Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of sponsorship

Options
  • 12-10-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi all,

Apologies if this question was previously asked.Did a search of the forum & found lots of info re sponsorship but still have 1 or 2 questions.
    If anyone can help then great:D

If you are on a 1yr Working Holiday Visa and begin to work with a company who are interested in sponsoring you on a 457 visa so as to allow you to continue to work for them for up to 4 years, how much will this visa cost the company?
    I had a quick look on http://www.immi.gov.au and as far as i can make out, it would only cost $790 which to me seems pretty low.

The reason i ask is im just worried about them sponsoring me and then for me to want to go home just 6-9 months later which to be honest is highly likely.
    Will i have cost the company a lot of money?

Also, the terms of the sponsorship is that they will only sponsor me and not my partner.He will be able to go on my 457 visa but we would have to pay the cost of that ourselves.
    Anyone know how much that would cost?

Any feedback will be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hey,
    That is the cost alright. you will also have to pay about $265 i think to immigration when completing your part of the application. Don't worry about that cost for your employer.

It is alot cheaper for them to sponsor you and pay that much rather than paying an absolute fortune to an agency every week. Not sure how the defacto works but I think you need to provide evidence etc that you are indeed a couple such as joint accounts, pictures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Defacto is free (as far as I know)

Unless he needs health checks etc.

If they are using an agency, they might charge extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Jockey#1 thanks a mil for that info!

So do you think it would be extremely bad of me to take the sponsorship (if definitely offered that is!) knowing that i will be leaving the country 6-9 months later?
    We are seriously 99% sure we will be leaving like and i cant help but feel riddled with guilt that i will be bailing on this company after they have gone out on a limb for me sorta thing.

Some people are telling me i shouldnt care but unfortunately im the kind of person that would feel extremely guilty!

Also, thanks to you too Hussey!

So do you think it would be extremely bad of me to take the sponsorship (if definitely offered that is!) knowing that i will be leaving the country 6-9 months later?
    We are seriously 99% sure we will be leaving like and i cant help but feel riddled with guilt that i will be bailing on this company after they have gone out on a limb for me sorta thing.

Some people are telling me i shouldnt care but unfortunately im the kind of person that would feel extremely guilty!

Don't feel guilty, people leave jobs all the time, and come and go (and to be honest you never know what will happen - always good to have a back up plan)

Obviously not all companies, but some of them will have not guilt screwing you over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Your company might not bother to sponsor again, once bitten twice shy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A few corrections on the above info.
    for them for up to 4 years, how much will this visa cost the company?
    I had a quick look on http://www.immi.gov.au and as far as i can make out, it would only cost $790 which to me seems pretty low.

That's the total cost of sponsor application ($405), nomination ($80)and visa application ($305).

The $305 is the fee you pay. They may pay this for you, but strickly speaking thats your visa fee.

So the cost for them alone is $485. If they have sponsored somebody in the last 3 years (at time of lodging), then they are already approved sponsors and the fee they pay is only $80, or $385 if they pay for your visa
    jockey#1 wrote: »
    Hey,
    That is the cost alright. you will also have to pay about $265 i think to immigration when completing your part of the application.

No they don't. You are thing of the sponsorship fee which is include in the $790 the OP quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

maybe im uber jealous of your position your in...but what on earth would want to resettle back in eire having the offer of 4 yrs in OZ.....why live in doom n gloom......pull your head out of your A$#e

why live in doom n gloom......pull your head out of your A$#e

Mod Calm down, it's the OP's choice what they do with their life not yours, no more suggestions like that, this isn't AH

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Will you have to sign a new contract with the company when you take up their offer of sponsorship. I have heard of some companies putting clauses in place where people have to repay costs if they decided to break the contract early. But that was for people being sponsored from overseas.

ellaq wrote: »
    Will you have to sign a new contract with the company when you take up their offer of sponsorship. I have heard of some companies putting clauses in place where people have to repay costs if they decided to break the contract early. But that was for people being sponsored from overseas.

Yeah I know someone who relocked from Ireland who had that clause, which is fair enough as the company paid for flights, shipping and 2 apartment fees!

Usually it's not the case if in Australia.

Also < $500 is not much to get a employee for 6-9 months
    If you have a good worker, it will cost a lot to replace / retrain etc,

• Advertisement

ellaq wrote: »
    Not quite.
    He may or may not have to sign a new contract. I didn't. I have no such clause.

And a repayment clause only refers to extra they paid, such as flights, appartments, bonus, immigration agents ot what ever.

