Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge ring road

Options
  • 12-10-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any idea what happened to this ring road planned for years.. I know with the current state of the country its more than likely scrapped.But a small bit of work was done just beside the Dual carriage at the entrance to the town last year and then just stopped as quickly as it started now it just looks like some ruins ..wasted money to start the thing and then abandon after a few weeks !! Or was that even anything related ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

I always thought that was an estate they had planned on building.
    But what would be the point in putting a ring road around Newbridge when you could just bypass it by staying on the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

jaybee747 wrote: »
    I always thought that was an estate they had planned on building.
    But what would be the point in putting a ring road around Newbridge when you could just bypass it by staying on the N7.

Would seem like a pointless exercise. If they want to spend money here they could do with just resurfacing the Nass-Newbridge road. Its absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I think the idea of the ring road was to link the kilcullen rd to the dual carriageway so to take traffic away from the town .the roundabout at lidl was technically the first step towards this ill fated ring road ,in relation to resurfacing the dual carriage way they have but quite badly its some cheap method way so when the first ice and snow comes the road will break up real easy and will be worse than it was before

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Bennett Construction owns that land just outside Newbridge that has been mentioned. They planned the Citygate Development, mainly an industrial and commercial development which was also suppose to contain the new Kildare GAA Stadium. The relief road was part of this development that would link with the Lidl roundabout. The relief road was supposed to continue towards the Kilcullen Road creating a new bridge over the liffey and continuing to the Green Road. Unfortunately, and unlike Naas, the relief roads were almost totally dependent on private sector funding, i.e land being developed. The section in question on the Naas Road has had its planning permission extended due to the economic circumstances. Traffic in Newbridge is sometimes at a crawl. Often on a Saturday, it can take up to half an hour to travel a little less than two miles.

So a kind of city west development was planned along there then would have been great if completed. Well maybe when this whole crisis lifts we can see more work done

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Hi folks,

This link shows a masterplan of what was proposed for the site in question.

http://mbla.net/projects/newbridge/

Advertisement