Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby snails all over

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I've a lush garden and there have been lots and lots of baby snails since about 2 months.
    They vary from pretty big to tiny little baby snails.
    I take it they won't harm anything since they just eat leaves and grass and such but the question is: won't they soon freeze? Aren't snails born in the spring like most wild animals?
    Should I take some sort of precaution, like building some sort of snail hive and put them all there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

biko wrote: »
    I've a lush garden and there have been lots and lots of baby snails since about 2 months.
    They vary from pretty big to tiny little baby snails.
    I take it they won't harm anything since they just eat leaves and grass and such but the question is: won't they soon freeze? Aren't snails born in the spring like most wild animals?
    Should I take some sort of precaution, like building some sort of snail hive and put them all there?

I think they do hibernate in winter time,and they will need some sort of shelter.

ASFIK they build up on food and reserves,like alot of animals would,comming into the cold wintertime.

It might be noo harm to provide some sort of shelter for them,so that can use it,when they need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

biko wrote: »

You dont have any fruit and veg growing which they love to eat? they are bloody pests :mad: Kill 'em all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

It depends on what you are into...they can do some fair damage to your garden but some people are into encouraging insects, although I would draw the line at snails.

I would not do anythig special for them as generally things like that look after themselves.

At the same, it is a good idea not to be too tidy in your garden (you should leave some wood lying around or leafs in a dark corner, etc) as it can help "overwinter" beneficial insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a compost, well heaps of leaves in a corner, so they can stay there I guess.
    They were all over the walls outside for weeks but today most have left.

Advertisement