400kg squats. Going too be a great day of lifting.

Just on the way home from the last day of the GPC Worlds.

Watched some great lifting today, several Squats over 400kg.

The biggest total was 1100kg, sick.

Saw a lifter attempt a 1000lb squat for the first time in person and an attempt at a 800lb pull, unreal!!

Watching all that has made me more than ever want to get in gear.

The Worlds as a whole were great and I thoroughly enjoyed my lifting on Monday.

Time to get stronger and put up a decent total in 2012.

...man i coulda attempted a 800lb pull for ya any day of the week if you wanted.

Just on the way home from the last day of the GPC Worlds.

Watched some great lifting today, several Squats over 400kg.

The biggest total was 1100kg, sick.

Saw a lifter attempt a 1000lb squat for the first time in person and an attempt at a 800lb pull, unreal!!

Watching all that has made me more than ever want to get in gear.

The Worlds as a whole were great and I thoroughly enjoyed my lifting on Monday.

Time to get stronger and put up a decent total in 2012.

Anyone who watched that and didnt want to lift isnt right in the head.
    Was the 52 year old who tripled BW raw on the deadlife Lee armstrong?
    cant remember his name. Proper old skool lifting there...

Foster was savage...1000kg total soon id day.

after seeing today im sickned i didnt get to see anything yeasterday...

lots of 350+kg squats from what im hearing

Lee Marshall, a horse of a man.

The Mattison's were very strong as well.

Lee Marshall, a horse of a man.

The Mattison's were very strong as well.

Marshall that was it...

cheers

• Advertisement

...man i coulda attempted a 800lb pull for ya any day of the week if you wanted.

Attempt a 1000lb squat instead :D

Advertisement