Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this? (raw spot on dogs neck)

• 12-10-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, hoping you might be able to help...
    I was petting Chloe just there & discovered a small hard spot on her neck. I parted the hair & found something like a little clot of scab/hair. I figured I was looking for a tick at this point.
    When I tried to take away the clot it came away with the hair very easily (like shedding hair). There was nothing in it. When I examined the skin for a tick I couldn't find any, but here's a picture of her skin:

6236736541_e3bdd9248a_b.jpg

Also attached

Any ideas what this is? She runs around under bushes, so perhaps it's just a graze? ...or should In just take her to the vet??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is the area wet and gooey? If so it could be wet excema, ie a Hot Spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Is there a hole where you picked the scab off? Or is it just red and flat? Hard to tell in that pic. Tick bites will leave a very distinctive hole under the scab where they've tunnelled, my dog used to get them all the time. If it is, keep it clean until it heals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

anniehoo wrote: »
    Is there a hole where you picked the scab off? Or is it just red and flat?
    No hole, it's red and flat almost like a burst blister.

There was no scab really, except what was clumped in the hair. Not gooey either.

I'll keep an eye on it & keep it clean.

Hummm checked it this morning, a scab has formed, but there's another one about a inch away. Think I'll just take her into the vet :(

...so went to the vet yesaterday. It was "hotspots". Top marks andreac!!! :D

I'm delighted. He gave poor chloe a hair cut & some cream. Hopefully it clears up quickly. ....if she stops scratching it! :rolleyes:

For those interested
    6245989214_40f977139c_b.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement