Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Texting become a thing of the past ?

• 12-10-2011 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Will texting (sms) become a thing of the past? Something only old farts do? When the young people meet these days they ask first are you on facebook not for a phone number.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Will texting (sms) become a thing of the past? Something only old farts do? When the young people meet these days they ask first are you on facebook not for a phone number.

OMFG!!!!111!! ROFL!!!! U R SOOOO AVN A LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

They like looking at pictures and most of them can't spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Bring back the telegram, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Text will go out the window as soon as we develop a means of transmitting the human voice, something like how we do with gramophone records but instantaneous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Text will go out the window as soon as we develop a means of transmitting the human voice, something like how we do with gramophone records but instantaneous.

Isn't there an app out there that instantly sends your voice to another person using a similiar device?
    iMouth, iVoice... oh i can't think of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes, in the future they'll have arthritis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Blikes wrote: »
    Isn't there an app out there that instantly sends your voice to another person using a similiar device?
    iMouth, iVoice... oh i can't think of it!

iGroan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

OMFG!!!!111!! ROFL!!!! U R SOOOO AVN A LOL!!!

wb, mam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Texts well be sent Telepathicly in the future. Think it in your head and bam another person can hear ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yes, in the future they'll have arthritis.
    feck no:eek: then they'll have a valid medical reason to spout off in txtspk. Will boards have to accept it if they have a doctors cert to prove it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

Interesting question.

and you're right. Texting will be seen as an "old way"
    But everything else will too. I can imagine in 20 years the likes of forums, like boards, will be laughed at by the current generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

CoolHat wrote: »
    Interesting question.

But everything else will too. I can imagine in 20 years the likes of forums, like boards, will be laughed at by the current generation.

Why so? I don't find Morse code particularly funny.

Abi wrote: »
    Why so? I don't find Morse code particularly funny.

This is the adults forums :)
    Go play in the kids forums like a good boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

Probably, there'll be something more new and advanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've never wrote this before but

*gets popcorn*

This is After Hours, little girl lost.

Why not answer the question? Perhaps that's too much for Miss 'Cool' hat ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Interesting question.

Laughing at the past is one of the stupidest things people do.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've never wrote this before but

*gets popcorn*

I have done many times. Hold onto your cool hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Soon all communication will be performed entirely by emoticons, going by the diminishing vocabulary of the young'uns I encounter. Any concept will be communicated entirely in smileys, and great works of art will all fit in a single line.

Like so:

Hamlet: :(:mad::eek::(:mad::eek::(

The Simpsons: :)

Hard Times: :(

Inception :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:

Happy Days: :cool:

Laughing at the past is one of the stupidest things people do.

Its just something people do tho.
    Like people of this generation cant phantom how people before mobile phones had an active social life?
    Or people thinking "what did they do when they were bored before the television was created?"

Everything changes.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sending snippets of (written) information to others has been around since carrier pidgeons if not before. I don't see any reason why that would change. The conduit for that text has changed dramatically over the years but now we have near instantaneous direct communications to the specific individuals we want to communicate with... I don't see how that conduit could be much better.

We may see things like Heads Up displays in contact lenses and voice recognition for hands free texting but the written word prevails at the heart of it and only the conduit changes.

DeV.

Its just something people do tho.
    Like people of this generation cant phantom how people before mobile phones had an active social life?
    Or people thinking "what did they do when they were bored before the television was created?"

I'm old enough to remember pre-moblie days and pre-internet days.

I can tell you one thing. Children and young people were more free, more out-doorsy and I'd say more sociable back then.

Actually there's a recent thread on AH about it. Take a look at some of the stories and you'll see.

I have done many times. Hold onto your cool hat.

I annoyed you didn't i? ;) Hence your double posts directed at me ;)

*faps off to it* ;)

I'm old enough to remember pre-moblie days and pre-internet days.

I can tell you one thing. Children and young people were more free, more out-doorsy and I'd say more sociable back then.

Actually there's a recent thread on AH about it. Take a look at some of the stories and you'll see.

I'm old enough too for the record.
    And they want more out doors type of things?
    Thats why broadband (/the net) and facebook are more popular than ever.

think about it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I annoyed you didn't i? ;) Hence your double posts directed at me ;)

*faps off to it* ;)
    Annoying people on purpose is, IMHO, an idiotic thing to do, and reflects poorly on your intelligence. It's also a bannable offence.

So, why don't you 2 knock it off and let this thread continue on track. Kthxbye.

DeV.

And they want more out doors type of things

That's not what I said.
    Thats why broadband (/the net) and facebook are more popular than ever.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with what is patently obvious.

DeVore wrote: »
    So, why don't you 2 knock it off and let this thread continue on track..
    Not to be rude DeV, but I asked a valid question in relation to texting (and the history thereof).

Thanks for the wake up call , it ends here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_messaging

Reading this I don't think text messaging is going to end any time soon.

What are we school kids here Abi?
    Not to be rude DeV, but I asked a valid question in relation to texting (and the history thereof).

Thanks for the wake up call , it ends here.

"But mister teacher he .. he started it!" - Dev said we both knock it off. Not one of us try to get the last word in.
    I read his comment 10 mins ago as of writing this. I didnt feel a need to comment on it. Just accept (aka STFU) So how about we just end it.

I dont wanna get a ban. I doubt you do too. But some how I feel you wont let things be and reply to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

God I love AH drama.

hondasam wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_messaging

Reading this I don't think text messaging is going to end any time soon.

Not likely. I'm not a fan of text messaging myself, a couple at a time maybe. But it's a good way to get a message across if you're short time wise. I have to say though, I still find it an eye-sore looking at text speak. That said, most of the phones these days auto-correct it for us, so I don't know where the problem is in that respect.

Not likely. I'm not a fan of text messaging myself, a couple at a time maybe. But it's a good way to get a message across if you're short time wise. I have to say though, I still find it an eye-sore looking at text speak. That said, most of the phones these days auto-correct it for us, so I don't know where the problem is in that respect.

Same here, short message but I would prefer to make a call. I don't understand half the txt speak.

hondasam wrote: »
    Same here, short message but I would prefer to make a call. I don't understand half the txt speak.
    Tbh, I do the same.

If someone texts me, I mightn't see it for quite a while. So with that in mind, I tend to call more. A half an hours texting can be culled with a two minute phone call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Theres an awful lot of text speak on Boards. Like STFU and TBH and stuff. It can ruin a thread on me anyway if I'm not "cool" enough to understand what they mean?

Is this stuff being tought in school now or in the school yard? and will the next generation write exclusivly in txt?

I predict they will.

OK. OK. I'll GTFO.:rolleyes:

"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I reckon texting hasn't reached it's peak worldwide yet but it eventually will and something bigger and better new will come along and gradually replace it.

Kinda like Bebo and Facebook. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Well I mean facebook is beginning to grow out of fashion, methinks.

I just checked my message log on my phone from the past 2 years

I've sent 29136 texts and received 32939!

I think that works out at 40 texts sent a day.. Outrageous

Well I mean facebook is beginning to grow out of fashion, methinks.

Plenty of life left in it yet!

Too many business have become involved in FB to let it die. Companies used to use TV, print and radio to advertise now all the poular brands are spending much less on traditional media and lots more time (and less money) on social / new media. SEO companies have seen a fall off in trade as indivdual companies now use FB and twitter to direct traffic to their websites. Plus there's so much attached to your FB page these days that it's difficult to let go of it!

I think it's just fashionable to say FB is going out of fashion. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

With smartphones and the use of viber skype etc the days of telephones and texting are numbered. I presently do not text anymore as all my contacts are on viber. VOIP over 3g still has a way to go but over wifi is just about perfect.

You've kept a phone for two whole years!!!:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What's your FB number? :pac:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You've kept a phone for two whole years!!!:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

Haha I know!! Outrageous or what :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Asking for your surname so they can facebook you seems to be the new 'give me your number and I'll call you, I promise' line according to some of my friends. And these are girls meeting guys in their 30's and early 40's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

VenusPlays wrote: »
    Asking for your surname so they can facebook you seems to be the new 'give me your number and I'll call you, I promise' line according to some of my friends. And these are girls meeting guys in their 30's and early 40's.
    God be with the days when you were lucky to get the first name of the yoke you got the ride off, never mind the surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Interesting question.

Boards is laughed at by the current generation!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I'm a morse code man myself:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

El Weirdo wrote: »
    God be with the days when you were lucky to get the first name of the yoke you got the ride off, never mind the surname.

Will ye be in randomarbitrarypub next week? S'pose yah. Might see ya there so

Now that was foreplay :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just checked my message log. Since May 2009, I've sent 183 texts (from my phone) and received 1421. I've sent messages by webtext too but I don't know how many. Definitely less than 1421.

And I don't 'do' Facebuck.

I just checked my message log. Since May 2009, I've sent 183 texts (from my phone) and received 1421. I've sent messages by webtext too but I don't know how many. Definitely less than 1421.

And I don't 'do' Facebuck.

That is some difference between our message logs :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

There's a kids forum??

*gets trenchcoat*

• Advertisement
Advertisement