Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board for a beginner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im relatively new to surfing and I'm looking for advice on which board is best to buy. I've decided I want a mini-mal shape around the 7"10 to 8" mark. Something like this is what I have in mind: http://store.magicseaweed.com/BIC-79-Natural-Surf-Package-Blue-2011-Surfboard/Item/13934/

Thats a good strong board, will not get damaged and will hold its value. Ask your local shop to match the price though. Your English link is £ 250 sterling plus £ 30 carriage = £ 280 , sterling, which is about 325 euro. I know the Bic stockist in Sligo sells them ( inc a better quality 7mm padded board bag ) for that as well anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Save yourself further cash by not bothering with a bag. A BIC won't need one!

But Do Shop Local!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would 2nd what Cecil Mor said regarding shopping local and definitely no need for a bag for a Bic, practically indestructible.

Might be worth checking the likes of done-deal or adverts.ie too, usually a bic or two knocking around on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I am 5 9 and 150lbs when I started I used my mates BIC 7 10" for 3 months, he came back and I bought a NSP 7 6" big difference, the NSP turns so much easier, the BIC is a heavy board. Also you don't need a bag for either as they will take abuse. Go with the NSP it is a better board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

this is a much better deal, free shipping, lease, bag & wax. I have bought boards off these guys before for myself & brothers with no issues.

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/bic-surf-73-mini-mal-surfboard-2011-copy-i17068.ht

i think there used to be a discount code in the sticky too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

And if you have a problem with em, how do you get the board back:eek:

Some super start up deals in local shops at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

ive never heard of anyone ever having a problem with a bic surf board, there a 7 1/2 foot lump of plastic. Virtualy indestructable

As for custom service
    i did once not recieve my 'free' board bag once so i got onthe phone & the company asked me to wait another week & when it never arrived they happily sent out another one, with some extra free wax too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

gigino wrote: »
    Thats a good strong board, will not get damaged and will hold its value. Ask your local shop to match the price though. Your English link is £ 250 sterling plus £ 30 carriage = £ 280 , sterling, which is about 325 euro. I know the Bic stockist in Sligo sells them ( inc a better quality 7mm padded board bag ) for that as well anyway.

None of the shops in Galway stock bic boards. There are other similar plastic boards by a company called "surf series" but I don't know anything about them and they are more expensive. Return trip to sligo will cost me 60e in petrol. So I think the cheapest option is to buy online. I know a lot of people who surf and most have said that the bic boards are good for beginners and as long as I look after it I'll have no trouble selling it when I want to move on to a shorter board.

Thanks for the info!

Another question. What is the advantage of an epoxy/fibreglass board over a plastic one like the bic? Is it just that they are lighter and more agile? I assume they would also be more fragile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

There are other similar plastic boards by a company called "surf series" but I don't know anything about them and they are more expensive.
    Surf series boards are epoxy. They are slightly lighter than a bic but not as strong as a bic. Think they are made by NSP, but cheaper as they are plain white.

Return trip to sligo will cost me 60e in petrol.
    From Galway ? No way, unless you drive a hummer. Its only 90 miles / 140 km. I lived in Galway for a while and thought nothing of going to Sligo or Clare to go surfing. Depending on what you drive + speed etc, it should cost you more like 25 or 30 euro to drive to Sligo ( or Lahinch) + back. Combine it with a surf! And if you support the shops in Ireland then they will be there for you when you arrive at the beach one day and need a new leash or wax or fin.
    Another question. What is the advantage of an epoxy/fibreglass board over a plastic one like the bic? Is it just that they are lighter and more agile? I assume they would also be more fragile.
    yes, the epoxy is a bit lighter + a bit more fragile, but still more ding resistant than a polyester fibreglass board. With any board, do not drop it. Even the bics can get marked by impact - I saw one which arrived by carrier from england one and a pallet or something had put a dent in it, but it did not puncture the skin of the board, so it was still watertight. The bics are tough - you can save a few bob by not getting a bag with one, if funds are tight. The important thing is to get a board and go out anyway. A lot of people spend a hundred euro every Saturday night and have nothing to show for it.

So which would you guys recommend? Epoxy or plastic? I weight about 65 kilos and Im about 5 foot 11 maybe something around the 7 foot mark would be a good length for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

So which would you guys recommend? Epoxy or plastic? I weight about 65 kilos and Im about 5 foot 11 maybe something around the 7 foot mark would be a good length for me.
    Go with a 7' 6" nsp.

Decos wrote: »
    Go with a 7' 6" nsp.
    Just checked out that rip curl board link in your first post. That sounds like a v good deal in portwest man, id go for that if I were you plus you'd be supporting local business. Go for the 7' 6" id say.

polar58 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to crash in on this thread, Like the OP I'm also considering buying my first board, a mini mal / funboard.
    Iv been reading up a lot on here and other sites about them and narrowed it down to a few, just wondering what some of you experienced guys think, despite the links id be buying the board in a shop in Ireland rather than online (buy local and all that), well here are the one's im considering at the moment:

http://www.westbaysurfboards.co.uk/payment5/

Was thinking this might be the best option?, as they make custom boards and sound like they know what there talking about on the website and from reviews, instead of just making a big shiny piece of plastic (not that id know too much :D )

http://www.takeoffsurfboards.co.uk/mini-mals/takeoff-minimals-74v3.htm

have not seen many reviews on take off boards on here, i know a shop in sligo stock them, but dont know if there considered any good?

http://www.newsurfproject.com/funboard-76.html

and lots of people have commented on NSP's as a decent starter boards. Heard some other makes cortez etc.. pretty poor quality so would not like to make a poor choice. cheers for any feedback..and no worries if not :cool:
    Oh and that ripcurl looks nice man IMO!
    That westbay looks like a good board and a good price, id go for it. The nsp's are good beginner boards too.

I have a westbay shortboard and can vouch for them being good.

polar58 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to crash in on this thread, Like the OP I'm also considering buying my first board, a mini mal / funboard.
    Iv been reading up a lot on here and other sites about them and narrowed it down to a few, just wondering what some of you experienced guys think, despite the links id be buying the board in a shop in Ireland rather than online (buy local and all that), well here are the one's im considering at the moment:

http://www.westbaysurfboards.co.uk/payment5/

Was thinking this might be the best option?, as they make custom boards and sound like they know what there talking about on the website and from reviews, instead of just making a big shiny piece of plastic (not that id know too much :D )

http://www.takeoffsurfboards.co.uk/mini-mals/takeoff-minimals-74v3.htm

have not seen many reviews on take off boards on here, i know a shop in sligo stock them, but dont know if there considered any good?

http://www.newsurfproject.com/funboard-76.html

and lots of people have commented on NSP's as a decent starter boards. Heard some other makes cortez etc.. pretty poor quality so would not like to make a poor choice. cheers for any feedback..and no worries if not :cool:
    Oh and that ripcurl looks nice man IMO!

Get your own thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 polar58

Cheers for your opinion Decos,

Madyaker: I presume that was a joke

Yeah its ok I got most of the info I need, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 polar58

Removed my threads from this, so there is no confusion. Its all yours. Hope the board works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

you should go for a surf series 7"2, i got one at the start of the summer and still loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Westbay, forget the other two barges!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BB_1983

Westbay!!..I bought the 7'10 hybrid in early 2010, great buy, have tried many others since and still delighted with my purchase, great service and he will make changes to design if requested...Far better board than nsp/bic. Also he does epoxy boards which are more durable and less likely to damage than pu/poly which is better for starting i think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement