Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job in Melbourne!!

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been here since end of July and I am struggling to get a job in Melbourne. I am a telecoms engineer with loads of experience but I stupidly came over on the WHV thinking I'd get sponsored no problem. I reckon that 90% of applications I make get deleted once they find out I'm on the WHV. I've got to the 2nd and 3rd stage interviews with a few companies but they all seem to trail off and eventually not get back to me at all and at this stage I'm starting to go mad. I've been planning on coming here for about 3 years and I am very disappointed in my naivety that I'd fall into a good job.

Even though I've been here 2.5 months now, I was initially applying for really good jobs, it is only now that I have realised I'll have to at least get a temp job until something suitable comes up.

I am now trying to get any type of temp job possible but after a week of applying to everything and getting no response from agencies, I am now desperate and have decided to ask anyone in Melbourne how they have gone about getting temp jobs..

Any help would be great, please PM me of reply with your experiences of the place..

And for anyone thinking of quitting a job and coming over to Melbs expecting to fall into a job, think about the move very carefully...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

lima wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been here since end of July and I am struggling to get a job in Melbourne. I am a telecoms engineer with loads of experience but I stupidly came over on the WHV thinking I'd get sponsored no problem. I reckon that 90% of applications I make get deleted once they find out I'm on the WHV. I've got to the 2nd and 3rd stage interviews with a few companies but they all seem to trail off and eventually not get back to me at all and at this stage I'm starting to go mad. I've been planning on coming here for about 3 years and I am very disappointed in my naivety that I'd fall into a good job.

Even though I've been here 2.5 months now, I was initially applying for really good jobs, it is only now that I have realised I'll have to at least get a temp job until something suitable comes up.

I am now trying to get any type of temp job possible but after a week of applying to everything and getting no response from agencies, I am now desperate and have decided to ask anyone in Melbourne how they have gone about getting temp jobs..

Any help would be great, please PM me of reply with your experiences of the place..

And for anyone thinking of quitting a job and coming over to Melbs expecting to fall into a job, think about the move very carefully...

Have you tried pubs, restaurants etc? In my mind there is always work to be had in the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I've been saying that for ages. Anyone coming over on a WHV thinking you're going to get a great job n sponcership off the plane YOU'RE NOT.

I am here on PR visa n it took me 2 months to get a job. If you're on a WHV forget trying to get a job at what you were doing at home. Take what you can to make money. Look in the papers for temp jobs. Agencies will promise you everything under the sun .

Check The Age on a Saturday n also Gumtree has jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

lima give these guys a try http://www.programmed.com.au/sites/ They may have a job that you could do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

OP Have you considered applying for 88 days of Farm Work so you get another year at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Have you told them you want to get sponsored?

They might think you just want a few months work and then head off travelling. Make sure they know this is not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 mikeryantipp

You could try TMC recruitmant. They should be able to get you some call centre or data entry work. Not too sure if thats what your after but thats all you'll really get when temping. Call them on Tel: (03) 9529-4811
    and ask for Sharon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you want a job in Hospitality (waiter, bar work etc) have a look on twitter (no joke) - loads of restaurant owners are always saying how they need workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

Hey,

Do you reckon, it's better to put in your Resume Objective at the start, or in your cover letter, that you are here only on a Work Holiday Visa? You could place in it, your situation,i.e. that you are here looking for work only, and willing to work the full duration, and if possible would be welcoming if the company would consider sponsorship after the duration of work.

I mean, you can only work 6 months in Australia on this visa, so it's probably not worth their time.

I guess, I need some advice too.

Have you had any luck with job agencies getting you a job or do you do direct applications only? Are you willing to work elsewhere for some time in Australia, perhaps somewhere close by, and then return to MB and look for a job at a later time, when you are guaranteed your stay in Australia is for a longer duration?

There is also the immigration route, which is expensive I believe, but gets you into Australia -- is that on a permanent basis?

Some people want to stay in Australia, but if you do the time getting experience as a Skilled Worker (there's a lot of JOBS under that right?) in Ireland first, then can you not just apply for an immigration visa, once you have the necessary experience justifying the application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lima wrote: »
    Hi,

riverboat bungalow in mildura. :p

last chance saloon for me back in 2002.. LOL

also, from my time there i gave up looking for engineering work related to my degree back then after a few weeks.. i realised you have no hope in hell of getting a 'proper' job in australia if you are a backpacker.

need residency for any job like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hogan86

i am looking to move over to australia with my girlfriend next june an am a qualified electrician with hopefully a degree in sustainable energy. will be going over on a working holiday visa and like yourself hoping to get sponsored but reading your post has me worried. i will be applying for my australian elecrical mechanic license from back home and hope to get that sorted.

have you papers in your trade? hoping i make the right move like u.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

hogan86 wrote: »
    i am looking to move over to australia with my girlfriend next june an am a qualified electrician with hopefully a degree in sustainable energy. will be going over on a working holiday visa and like yourself hoping to get sponsored but reading your post has me worried. i will be applying for my australian elecrical mechanic license from back home and hope to get that sorted.

have you papers in your trade? hoping i make the right move like u.

A working holiday visa is designed for someone who wants to have a holiday and do some work to top up his funds. You sound like you have a trade AND a degree and are looking to emigrate permanently for economic reasons, why would you go on a WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hogan86

CiaranC wrote: »
    A working holiday visa is designed for someone who wants to have a holiday and do some work to top up his funds. You sound like you have a trade AND a degree and are looking to emigrate permanently for economic reasons, why would you go on a WHV?

i have been told by almost everyone that i am best going on a WHV as is my best chance to see if i like australia and would like to emmigrate,means i can work and do some traveling and i can also apply for the 2nd year aswell. my girlfriend is going with me and she has no papers so would be alot harder for her to try get permanent residancy. im finished up college in june next year and with no work as a sparks and not alot in sustainable energy i dont plan on sitting around and want to get the hell out of ireland.hoping i will get a job and fingers crossed sponsorship somewhere down the line. i have plenty of friends over there i will be calling in favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have to agree with Ozeire although its possible to get sponsored while on a WHV it is not a guarantee that it will actually happen and I reckon that at best 15-20%, its just a holiday visa and not migrating like everyone likes to believe it is. In saying that I think you have a better chance of being skilled sponsored from a WHV than you have of being skill sponsored from Ireland.
    Hey,

Do you reckon, it's better to put in your Resume Objective at the start, or in your cover letter, that you are here only on a Work Holiday Visa? You could place in it, your situation,i.e. that you are here looking for work only, and willing to work the full duration, and if possible would be welcoming if the company would consider sponsorship after the duration of work.

I mean, you can only work 6 months in Australia on this visa, so it's probably not worth their time.

I guess, I need some advice too.

Have you had any luck with job agencies getting you a job or do you do direct applications only? Are you willing to work elsewhere for some time in Australia, perhaps somewhere close by, and then return to MB and look for a job at a later time, when you are guaranteed your stay in Australia is for a longer duration?

There is also the immigration route, which is expensive I believe, but gets you into Australia -- is that on a permanent basis?

Some people want to stay in Australia, but if you do the time getting experience as a Skilled Worker (there's a lot of JOBS under that right?) in Ireland first, then can you not just apply for an immigration visa, once you have the necessary experience justifying the application?

I would be honest from the start, if an employer doesn't fancy the sound of a WHV or Sponsorship and they decide to bin it at the application process then its probably best all round for everyone. Saves wasting time with interviews that are not going anywhere.

As for the migration route that is yet again changing next year, DIAC is going to EOI in 2013 witch is an Expression of interest. Basically for independent/State sponsored PR etc you don't actually apply for the visa.

You register you interest of migration on a system, then if the country decides they might want you to migrate then they basically give you a tap on the shoulder to then apply in the usual manor.
    riverboat bungalow in mildura. :p

last chance saloon for me back in 2002.. LOL

also, from my time there i gave up looking for engineering work related to my degree back then after a few weeks.. i realised you have no hope in hell of getting a 'proper' job in australia if you are a backpacker.

need residency for any job like that.

I had a permanent engineering job within 5 weeks of landing on a WHV back in '05, its all down to the individual. Yes it can be done.

Best advice is Plan to Fail that way you wont be to disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

mandrake04 wrote: »
    As for the migration route that is yet again changing next year, DIAC is going to EOI in 2013 witch is an Expression of interest. Basically for independent/State sponsored PR etc you don't actually apply for the visa.

You register you interest of migration on a system, then if the country decides they might want you to migrate then they basically give you a tap on the shoulder to then apply in the usual manor.

Holy Crap hadn't heard this at all. When is it changing exactly because i am in the process of applying for PR, just waiting on my skills assessment? :-(

Well its proposed at the moment but wont be implemented until next year but it will happen for sure, think the initial selection round is January 2013 so I reckon you will be alright.

They way it works is that its based on a skill select database, Your age, occupation, qualifications, experience, level of English will give you what they call a 'Level of Human Capital Value'.

You register your details and it stays on the data base for 2 years, Industry, Employers and Immigration determine what is required ie. number of a particular occupation eg. 500 Engineers and the computer selects the best ranked applicant. When the applicant is selected they will be 'invited' to apply.

It will keep picking the best ranked applicant until said occupation has reached 500, if you don't get picked within the 2 you update your details and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Have to agree with Ozeire although its possible to get sponsored while on a WHV it is not a guarantee that it will actually happen and I reckon that at best 15-20%, its just a holiday visa and not migrating like everyone likes to believe it is. In saying that I think you have a better chance of being skilled sponsored from a WHV than you have of being skill sponsored from Ireland.

I would be honest from the start, if an employer doesn't fancy the sound of a WHV or Sponsorship and they decide to bin it at the application process then its probably best all round for everyone. Saves wasting time with interviews that are not going anywhere.

I had a permanent engineering job within 5 weeks of landing on a WHV back in '05, its all down to the individual. Yes it can be done.

Best advice is Plan to Fail that way you wont be to disappointed.

dont know about your field but any electronic engineering roles seemed about as likely as getting a similar job on the moon.

dont know about your field but any electronic engineering roles seemed about as likely as getting a similar job on the moon.

Service Engineer in Nuclear medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Well i'm here a week an got offered 3 jobs, all sales tho so don't know if that'd suit, but yea just keep on the agencies. Everyone i've met here who's wanted work has got it in a couple of days. Just persist. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

there's an agency in dublin who has got v experienced in getting workers jobs in Aus, particularly trades and engineers. afaik i cant say who they are on here but PM me if you want details

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

hussey wrote: »
    If you want a job in Hospitality (waiter, bar work etc) have a look on twitter (no joke) - loads of restaurant owners are always saying how they need workers

Really? I'll havta sign up for twitter so. Heading over in 3 weeks, seems to be plenty of work in hospitality from what I can see on Seek, Gumtree etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement