Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Texting become a thing of the past ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That is some difference between our message logs :eek:

I think the difference comes from the fact that I hate people and they hate me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Will texting (sms) become a thing of the past? Something only old farts do? When the young people meet these days they ask first are you on facebook not for a phone number.
    I'm a 61 year old fart, don't have a mobile, but am on facebook. Your theory is busto.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I'm a 63 yo fart and have a 10 yo mobile. I make about 3/4 texts a week. I miss more calls than I recieve because I can actually walk more than 100 yards or go to bed/have a shower/ eat/ ****e or walk the dog without it. I never ring back. If it was important they'll ring back or it'll be too late anyway.

I am on Face book. Just to keep an eye on my grandchildren. So thats 3 friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

CoolHat wrote: »
    But everything else will too. I can imagine in 20 years the likes of forums, like boards, will be laughed at by the current generation.
    I don't know... Bulletin board setups have been around since the earliest days of the Internet. I don't see them going away any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I think in 20 years time even Facebook will be dying out. Yes, the internet will still be in use but only for average day to day things and something new and improved will come in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Phantom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Standard SMS text messages will probably die out. Anyone who has a smartphone can use apps like "WhatsApp" or now iMessage on iPhones to send completely free texts, photos, video and Audio - over the data network. Its more like using gchat or msn messenger etc - you can see when the other person is tying and you have more of a conversation rather than a 160 character message back and forward. In a few years almost everyone will have smartphones so no need to pay for texts, and with apps like Viber, no need to pay for calls either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

stupid mother****ing thread

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Yeah texting will, IM is the future seeing as most phones come with such feature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I closed fb account ages ago, anyone I ever met in person turned out to be a dick on it. I really don't need to know what they're doing every other minute of the day, especially when it's followed by a stream of statements by others who wish to testify to said triviality. which was a shame because they were usually ok in person. I like texting though. nothing like a nice good night text from some random stranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Facebook is handy for aquaintances, only my closer friends would have my phone number to text me.
    That said, nothing beats a good aul fashioned phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nova forever

Texting sure is in decline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It will when some clever nerd comes-up with a way of talking to the person from the phone. But that is 100 years away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Texting may be on the decline but dragging up year old threads is alarmingly on the rise :P

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Facebook is old at this stage btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Aw screw this I read the first 2 pages before I realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

People probably ask for someone's Facebook these days rather than their number 'cause you can find out so much more about someone by looking at their Facebook profile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Hopefully text speak will become a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Texting sure is in decline
    What were you looking up to come across this thread?

Texting is increasing anyway.

Texting now more popular that talking, according to a new survey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Txting will never die cos people say things by txt that they could never say directly to someone....mainly because there is no face-to-face contact and the whole world won't see it on something facebook

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Mind powered means of communication and product interaction. You will have all electronic devices connect wirelessly to your brain within 1 metre of distance and you chose what to do with power of thought and the device will do it. Imagine going into a restaraunt, sitting down and having ordered by just thinking your order etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I'm a morse code man myself:cool:
    .-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . / -.-- --- ..- --..-- / - .... . / -... . ... - / .-- .- -.-- / - --- / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . .-.-.- / -. --- -. . / --- ..-. / - .... .- - / -.-. --- -. ..-. ..- ... .. -. --. / -- --- -.. . .-. -. / ... - ..- ..-. ..-. / ..-. --- .-. / -- . .-.-.- / .-- .... -.-- / - .... .. ... / .. ... / -. --- - / ..- ... . -.. / --- -. / .- / -.. .- -.-- / - --- / -.. .- -.-- / -... .- ... .. ... / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / -.- -. --- .-- .-.-.- / ... .... . . .-. / -- .- -.. -. . ... ... .-.-.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I use whatsapp more then texting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It'll exist in different forms. My Windows phone can integrate with facebook chat, windows live, e-mail amongst other things. It's more a question of when legacy devices that still use SMS-only die out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Yakult wrote: »
    Mind powered means of communication and product interaction. You will have all electronic devices connect wirelessly to your brain within 1 metre of distance and you chose what to do with power of thought and the device will do it. Imagine going into a restaraunt, sitting down and having ordered by just thinking your order etc.
    And watch the look on your nubile young waitresses face as she bends over to fill your glass, or the sounds coming from the people reading the "thought translator" in the kitchen. :o

Advertisement