Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPC World Championships 2011

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

COH wrote: »
    Attempt a 1000lb squat instead :D

Only if you're in behind squatting brah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

yeah, 1st video is mine.
    Unreal lifting down there.

Was talking to Dave Foster afterwards about how few people showed up to watch.
    He was saying that in Finland they can charge €30 to see lifting like that and that the place is packed.

I cant understand why people who say they are "into" lifting dont make it their business to go to things like this more often.

I know Powerlifting is fractured with many different feds etc, but it was a WORLD championships in our little hole of a country and it should have got more support in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

yeah, 1st video is mine.
    Unreal lifting down there.

Was talking to Dave Foster afterwards about how few people showed up to watch.
    He was saying that in Finland they can charge €30 to see lifting like that and that the place is packed.

I cant understand why people who say they are "into" lifting dont make it their business to go to things like this more often.

I know Powerlifting is fractured with many different feds etc, but it was a WORLD championships in our little hole of a country and it should have got more support in my opinion

Same as...was watching some Bullfarm vids last night ans there was a couple of hundred people easily in the venue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Would have gone meself if I had money for diesel. Was thinking about national TV in America and how they covered events like this back in the eighties. RTE were probably off filming golf or something :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

First problem with generating support - there's no marketing/advertising outside 'the loop', or money for it.

Second, and most importantly, is simple geography. Having an international event on the other side of the country from the major international airport is stupid! I know this has more to do with the location of the relevant equipment for the comp than anything else, but its still poxy.

Case in point, the Strongmans Champions League. A hugely marketed, globally followed internationally televised event. This was held in Limerick too, as a result the venue was half empty and the expo was a joke. Had it been held in Dublin or even Belfast there prob would have been 5x the crowds. More people, more easily accessible etc.. the same goes for PL albeit on a much smaller scale.

Anyway, a huge percentage of the crowd was comprised of competitors/coaches... the only casual support came from drifter, and a handful of hotel guests wondering what all the racket was about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Anyway, a huge percentage of the crowd was comprised of competitors/coaches... the only casual support came from drifter, and a handful of hotel guests wondering what all the racket was about!

Hey!! What about my two friends..I thought they fitted right in..'What do you do with the bar for this one?' 'Is it heavy?' 'Are we allowed to clap?'..in fairness I think they just came along to harass drifter with questions:D:D

gymfreak wrote: »
    Hey!! What about my two friends..I thought they fitted right in..'What do you do with the bar for this one?' 'Is it heavy?' 'Are we allowed to clap?'..in fairness I think they just came along to harass drifter with questions:D:D

They can harass me any time :p

First problem with generating support - there's no marketing/advertising outside 'the loop', or money for it.

Second, and most importantly, is simple geography. Having an international event on the other side of the country from the major international airport is stupid! I know this has more to do with the location of the relevant equipment for the comp than anything else, but its still poxy.

Case in point, the Strongmans Champions League. A hugely marketed, globally followed internationally televised event. This was held in Limerick too, as a result the venue was half empty and the expo was a joke. Had it been held in Dublin or even Belfast there prob would have been 5x the crowds. More people, more easily accessible etc.. the same goes for PL albeit on a much smaller scale.

Thats very well put...now both the Strongman and the GPC worlds were organised by Limerick based organisers. Naturally your going to give it to your local economy. I don't think either have the following to be held in a major premises in Dublin/Belfast. I mean the power lifting community in Ireland is small..take the weekend fro instance..everyone in that hall at the kilmuray knew everyone else.

They can harass me any time :p

facebook_like_button_big.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

If it was held in Dublin, the Dublin based lifters would certainly get a lot more people going.

Powerlifting is so niche that even people interested in lifting wouldn't even bother going to watch it.

It really bothers me that when there is a top class competition going on in the country, that tonnes of people who say "they powerlift, train for powerlifting etc etc" wouldn't bother going.

If you are really in the sport, you've got to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

Thats very well put...now both the Strongman and the GPC worlds were organised by Limerick based organisers. Naturally your going to give it to your local economy. I don't think either have the following to be held in a major premises in Dublin/Belfast. I mean the power lifting community in Ireland is small..take the weekend fro instance..everyone in that hall at the kilmuray knew everyone else.

Giants Live has been held in Belfast (city centre I think) on more than one occassion and gathered big crowds no? I think you're wrong with regards to strongman (at that level). Do we ever see Irish bodybuilding on international television? No, but it fills the Olympia Theatre/The Helix year in year out. The NABBA worlds are on in Ireland next June, and it will sell out the Grand Canal Theatre (guessing at the venue here) easily, I honestly don't see why a sport like strongman that has much wider exposure in the media couldn't do the same.

Granted PL is a small community, I don't think you're ever going to get massive crowds at it anywhere, but still exposure is exposure and if you want to get appeal to as many people you need to make it accessible to as many people possible. I don't begrudge the organsisers keeping it local, I just think that its a bit short sighted. The fact that everyone in Kilmurray knew each other is (IMO) a greater indication of the problem as opposed to the solution.

Right.....trip to the bullfarm 2012 anyone?

squod wrote: »

Ofek beat me.......easily

Right.....trip to the bullfarm 2012 anyone?

I'm in........Susanna

But we got to make a pit-stop in Slovakia though

Da Za wrote: »
    Ofek beat me.......easily

I watched that from knee level, and it didn't even get close to below parallel imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley wrote: »
    I watched that from knee level, and it didn't even get close to below parallel imo.

Neither did any of Daz's.

:pac:

Fo real???

You jelly!!

I've seen you do some fine high squatting and epic failing yourself princess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Da Za wrote: »
    Fo real???

You jelly!!

Jelly of what! You still haven't come within an asses roar of my total and i'm shit :P

• Advertisement

Jelly of what! You still haven't come within an asses roar of my total and i'm shit :P

who cares about your total.

He still trains day in day out..he still lives and breathes the sport...he still chases his goals..and he has more hunger for the sport now than ever..and im pretty sure he competed with the best of them on a world stage recently..

I think thats enough to earn any mans respect

and at that ladies and gentlemen unless you have something constructive to say about the GPC comp...how about we all STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

who cares about your total.

He still trains day in day out..he still lives and breathes the sport...he still chases his goals..and he has more hunger for the sport now than ever..and im pretty sure he competed with the best of them on a world stage recently..

I think thats enough to earn any mans respect

and at that ladies and gentlemen unless you have something constructive to say about the GPC comp...how about we all STFU

Well said :)

Advertisement