Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Computer Science/Computer Programming/etc..

• 12-10-2011 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I'm not even sure where to begin....I'm from the United States and haven't been here in Ireland very long at all, so I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant on how all of this works.

Back in the US, I'd done some 'adjunct' teaching. I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science and am in progress on a masters in Computer Science. I should have a green card shortly and will be working full-time as a software engineer.

What are the requirements typically like to instruct classes in Ireland? Would my US degrees carry any weight here/does it sound like I'd have a shot at doing this here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do you mean in secondary school? We don't have Computer Science as a subject here. Students have computer classes but they learn things like word processing, email, powerpoint etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only computer subject for exam is the IT elective in the Applied Leaving Cert and there is no school in the country would have enough hours to give a job exclusively for that.

As rainbowtrout said, the 'computer classes' for the general class groups are very basic and usually taken by a staff member who has more of a clue than the rest.

Advertisement