It's illegal for them to seek the actual sponorship cost from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Mellor wrote: »

That's the total cost of sponsor application ($405), nomination ($80)and visa application ($305).

The $305 is the fee you pay. They may pay this for you, but strickly speaking thats your visa fee.

So the cost for them alone is $485. If they have sponsored somebody in the last 3 years (at time of lodging), then they are already approved sponsors and the fee they pay is only $80, or $385 if they pay for your visa

No they don't. You are thing of the sponsorship fee which is include in the $790 the OP quoted.

Oh for god sake, my company put me in contact with an immigration lawyer to get this all done! Cost me in excess of 3k!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Oh for god sake, my company put me in contact with an immigration lawyer to get this all done! Cost me in excess of 3k!

There are people who would give their right arm to be sponsored and who are really desperate to stay.
    You taking up sponsored job with no intention of staying is Really unfair on your company and the people in there who are trusting g you and going out to helpyou while you are lying to them and wasting their time and money.
    It also prevents someone who wants it fromgetting it; you are messing up the personal trust put in you by the person who is sponsoring you, and taking the opportunity away from someone else.

I agree with the other poster who also said that you might make them more reluctant to sponsors others after their experience with you.

How about being fair and honest with them instead of just lying.

$3k is about the norm sadly.

Immigration agents cause the cost to sky rocket.
    Thsoe prices abve are the new fees, they were cheaper last year. My whole sponsorship ended up cost my $270 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

$3k is about the norm sadly.

Immigration agents cause the cost to sky rocket.
    Thsoe prices abve are the new fees, they were cheaper last year. My whole sponsorship ended up cost my $270 or so

That's so bizarre, i wonder why my company uses an agent so... Is it faster?

my company are fairly sound, so it seems odd to put us out, unless it fast tracks using an agent/is more lejit (though i don't know how the latter'd work)

Doesn't fast track it afaik. In fact it can take longer as you have to get the stuff for the agent, and deal with them a bit before it is lodged. I know of some that make you do extra stuff like x-rays before they lodge, even though they might not be needed.
    Some companies just don't want the hassle of filling the paper work so they pay somebody to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Some companies prefer to use an agent and are willing to pay for it, it all depends on who the employer is. There is a market for agents otherwise they just wouldnt exist.

I have seen people pay an agent $3000 out of their own pocket so it would not cost the employer 1 cent in time or money just to get the sponsorship. If they could have done it for less than $500 then they probably would have, some employers just reckon sponsorship is a hassle but unless everyone comes to the party its gonna cost somewhere along the line.

Thanks all for the advice & comments.As always, they are appreciated.

Good golfer 64 - Not everyone in Ireland lives in doom & gloom! I had a perfectly fine job before i left but chose to head to Oz for a year and give it a go.Also, not everyone likes Oz as much as the next person.Personally i am enjoying my time here and just looking for advise on something that may or may not happen with my employeer.

Just a thought - who is lying?? i suggest you calm down and allow people to ask for information on something that may or may not happen in their working life.
    For the record, i havent said a word to my employeer about wanting to leave or stay.Im simply thinking ahead as to what options i may have in the near future.
    Also, this is not a sponsored job.If it turns out that way, its because i have put in the work and they want to keep me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

I'm just curious about this 457 sponsorship process, is it just a case of you and the company fill out the forms, pay the money and that's your lot. any interviews with the authorities or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

beartooth wrote: »
    I'm just curious about this 457 sponsorship process, is it just a case of you and the company fill out the forms, pay the money and that's your lot. any interviews with the authorities or the like?

None for me and none organised. Over two weeks into the processing and I just had to provide the immi officer with standard information and fill out a pretty simple form.

My 457 visa cost 1925 dollars (Or well thats what the receipt says) entirety paid for by the company sponsoring me.

As for the OP and feeling guilty. Remember being offered a sponsorship is a great opportunity. After that I really cant say what you should do. Best of luck in whatever you decide anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Good golfer 64 - Not everyone in Ireland lives in doom & gloom! I had a perfectly fine job before i left but chose to head to Oz for a year and give it a go.Also, not everyone likes Oz as much as the next person.

Well said Lucy! There seems to be an assumption that everyone in Ireland is on the dole and can't get a job. It's a sh1t situation for those who are in it but lots of people are doing fine there too. Some people chose to come here for change of lifestyle, not just out of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi all,

Apologies if this question was previously asked.Did a search of the forum & found lots of info re sponsorship but still have 1 or 2 questions.
    If anyone can help then great:D

If you are on a 1yr Working Holiday Visa and begin to work with a company who are interested in sponsoring you on a 457 visa so as to allow you to continue to work for them for up to 4 years, how much will this visa cost

The reason i ask is im just worried about them sponsoring me and then for me to want to go home just 6-9 months later which to be honest is highly likely.
    Will i have cost the company a lot of money?

