Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comics to pick up?

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey everyone
    first time posting on boards, I have bit experience with comics have quite big collection of batman graphic novels and comics, also have nightwing comics too, I have vol 1-14 of the walking dead, looking forward to 15..
    Since competing the walking dead, (thankfully started during forbidden planets sale in Dublin of buy 2 get 1 free, very helpful) am just wondering what pick up next, am leaning towards 100 bullets wondering what people's taughts are on it, also thinking about getting into star wars history, and what you guys think? And any other suggestions from you'd would be great too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Is there a particular aspect of Star Wars you're interested in (Jedi/Sith, Empire/Rebellion, bounty hunters etc.)?

Trades that I think are worth checking out:

Knights of the Old Republic series about a Jedi Padawan framed for murder.

Knight Errant
    series set before the Sith have gone 'extinct' in Phantom Menace.

Jedi vs Sith
    about how the Sith "Rule of Two" was brought into place. The art seems to divide people though.

Quinlan Vos' story during the prequel trilogy. I can list all the individual volumes if you want but the first four or five have been collected as an omnibus edition called Quinlan Vos: Jedi in Darkness.

Clone Wars Volume 7: When They Were Brothers. Story with Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi leading into Revenge of the Sith. The continuity for it is a bit up in the air at the moment due to the current Clone Wars TV series but I think it serves as a good last hurrah for Skywalker and Kenobi's friendship.

Dark Times series set in the aftermath of RotS.

Imperial officer Janek Sunber's story in Empire 7: The Wrong Side of the War and Rebellion 1: My Brother, My Enemy.

Rebellion 2: The Ahakista Gambit set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. My description can't do it justice but it's kind of about a Rebel special ops team on a suicide mission to infiltrate an Imperial stronghold. The book's the first that sprung to mind for this list.

Star Wars Adventures 3: Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes set during Skywalker's time training with Yoda.

Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction set a year after Return of the Jedi. It's only one issue thick but if you're big on Boba Fett, the story was collected as a Fett omnibus (called Boba Fett wink.gif) which collected most of the Fett comics released up till then. The omnibus also has a fun story called the Yavin Vassilika set before A New Hope that includes Han Solo.

Tag and Bink Were Here. A comedic non-continuity volume about two guys whose adventures intersect with the events of all six films.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

Hey everyone
    first time posting on boards, I have bit experience with comics have quite big collection of batman graphic novels and comics, also have nightwing comics too, I have vol 1-14 of the walking dead, looking forward to 15..
    Since competing the walking dead, (thankfully started during forbidden planets sale in Dublin of buy 2 get 1 free, very helpful) am just wondering what pick up next, am leaning towards 100 bullets wondering what people's taughts are on it, also thinking about getting into star wars history, and what you guys think? And any other suggestions from you'd would be great too...

Hey there, good to see another dundalk head here!

I haven't read very much of 100 Bullets, but the stuff I have read was okay. If it's a good series with a proper beginning middle and end you're looking for Preacher's a good one, and Y: The Last Man (which is the only series I ever managed to hook my girlfriend on).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Personally I love 100 Bullets - in terms of the paperbacks it takes about 3 or 4 books before you start to properly understand the full scale of the story, but it's great stuff, with some luscious artwork along the way.

What kind of stuff do you like? Ridley's pretty much covered the Star Wars side of things, but beyond that, if you were picking books or films what kind of genres and styles do you enjoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dundalk comic guy

The star wars am interested in is sort of the history of it with the sith, and like origin story's of qui gon jin, yoda count dooka etc...

100 bullets seems to interest me, I have heard a lot about preacher, what's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

I have heard a lot about preacher, what's it about?

It's a horror/western, basically.

It's about a Preacher from a small town in Texas, who accidentally winds up possessing power similar to God almighty's. He then hooks up with an ex-hitwoman and an Irish vampire and heads off on a road trip to hunt down God and make him accountable for all the suffering in Creation. It's all wrapped up in ultra-violence and a lot of scatological humour, so depending on your sensibilities you may find it a little offensive.

You can hear quite a good discussion on the series here, though there may be spoilers (not many, iirc).

It's a great read, and you may or may not care that the writer was Garth Ennis, who's the biggest Irish creator in American comics today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

The star wars am interested in is sort of the history of it with the sith, and like origin story's of qui gon jin, yoda count dooka etc...

Well Tales of the Jedi, Knight Errant and Jedi vs Sith covers the history of the Sith in comic form. Those TotJ stories aren't so good in my opinion apart from Redemption which isn't about the Sith. ;) Oh and some tie-in books to The Old Republic game.

Dark Horse has just finished a mini-series called Star Wars Jedi: The Dark Side with Qui-Gon Jinn before he took Kenobi as a padawan and Chewbacca and the Slavers of the Shadowlands but there's not much on Dooku and Yoda's past, and what there is is in novels (as is the bulk of Qui-Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi stories). Same with other characters. Han Solo's early life is in a trilogy of novels.

The best source for an overview of Star Wars history is in the reference books like The Essential Atlas and the New Essential Chronology. Or read the articles on Wookieepedia. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stevesullivan

I choose American comics. I guess because I can relate to them better and I enjoy the storylines more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donaldbracy

Didi you read Walking Dead or Invincible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

hey guys don't want to hijack the thread but some great tips form posters here. basically my mate isa huge comic book fan and was telling me about the reboot, he gave me the first 2 issues of The Flash and the Justice League and I really really enjoyed it. I've never read any comics before but I was a huge Flash fan back when I was younger! Always loved him and the cartoon so I guess that's what drew me to that.

I've been looking up some of the older ones to get, he told me to jump in with Crisis on Infinte Earth and go from there. But I want to go back to the start of the Barry Allen character, I've foudn a volume of archives on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Archives-Vol-Archive-Editions/dp/1563891395/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321617803&sr=1-2

Is this a good place to start and then jump to the Crisis on Infinite Earth?

Also really liked the Green lantern and found a collection of 'buddy' stories:

http://www.amazon.com/Brave-Bold-Flash-Green-Lantern/dp/B000IL4ELM/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321618855&sr=1-9

Has anyone read these before and recommend them or any other collectiosn to start with?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hi me-skywalker, I can't specifically help with the books you mentioned but I'm in a similar position to you, only started regularly reading since the reboot and installing the Comixology app. Personally I really recommend Batman, Batwing and All Star Western. For graphic novels Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns are a must, though I really enjoyed Superman: Red Son (a what if scenario where Supes fights for Communism in Cold War) too

• Advertisement
Advertisement