Also, the terms of the sponsorship is that they will only sponsor me and not my partner.He will be able to go on my 457 visa but we would have to pay the cost of that ourselves.
    Anyone know how much that would cost?

Any feedback will be very much appreciated :)

It would appear that you have forgotten what you originally wrote. Your company is willing to pay for your sponsorship which I gather runs for 4 years from what is said in the thread; you are 99% sure you are leaving after 6 or 9 months.
    Who's being dishonest here.

It appears you failed to read what i wrote...

''If you are on a 1yr Working Holiday Visa and begin to work with a company who are interested in sponsoring you''

The important words being 'if' and 'interested'

Nothing there is set in stone.....If and when they approach me with the option of sponsorship i certainly will take all factors into account.
    But, the option may not even come up! Im probably just looking too far ahead at this stage.

I'll be sure to run it by you before making any decisions :p:p

It would appear that you have forgotten what you originally wrote. Your company is willing to pay for your sponsorship which I gather runs for 4 years from what is said in the thread; you are 99% sure you are leaving after 6 or 9 months.
    Who's being dishonest here.

Well in that case you gathered incorrect information.
    The OP has suggested nothign wrong.

From Immigration;
    With [a 457 sponsorship] visa you can employ overseas workers for a period of between one day and four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Was referring to the fees Pre July 2011, I believed they changed on 01/07/2011...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

hussey wrote: »
    Defacto is free (as far as I know)

Unless he needs health checks etc.

If they are using an agency, they might charge extra

In the process of de facto at the moment, the charge was $305 for the DIAC fee, $1000 for the agent, But you don't have o have an agent you can make the application yourself.

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Was referring to the fees Pre July 2011, I believed they changed on 01/07/2011...
    I guessed that, doesn't matter. The fee is still not additional to the costs listed as you suggested, it's included.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I just got my 457 approved yesterday and done all the paperwork myself maybe i can add something to the this.

Its a 3 step process unless your company is an approved busines sponsor. If they are already its just part 2 & 3.

1. Business applies to become a sponsor
    2. Nomination for your position is approved
    3. Your application

It can all be submitted together but if any part fails they MAY cancel it all, it seams to be faster to put it all in together, as they process part 1 & 2 together, my boss was being emailed for info about each part at the same time and when they were approved part 3 for me took 1 week.

The costs provided by Mellor are right it is on immi.gov that the sponsor has to pay to become a business sponsor and this lasts 3 years it took about 7 weeks to come through as my company had to provide some extra documentation. You get 28 days to provide any extra info and they can apply for an extension as well.
    Its actually on the immi site that the employer cant make the employee pay for their part. But i suppose that a tough arguement, they can just say fine we wont sponsor you so!

As far as the positions nomination mine got knocked back the first time because they never received the email proving where my employer got my wage from.
    They are big on your wage being above the minimum about 49330 i think - all you need for this is some recent job adds, we provided 3 job adds, a survey and my contract. This applies if there is no australian in the company doing a similar role, if there is i imagine a copy of their contract would do.
    we then put another nomination in and it took two weeks to come through

Having submitted everything together they had already mostly processed my personal documents and that came through a week later
    All in all it took 3 months.

For my details i sent in CV (and relevant job references, to the type of position you are applying for), copy of degree, passport, bank statements, garda clearance(I dont think this is essential i just had one already), and the 457 form which is basically like filling out the dole form not as scary as it looks. I also sent in an extension on my 6 months as i was on a WHV and about to break the 6 months

As far as health insurance goes we are covered by the reciprocal between Oz and Ireland - on the 457 form i just wrote after the question about health insurance "after speaking to immigration i was advised we were covered by the reciprocal agreement"
    If your on VHI most of them only cover you for 6 months abroad unless your on the global policy, im open to correction here

For defacto it cost nothing we just supplied a joint account from over here, a reference from my old landlord in Ireland and the lease and a letter stating how we met, how long we have been together and our intention to stay and work here, how romantic lol

As the woman is a nurse they wanted a medical for her but she provided it for the working holiday and it was less than 12 months ago so it was still valid - she also had blood test done over here in March 2011 before she was allowed work in hospitals and this backed it up also.

Its really not that hard to do it yourself just takes a bit of reading and research

Just thought id give something back a lot of people here helped me with questions when i was going through the process, hopefully this may help some people out.

Good luck

Advertisement